Does anyone here use Roku or AppleTV or other streaming box? (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 22:19 (3019 days ago)

My parents have expressed unhappiness with their cable bill (who isn't unhappy with that?). They're viewing habits don't really warrant actually having cable. I've been trying to talk them into giving Roku or Apple TV a try.

I've never used either, so I'm looking for opinions. The Roku seems like a solid choice from what I can tell.

And related to this, does anyone have any experience with the big broadcast channels' apps? My dad will be find with a Roku, I'm sure, but my Mom likes to watch all the current NBC and CBS primetime dramas, and I'm not sure how available new shows are on their apps.

I think ultimately I might just end up spending the $40 on a Roku stick and make them spend a week testing it out and seeing if it'll fit their needs, but opinions are always nice.

Does anyone here use Roku or AppleTV or other streaming box?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 22:59 (3019 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If they like the current shows you probably need to include a Hulu subscription as part of the cost. That, or buying a season pass through iTunes if it is just a few shows.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 23:02 (3019 days ago) @ Vortech

If they like the current shows you probably need to include a Hulu subscription as part of the cost. That, or buying a season pass through iTunes if it is just a few shows.

That was actually the other question I meant to ask, but forgot. Does Hulu stay current with new shows on a weekly basis? I've never used it--I always thought it was a season behind what is currently on TV.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 23:06 (3019 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Most titles have a 24 hour delay.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 23:33 (3019 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Wait. If she watches NBC and CBS, don't use a Roku for her. Buy an antenna for like $9. Nbd.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 00:35 (3019 days ago) @ Funkmon

Wait. If she watches NBC and CBS, don't use a Roku for her. Buy an antenna for like $9. Nbd.

Well, that's true. The issue is getting Netflix and Hulu onto the television in a non-complicated way for them. Even something like Chromecast would be more than they're likely to deal with. Having a box with a familiar looking remote is basically a must.

by naturl selexion, Friday, March 11, 2016, 04:34 (3018 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Basic cable is generally pretty cheap, Netflix plus the very cheapest cable option covers all of our TV viewing needs.

Actually I could do without the cable but the wife wants to watch the news in the mornings - and yes I do have a high gain antenna to put up so the cable will be going away entirely before too long.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, March 11, 2016, 13:38 (3018 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Either work, you will need to advocate for a streaming service for them to get you what you want though.

AppleTV has all the major streaming services other than amazon (because amazon wants you to buy a fire stick and won't make an app). It's pretty easy to use. Most (all?) major broadcast networks have their own apps and you can stream a lot of the newer TV shows through them. The cable network apps often require a login with your cable service provider to provide much.

I use an Apple TV along with a netflix subscription and have no complaints. I hear mixed things about Hulu plus, but if current network TV series are your thing, it's a pretty safe option for streaming.

I hear roku's are now pretty capable other than a slightly higher learning curve. If you're in the apple ecosystem you may miss some things, if not then it's a pretty solid choice as well.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:18 (3018 days ago) @ slycrel

Either work, you will need to advocate for a streaming service for them to get you what you want though.

AppleTV has all the major streaming services other than amazon (because amazon wants you to buy a fire stick and won't make an app). It's pretty easy to use. Most (all?) major broadcast networks have their own apps and you can stream a lot of the newer TV shows through them. The cable network apps often require a login with your cable service provider to provide much.

This. I've found that "big three" network apps require this, too, but I could be wrong.

I use an Apple TV along with a netflix subscription and have no complaints. I hear mixed things about Hulu plus, but if current network TV series are your thing, it's a pretty safe option for streaming.

I hear roku's are now pretty capable other than a slightly higher learning curve. If you're in the apple ecosystem you may miss some things, if not then it's a pretty solid choice as well.

If they are an Apple household, I'd definitely recommend an Apple TV and when I purchase things, I like iTunes, unless Amazon is having a sale or something. That brings up one possible point in a Roku's favor. If Amazon Prime and Netflix are offered on the Roku, that broadens the selection of streaming content somewhat if your parents are Prime subscribers.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:29 (3018 days ago) @ Kermit

This. I've found that "big three" network apps require this, too, but I could be wrong.

We used Sling TV to get ESPN for a while. They count as a "cable" provider for the channels that you pay for so you can use their apps instead of the sling app if necessary.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, March 11, 2016, 17:17 (3018 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And related to this, does anyone have any experience with the big broadcast channels' apps? My dad will be find with a Roku, I'm sure, but my Mom likes to watch all the current NBC and CBS primetime dramas, and I'm not sure how available new shows are on their apps.

My thought on this is: who cares? They will still presumably possess a TV with an over-the-air tuner, so unless they really live in BFE they'll be able to watch NBC and CBS.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread