Law of the Jungle and why it sucks

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:14 (3983 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 19:11

Why use an established text in your work? Maybe because it says perfectly what you want to say. Well, if that's the case then you don't need to say anything do you, since the work that already exists is already saying it! And so your work is unoriginal.

You may use it because you wish to extend and add to what it says. This is good because it's more efficient. But Bungie didn't do this. Point me to a new idea that springs from that work with the proper insight only they can provide. Can't? Dang not looking good.

The other reason is to appear smart. I can reference this because I'm literary. How many people watching that ad do you think read the original? I'm betting few.

Why use Giancarlo Esposito? Why use Jon Favreau? I'm serious, anybody could have directed that piece. What about that could hundreds of other directors not have done? What about that required him to do it? At least when I worked on a car commercial directed by Wes Anderson, it was stop motion Mr. Fox style. So yes while the ad hyped his name, at least the result was distinct enough that only he could have done it.

The reason is for the name. The reason is to make it look serious.

Take us seriously. This literature is serious. This actor is serious. This director is serious. We're serious.

But it's not, because if it was then that would be apparent on its own.

ZOMG TAKE THIS GAME AND OUR INDUSTRY SERIOUSLY. If you have to say that, then you're not ready.

(Please note I am saying nothing of the craftsmanship of this piece, as it's obviously very well put together and that doesn't suck. What sucks is the idea of it.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread