It's cosmetic, and fighting games are different... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 20:52 (3025 days ago) @ Morpheus

For those of you that buy Marketplace content on a regular basis--have any of you come across ridiculously priced items on your favorite games? Does this look like some weird mistake to you or a company out for blood? Would you buy a game if something like this was actually required?

Fighting games can have a much longer lifespan than other games, because their fans tend to stick around for a while, and cosmetic gear is relatively simple to make.

People love to add personal touches to characters (especially when the vast majority of those characters are generously rendered females), and so they're more willing to dish out a couple of bucks for a piece of attire. Paying $90+ might not seem so crazy if you mostly only play that one game (I don't know many fighting game afficionados that play too much of other gaming genres), and you just neeeeed to have the complete "Halloween 2013 Costune Set" to go with the set from 2014 and 2015 for some reason.

I will admit that I had a ton of costume packs for DoA 4 and a couple for 5, and I never felt ripped off, despite the fact that I quit playing the game fairly quickly (PS4 came out shortly after Sammy got me DoA 5). I wouldn't buy one of those $90 packs though, but I wouldn't blink twice at hearing that someone did. I know guys who still play DoA 2 Ultimate.

*shrug* At the end of the day, it's entirely cosmetic. League of Legends is a bit more exploitative, since one particular character skin costs $25, and people shelled out for that in droves.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread