Router recommendations (Off-Topic)

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 18:47 (3034 days ago)

I think our router (some Netgear product) - at least the WiFi portion of it - is on the fritz. WiFi is pretty inconsistent on all devices (and we have a fair amount of them): when it works, it's great, but when it's not working, it doesn't work at all. I tried switching everyone over to the 5G band from the 2.4 band, and that worked for a few weeks, but now it's acting up again.

So... barring any suggestions about how to fix it (I'm open to them and halfway capable, but you'll lose me when you start talking acronyms), I'm in the market for a new router.

First: any recommendations? Looking for strong, reliable WiFi and XBL compatible.
Second: does the Apple AirPort Extreme work well with XBL? I ask because all my other devices are Apple products, so I was leaning that route.

Other information that may or may not be pertinent: We have 6 devices that are hardwired (four via a four-port switch) to the router. Everything else is WiFi. Hardwired devices do not seem to have problems at the moment.

Thanks!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread