Dying Light, hands down... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 07:15 (3051 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Korny, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 07:23

In a market over-saturated with zombies and other co-op games that vie for players' attention, Dying Light stood out.

It may not have been a narrative masterpiece, but the story was engaging and straightforward.
It may not have had bleeding-edge graphics, but the world was expansive and beautiful.
It may not be a lot of things, but for me, it was the two most important things: rewarding and fun.

Dropkicking a zombie as it chased your friend across rooftops? Priceless.
Igniting a flare at the last moment before you and your teammates were swarmed by Volatiles, then planning your next path as you regain stamina and the flare dies out? Intense.
Joining a random group of people, and terrorizing their game as a super zombie while they struggle to outwit you? So satisfying...

Dying Light is great, and the support that Techland has shown it is inspiring. Heck, they made a clever jab at Destiny's Red Bull promotion this year, then turned around and actually made free DLC because of it.

This is a game that I just absolutely loved from beginning to end, and the thing is that the "end" was hardly the end. I can't recall a game that has had so much stuff added to it post-launch (besides Warframe and Helldivers) without requiring players to buy something extra.
And the funny thing is that the game does have a Season Pass, which had a solid amount of content, but Techland has been working on a pseudo-sequel to the game, and instead of just charging players separately for it, they added it to the Season Pass for no extra charge to current owners (and they have given people a window to get it free if they don't have the Season Pass yet), and it looks crazy good:

(The new playspace is reportedly bigger than the main game's two current playspaces combined).

A real underrated gem.

PS. The game also has one of my absolute favorite trailers:

As for other games, The Witcher 3 is real fun, but I'm only about fifteen hours in, but I really dig it. It's like Fable 3 for grown-ups, and I'm addicted to the in-game card game, Gwent. I'd be down for playing it IRL, even.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread