After two failed Black Spindle attempts... (Destiny)

by ChaosSociety, Oregon, Friday, February 19, 2016, 04:25 (3040 days ago)

AND only getting a "Blow kiss" emote from Nightfall...
[image]

Am I the only one without a spindle?!?

I don't have one, but I haven't really tried to get one

by Robot Chickens, Friday, February 19, 2016, 05:46 (3040 days ago) @ ChaosSociety

- No text -

Same. After I get my third ToM I will try next time

by Kuga, Friday, February 19, 2016, 12:52 (3040 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

I have one, but use my 1000 yd stare instead.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, February 19, 2016, 13:46 (3040 days ago) @ ChaosSociety

It's good, but if you miss a crit shot it's no better than anything else. Other than golgoroth, where I really should use mine, I'm almost always better off with my triple tap 1000 yard stare.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, February 19, 2016, 14:09 (3040 days ago) @ slycrel

It's good, but if you miss a crit shot it's no better than anything else. Other than golgoroth, where I really should use mine, I'm almost always better off with my triple tap 1000 yard stare.

& the warpriest.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 19, 2016, 14:19 (3040 days ago) @ slycrel

This. No question, Black Spindle is potentially one of the most powerful guns in the game. But the situations where it can reach that potential reliably are few and far between.

Much as it pains me to say it...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 19, 2016, 16:50 (3040 days ago) @ slycrel

I love love LOVE my Black Spindle. I love the way it looks and sounds. I love the insane wrath-of-God level of damage it deals when you get on a roll of crits. I infused mine up to 320 specifically to shred Golgoroth as quickly as possible. But you're absolutely right. There are so few scenarios in Destiny where Black Spindle stands out as the best sniper to use, especially given the cost of an exotic slot. I've got a 320 Eirene RR4 with Luck in the Chamber and a 318 1000 Yard Stare with Tripple Tap, both of which hit almost as hard as the Spindle while handling better with larger clips. Plus they free me up to use my 320 Sleeper Simulant or 320 Gjallar-Sword, both of which do even more damage than a Spindle in most situations.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 19, 2016, 17:29 (3040 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I love love LOVE my Black Spindle. I love the way it looks and sounds. I love the insane wrath-of-God level of damage it deals when you get on a roll of crits. I infused mine up to 320 specifically to shred Golgoroth as quickly as possible. But you're absolutely right. There are so few scenarios in Destiny where Black Spindle stands out as the best sniper to use, especially given the cost of an exotic slot. I've got a 320 Eirene RR4 with Luck in the Chamber and a 318 1000 Yard Stare with Tripple Tap, both of which hit almost as hard as the Spindle while handling better with larger clips. Plus they free me up to use my 320 Sleeper Simulant or 320 Gjallar-Sword, both of which do even more damage than a Spindle in most situations.

I tried to use my Black Spindle last night during a couple of (failed) Black Spindle runs. (I wanted the ship. ;) )

I totally agree with you - it was a mistake.

Black Spindle is CRITICAL for Warpriest/Golgoroth. Touch of Malice is CRITICAL for Sisters/Oryx. Both guns are close to useless for all other parts of Destiny. However, even with such limited use... both guns are among my most prized Destiny possessions. ;)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 19, 2016, 18:06 (3040 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Black Spindle is CRITICAL for Warpriest/Golgoroth. Touch of Malice is CRITICAL for Sisters/Oryx. Both guns are close to useless for all other parts of Destiny. However, even with such limited use... both guns are among my most prized Destiny possessions. ;)

I would out damage a lot of people on Golgoroth / Warpriest during raids by using 1000 yard stare, combined with Sleeper. Cruel was usually the only one who had higher numbers. I wouldn't say it's critical.

I can't speak for Touch of Malice. I never leveled it (thus never really used it) since I'm not farming those fucking Hadium flakes.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, February 19, 2016, 18:27 (3040 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I can't speak for Touch of Malice. I never leveled it (thus never really used it) since I'm not farming those fucking Hadium flakes.

Last night I tried my newly acquired Touch of Malice on the Oryx fight. I didn't love it. Maybe because it's at 310, maybe I just need to get use to it? I dunno.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 19, 2016, 21:11 (3040 days ago) @ dogcow

Last night I tried my newly acquired Touch of Malice on the Oryx fight. I didn't love it. Maybe because it's at 310, maybe I just need to get use to it? I dunno.

A 320 ToM can take down ogres by itself almost fast enough to complete the Oryx challenge (it's non-trivial, because you have no margin of error, and others will have to get the 4th knight... I don't know of any other weapon (or weapon combo) that can do that consistently. This is only relevant when you're down to 5 players, but that happens occasionally, and not having to wipe is a nice thing.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 19, 2016, 21:27 (3040 days ago) @ Claude Errera

A 320 ToM can take down ogres by itself almost fast enough to complete the Oryx challenge (it's non-trivial, because you have no margin of error, and others will have to get the 4th knight... I don't know of any other weapon (or weapon combo) that can do that consistently. This is only relevant when you're down to 5 players, but that happens occasionally, and not having to wipe is a nice thing.

I generally find the Oryx fight goes more smoothly if you have a couple ToMs in the mix, but not too many. They're great for killing Ogres, and critical for keeping Oryx's chest open during the bomb detonation, but they're not so good for dealing with general mobs. We did really well last night having a mix of ToM, Black Spindles, and Sleeper Simulants all going at the same time. Our snipers were taking down Ogres in the blink of an eye (I often barely had time to fire a 2nd shot at them), Sleepers were blasting Light-Eater Knights the moment they appeared, and ToMs kept Oryx vulnerable while the rest of us detonated the bombs. We finished 3 Heroic Challenge battles in 3 hours, which is pretty smooth all things considered :)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, February 19, 2016, 18:33 (3040 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Not sure I agree, my raid sniper was doing a good job of taking down the Ogres on the Orxy fight, well enough that I'd think two snipers could handle them just fine. Sure, TOM might make it easier, but I didn't feel like I was missing out without it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 19, 2016, 18:35 (3040 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

On hard mode I have found that sleeper stimulant is great for the light eater Knights. One shot and done. Save the snipes for the ogres and staggering.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread