Law of the Jungle and why it sucks

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:49 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why use an established text in your work? Maybe because it says perfectly what you want to say. Well, if that's the case then you don't need to say anything do you, since the work that already exists is already saying it! And so your work is unoriginal.

You may use it because you wish to extend and add to what it says. This is good because it's more efficient. But Bungie didn't do this. Point me to a new idea that springs from that work with the proper insight only they can provide. Can't? Dang not looking good.

I'm not going to bother debating whether or not the trailer has anything remotely resembling deep meaning, or whether it expands on previous such ideas, but I don't really agree with this. Reflecting a suggestion from other literature onto another piece of work without expanding on what said original literature said in and of itself isn't a reasonable approach for an advertisement?

"This weird brew has some interesting salted caramel vibes..."
"Hey, would you mind not referencing salted caramel unless you have something to add to it?"

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread