Let's be honest here (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, May 09, 2016, 18:54 (2960 days ago) @ marmot 1333

The huge difference is that Ghorn's wolfpack rounds had tracking, whereas Y1 Dragon's Breath only left damage in a very specific area that--as Korny said--usually no longer contained an enemy.

The way I see it, Dragon's Breath (both past and present versions) is an interesting weapon that has some very specific uses, but is ultimately undercut by Bungie's reliance on bullet-sponge enemies. For example, 1 or 2 Dragon's Breaths in the right hands can make a huge difference during the Abyss in Crota's End. They're a great way to clear "safe zones" at or between the lamps, giving your team some room to breath. Problem is the Crota's End raid is filled with Major-class foes, making Gjallarhorn the clear go-to exotic for most people, with the possible exception of Ice Breaker. Back when we were all level 30, CE Hard Mode was challenging enough that most teams needed all the DPS they could get, and that just didn't leave room for Dragon's Breath or most of the other exotics.

Things are better since Taken King, although if I'm going to take an exotic heavy into any end-game activities I find myself using Sleeper or Raze-Lighter almost exclusively. Although I do want to try taking Dragon's Breath into the Oryx fight one of these days. I was actually just talking about how the Oryx battle seems to be one of the most interesting encounters in Destiny in terms of the way many different weapons can fill niche roles within a team. Every time I run it, I see a mix of Sleepers, Black Hammers, Touch of Malice, Eirene RR4's and 1KYSs, Quillem's Terminus, etc. It's not like the Crota days where we reach the boss and 6 Gjallarhorns come out :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread