Law of the Jungle and why it [rocks]

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 20:18 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or maybe it's just because quoting other works and referencing a longer lineage of stories of various mediums is something that has been done... forever... from the best authors to the worst, from Shakespeare to... somebody that isn't Shakespeare.

I already explained why that was okay but this isn't.

Except you forgot a facet - what if the quote can reflect back and help explain Bungie's side of things (and not just do all the work like you suggested)? Why can't an author use a quote to help a reader/viewer start to connect ideas they already have and bring them into the world of Destiny and use that to add even more substance and spark to their world?

It gets the ball rolling. It allows the audience to create connections the author can't even fathom and use their imagination to construct a new synthesis of Bungie designs and other laws of the jungle. New ideas are always created from combining other ideas. Maybe watchers might start thinking on Aesop's Fables (that's what I did). Maybe they'd think up a cool character that fits a similar story or fable.

I don't see how any of that can be bad, especially for younger folks. Maybe even some kids went out and read the quoted piece! I've done that before in other situations and when I see other people do that, I think it's awesome. Halo led me to a number of great science fiction novels!

Me, personally, immediately got new vibes about the style of Destiny from this trailer, and quite possibly it's cooperative gameplay (we'll see here soon if I'm right). And even if it doesn't show the actual game, it gives me food for thought. Something to think about when I'm taking a shower. I found it engaging and inspiring.

Oh, and there's also another explanation to include a quote other than greed and pretentiousness:

"It's neat."

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread