There is uh, more to it than that. (Fan Creations)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 00:43 (2920 days ago) @ Speedracer513

My brother has this Printrbot one that costs $600. A kilogram of 3D Printer Filament is about $20-25 on Amazon, and you could print a lot with that.

I have been using his printer to make a full-scale Hawkmoon (broken up into multiple parts due to the size limitations of the printer).

For an initial investment of $600, you could start churning out replica guns at less than $20 a piece on average.

Considerably more.

You don't just download the file, and then print it and suddenly $$$$.

3d printers require a lot of constant calibrations and adjustments before and after each print. It's not like an ink jet printer where you just plug it in and go.

It's a lot of trial and error, scaling and slicing of models and hours of waiting and hoping that the piece you just spent 12 hours printing doesn't mess up at the 95% completed mark.

(samples!)
[image]

[image]

[image]

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I'm just saying that 3d printers are still not main stream yet for a reason. They are getting better, but they aren't simple yet. Otherwise I'd have printed every halo thing I've ever wanted ever ;)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread