Isn't this forum social media in some form? (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 04, 2016, 22:39 (3025 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Sure it's social media in some form, but it's not free-range social media. I'm not going to say that the latter is wholly bad or even mostly bad, but I do think there are negative consequences when it's used as a primary source of information. And it'd be foolish to say that the tools we use to communicate do not influence the way we communicate. (A letter I write with a fountain pen is always different than an e-mail I compose.) I'd take it further and say that the way we communicate through social media can and often does negatively affect how we communicate outside of social media (see Sherry Turkle).

Sure, the medium is the message and it forms our communication patterns. That being said, in relation to these thought germs- that has been going on throughout history. People form opinions of other groups and argue amongst themselves about how terrible that other group is. The lack of critical engagement with angering thoughts is not something unique to social media or our era in history. Humans are hard-wired towards tribalism and defining in/out group dynamics, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Of course "thought germs" are not unique or new but social media is new as a means to spread them.

I guess I don't think avoiding social media insulates us from that danger. Learning to identify the danger and subvert it is a valuable skill in any medium of communication.

I didn't to imply it did--at least not completely. Using your brain is always good. I contend that social media is changing our brains and the way we communicate, and the change is not positive.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread