Rules on Triple Tap? (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 26, 2016, 16:33 (3032 days ago)

I mentioned this to some folks I was playing IB with last night, and the consensus seemed to be that something was wonky. Figured I'd open it up to a bigger group. :)

I grabbed a clip the other day - don't mind the crappy play at the beginning, it's there to point out that at least 20 seconds go by while I'm either dead or shooting MIDA. Near the end, I respawn (again), notice a Golden Gunner, and snipe him - and Triple Tap procs on my sniper.

Now, I can't tell you how long it had been since the last sniper shot... but the video proves that it was at LEAST 20 seconds. Everyone I talked to about this, though, suggested that Triple Tap required 3 precision shots IN CLOSE SUCCESSION - so is this video evidence of a glitch, or evidence that we don't understand Triple Tap as well as we think we do?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Louis%20Wu/video/15149002

Nice shot.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 26, 2016, 16:37 (3032 days ago) @ Claude Errera

None of my snipers have Triple Tap, so I have nothing to contribute :(

Rules on Triple Tap?

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, February 26, 2016, 16:49 (3032 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I only have anecdotal evidence, because I notice I get the tripe tap to proc sometimes in PvP, but only after 1 "shot" with my sniper.

I have assumed that 3 headshots in a row, not just by my sniper, will trigger this. But I've not taken the time to actually track this down. Because in PvP I don't care about triple tap. =)

Rules on Triple Tap?

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 26, 2016, 16:58 (3032 days ago) @ slycrel

I only have anecdotal evidence, because I notice I get the tripe tap to proc sometimes in PvP, but only after 1 "shot" with my sniper.

I have assumed that 3 headshots in a row, not just by my sniper, will trigger this. But I've not taken the time to actually track this down. Because in PvP I don't care about triple tap. =)

Well, I fired a bunch of MIDA misses/body shots just before that single snipe - so I suppose it's possible it's just broken, and I didn't get ANY headshots before this one... I can't remember how the early part of the game went. :(

(I don't care much about it either; I just thought about it when this happened because there'd been a conversation here just a day or so before about how useless Triple Tap was in PvP. It was fresh in my mind. ;) )

I've also seen it proc at weird times.

by Funkmon @, Friday, February 26, 2016, 17:11 (3032 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I did a lot of testing with this since I love extra ammo, and the only thing that definitely kills it is a reload action.

You're also definitely fine within a few seconds, like 5-6, in between shots. It feels like an eternity.

However, I've gotten it to proc after switching guns, after I die, and so on. I cannot reproduce this reliably, though. It appears to be a bit wonky.

Headshot/Crit perks seem to be a bit funny

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 26, 2016, 17:35 (3032 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I noticed back in September that the headshot perks associated with The Chaperon would also apply to your primary weapon once triggered. I don't have a Sniper with Triple Tap, but I know my Hung Jury will proc Triple Tap even if I miss a bunch of shots in between crit hits... as long as the crits are within a second or two of each other. So
it's conceivable that you hit enough crits with your Mida before switching to the sniper to get the perk to proc. Of course, that's working under the assumption that the time you spent dead didn't factor into the time between shots needed to activate the perk.

Yeah, so...

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 26, 2016, 17:48 (3032 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I noticed back in September that the headshot perks associated with The Chaperon would also apply to your primary weapon once triggered. I don't have a Sniper with Triple Tap, but I know my Hung Jury will proc Triple Tap even if I miss a bunch of shots in between crit hits... as long as the crits are within a second or two of each other. So
it's conceivable that you hit enough crits with your Mida before switching to the sniper to get the perk to proc. Of course, that's working under the assumption that the time you spent dead didn't factor into the time between shots needed to activate the perk.

So what I'm getting from this conversation is that Triple Tap is totally broken. ;)

I downloaded that video so I could step through it. First encounter: 4 seconds, 3 body shots, one miss, all with MIDA. I die, respawn 5 seconds later.

Second encounter: 2 MIDA misses (I was shooting blindly based on radar, and hitting trees), then I switch to my sniper. I was unsure whether I'd taken a shot or not, but I had the same number of bullets after I respawned (the second time), so the evidence says I didn't shoot. 5 seconds of shooting/aiming, 5 more seconds of death. Spawned again, looked around for 3 seconds, got SUPER lucky the golden gun shot missed me, shot.

So:

- 23 seconds (at least) between sniper shots
- 0 crit primary shots during the intervening time (6 shots total, 3 misses, 3 body shots)
- 13 seconds of alive time (at least) between sniper shots (or between crit shots of ANY kind)

If time figures into the Triple Tap proc algorithm, it's broken, by any measure. :)

Yeah, so...

by Kahzgul, Friday, February 26, 2016, 19:31 (3032 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I wonder if this is related to the "assist" messages I've been seeing randomly this IB. As in I'll just be walking around, not near anyone, having not fired a shot in a long time, and "Assist +50" appears on my screen. I actually opened a game with this where my buddy sniped a guy in the head for first blood and two of us got assist messages. Only one shot had been fired in the entire game at that point, but our team netted 210 points from it.

What I'm getting at is: I wonder if other people's headshots are somehow counting for your perk?

Yeah, so...

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, February 26, 2016, 19:47 (3032 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I've noticed the same. It's weird to not have done anything in a while and then suddenly get a medal.

Yeah, so...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 26, 2016, 19:57 (3032 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

[image]

Nice

by Kahzgul, Sunday, February 28, 2016, 02:04 (3031 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Whoa. Never considered that!

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 26, 2016, 23:00 (3032 days ago) @ Kahzgul

What I'm getting at is: I wonder if other people's headshots are somehow counting for your perk?

This would be interesting. :) It certainly happens for some things (I remember having almost a thousand kills as a Warlock in Crucible before ever MAKING a Warlock character... turns out if you're standing near someone on your team who kills an enemy, that counter increments).

I guess I'll start paying attention. :)

Headshot/Crit perks seem to be a bit funny

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 26, 2016, 19:59 (3032 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's not just those. Surplus seems to apply to all weapon slots rather than just the one it's on, and hot swap affects other weapons once activated, if you swap back fast enough. Or so I'm told, haven't really tested the hot swap thing myself.

Correct on Hot Swap

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, February 26, 2016, 20:05 (3032 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Rules on Triple Tap?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 26, 2016, 19:50 (3032 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Now that you mention it, I remember an incident a few weeks ago where I had fired a couple of sniper shots, stowed the rifle for a while, then some time later I swapped to it and fired once, and noticed that Triple Tap had given me a round. Now, I wasn't paying close enough attention to know exactly how long it was, just that it had been long enough that I was pretty surprised it had activated.

I didn't think much of it at the time, I just assumed that maybe the window on Triple Tap was longer than I had thought. After all, I've never really tested it. I just assumed the shots had to be very close together. But you posting this now has made me wonder if something changed recently and Triple Tap is being more lenient than it's supposed to be.

SHUT UP! Ur Gona Get It Nurf'd!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, February 26, 2016, 20:12 (3032 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I honestly think it might just be consecutive, and not have anything to do with time, even though the perk might say that.

For instance, Army of One? It used to be Unassisted kills with this weapon reduce grenade and melee cooldown. Then it was changed to Quick unassisted kills with this weapon reduce grenade and melee cooldown. When I first saw this change, I was a little disappointed, but at one point I tested it out on the Dreadnaught, and in another private area. I shot an enemy on multiple occasions and waited between 30 and 90 seconds. And when I got back and killed that enemy, the perk triggered! I'm guessing they put 'quick' in there to convince us to get a move on, but it still works the way it used to--as long as no one else kills the enemy, you'll still get the perk opened.

In your situation, I can only assume that your last two sniper shots were head, because you fired MIDA a bunch of times and didn't fire your sniper at all. And maybe it just held onto that after all that time.

Hell of a shot, by the way.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread