This... except not anymore... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:20 (3196 days ago) @ bluerunner

Do you hold your controller vertically when you play? If not, then there isn't an "up" or "down" for the sticks. Just forward and backwards.

[image]

This is exactly why I always used inverted controls, for years... until one day I just stopped.

All my years of playing FPS and space combat games left me feeling completely at home using inverted controls. But for some reason, it never felt right when I played 3rd person games. So I'd always switch to "normal" while playing Gears of War or something like that.

Back in the summer of 2013 I found myself playing a bunch of 3rd person games back-to-back. The Last of Us, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Tomb Raider, plus I was still playing a lot of Gears 3. Then one day I went to play some Halo, jumped into a match and... I couldn't do it. I just couldn't go inverted anymore. It's like old age set in over the summer and I became permanently set in my ways just as I was playing a bunch of 3rd person games. I've been stuck on "normal" ever since.

On a related note, I now wonder if that's why I still have trouble aiming Nova Bombs. I spent so many years switching my control layout based on 1st or 3rd person perspective; having my view change mid game triggers an impulse in my brain to "switch directions". I get momentarily flustered every single time I fire one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread