Leaked Footage: DestinyVR (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, January 31, 2016, 20:35 (3058 days ago)

I don't have many sources within Bungie, what fun would it be to speculate if I knew everything, but I do have some and late last night one of them delivered a whooper! Apparently, Sony is pushing Bungie hard to adapt Destiny to work with the up and coming PlayStation VR headgear. This, my source says, has been the real cause of the supposed delays in new content. Here's what little info he sent me:

What you are looking at here is a early test of the new DestinyVR system. This is a direct feed taken from what would be shown through the PlayStation VR headset. Everything you see is a virtual environment rendered to the highest fidelity. Some notable features:

-The big, obvious feature of DestinyVR is separating look from aiming and movement. With DestinyVR, if you look off to the side you will no longer be able to see the game. Look up or down and you'll be able to see the virtual ceiling and floor, just as you'd expect. We've worked very hard to make this feel as real as possible.

-Our animation team is very excited about our ability to accurately render finger and hand movement when you "look" down to your virtual controller. We also have a variety of immersive excitement and anger animations. (You'll spot one of the more dramatic ones near the end of the clip.)

- By augmenting the PlayStation VR's headset with additional GPS and reflector based movement tracking we've attempted to further smooth out looking around the VR environment. It's still a work in progress as you can still see some slight tracking jitter at times.

-Right now, the version of Destiny being played on the virtual television is running at reduced resolution and frame rate since we have to render the surrounding virtual environment. We are pretty confident that with some more optimization we'll be able to outperform regular (non-VR) Destiny running on the Xbox One by a wide margin thanks to the PlayStation 4's additional processing power.

- We do not have sound up and running yet, so I overlaid Reborn from the Destiny soundtrack to hint at the symbolism of Destiny moving into the new, exciting VR age. Be sure you note that bit of cleverness. ;)

And here's the video he attached. I don't know about you, but it looks to me like Bungie is very serious about entering the VR space!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread