What is a registered player? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:19 (3065 days ago)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/4i1zlv/activision_working_with_bungie_to_deliver_more/

I'm interested in the '30 million registered players' stat. There is no possible way that Destiny has sold 30 million copies.

If I have three characters, does that mean there's three registered players?

What is a registered player?

by electricpirate @, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:21 (3065 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd guess anyone who has touched the game per platform, but not counting characters.

So that would also include people who bought it used, or if you switch PSN accounts etc.

I'd guess sales are 1/2 to 2/3 of that.

What is a registered player?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:27 (3065 days ago) @ electricpirate

Yeah. Probably different psn/Xbox users who share a console and used sales make up the delta.

Activision has clarified it's unique PSN/XBL accounts

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:28 (3065 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So not sales necessarily since used copies only count once, but probably relatively close to the number of actual sales.

From Engadget article when they first used the term:

"Update: We've received a response, and Activision says that the "registered users" refers to unique PlayStation Network / Xbox Live accounts, while multiple characters per account are not factored in. That's still potentially less than an exact 1:1 sales number, but reflects an impressive amount of sales since launch. Our only questions left? Why not be more specific from the beginning -- and when is the gunsmith going to be selling rare fusion rifles?"

On that note...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:32 (3065 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/4i1zlv/activision_working_with_bungie_to_deliver_more/

I'm interested in the '30 million registered players' stat. There is no possible way that Destiny has sold 30 million copies.

If I have three characters, does that mean there's three registered players?

I wonder what all High Moon is doing/has done.
Are they planning to bring in more folks for content (Certain Affinity comes to mind, with Doom around the corner)?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:33 (3065 days ago) @ Xenos

How many of those might be from the freely available demo version of the game?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:38 (3065 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How many of those might be from the freely available demo version of the game?

No idea, could even be possible they have a way to exclude those users, someone would have to ask Bungie or Activision to be sure.

Additional note

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:43 (3065 days ago) @ Xenos

VG Chartz currently estimates that all versions of Destiny (Original and TTK on all platforms) have sold ~16 million units. VG Chartz doesn't always have accurate numbers, but can usually give a ballpark idea how many they've sold. I also don't know how often they update their numbers.

My theory

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 06, 2016, 14:50 (3065 days ago) @ Korny

I wonder what all High Moon is doing/has done.
Are they planning to bring in more folks for content (Certain Affinity comes to mind, with Doom around the corner)?

I'd bet good money that High Moon is working on DLC/Expansion content for Des2ny, and has been for quite some time. I bet we'll see a similar formula over the next few years: Bungie focuses on sequels and possibly TTK-sized major expansions, as well as continuing the live team, while High Moon and other studios handle smaller expansions/DLC.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread