I made the switch to bumper jumper (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:39 (2948 days ago)

Holy crap, it's amazing. While playing with Slycrel and Vortech (so great to play with you guys!) I decided to make the switch and I'm so glad I did. Massive change to my ability to stay mobile and keep my aim on target while doing so. Interestingly, the advantage of being able to aim better while jumping has made me notice the blink nerf from year one for the first time. I used to think it was basically a worthless change, but now I see that the delay to weapon readiness after blinking has made it much harder for someone to blink above you and aim and kill you before they land - something I couldn't do before anyway because of needing to take my finger off the stick to jump.

Anyway, if you need to up your PvP game and don't want to spend the cash on an elite controller, I strongly recommend this control scheme.

Questions

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:44 (2948 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:59

What do you feel is the biggest improvement running bumper jumper?

What's the biggest hinderence?

What is the hardest thing to learn or un-learn to do?

Questions

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:53 (2947 days ago) @ Raflection

I've been using Bumper Jumper since Halo 3... I found the transition quite easy. Personally, I can't think of a single drawback to usin BJ with Destiny. It created a few tiny problems in Reach (it moved the Armor Ability to the A button, meaning you had to take your thumb off the right stick to use a jet pack). But overall I find it highly preferable to standard controls.

Questions

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:57 (2947 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Specially to Destiny though, is the only improvement to BJ that I can keep my thumbs on the sticks? And is it really worth the few milliseconds it would take me to switch regularly?

Does it give a better overall feel to the game in all aspects or only specifically PvP?

I'm very curious about trying this and wondering how long it would take me to adjust.

You adjust quickly, but I don't like it.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 20:15 (2947 days ago) @ Raflection

I understand the benefits, and experienced them. But, in the same way it's not hard to go back to the Halo 1 control scheme, there are reasons no games have that exact scheme today. It's a little weird. It makes more sense to put the stuff where it is in the default, IMO.

While I played a bit better using the bumper jumper scheme while jumping, I don't find the type of gameplay I do in Destiny, primarily vanguard stuff as opposed to crucible, requires it, and I find using the normal control scheme to be more comfortable.

You should definitely try it, you might like it, and it takes like an hour to get used to at most.

For me, the difference is huge.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 21:42 (2947 days ago) @ Raflection

Specially to Destiny though, is the only improvement to BJ that I can keep my thumbs on the sticks? And is it really worth the few milliseconds it would take me to switch regularly?

Does it give a better overall feel to the game in all aspects or only specifically PvP?

I'm very curious about trying this and wondering how long it would take me to adjust.

I'm a very aggressive player, in PvE and PvP. I'm constantly jumping around/over enemies, attacking from as many different angles as possible. Having the ability to jump, turn, and shoot without my right thumb ever leaving the stick is crucial for that style of play. I'll make a point of recording a few video clips the next time I play, just to show the things I do that aren't really possible without Bumper Jumper.

Eh. On-air aim sucks in Destiny, most times

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 29, 2016, 23:19 (2947 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So unless the weapon I'm using has that perk to shoot in the air accurately, I'd rather be able to melee and throw grenades while aiming.

by squidnh3, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 23:22 (2947 days ago) @ ZackDark

This is kind of one downside. I have an Elite controller, so I can do everything while jumping, but that doesn't mean I should.

It certainly makes jumping puzzles easier though (unless you are Kermit).

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 30, 2016, 17:15 (2947 days ago) @ squidnh3

This is kind of one downside. I have an Elite controller, so I can do everything while jumping, but that doesn't mean I should.

It certainly makes jumping puzzles easier though (unless you are Kermit).

I heard that. ;)

I think it was the warlock whose jumping was problematic in terms of the paddles.

I might try bumper jumper. Isn't it just called jumper in Destiny?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, May 30, 2016, 17:16 (2947 days ago) @ Kermit

I might try bumper jumper. Isn't it just called jumper in Destiny?

Yep!

Not if you use the right weapons :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 23:58 (2947 days ago) @ ZackDark

Shotguns and fusion rifles are fantastic in mid-air. I get FR kills while jumping all the time, because nobody expect to get shot at from that angle and that distance. Plus I constantly get grenade and melee kills while jumping around or over my target.

Beyond that, it's very important for situational awareness. Even if I'm not shooting, I can track a target as I jump over them, rotating in mid-air so I'm already facing them when I land. I also use it as I'm rounding corners. I jump and rotate so my jump caries me around a corner while I turn to face sideways, basically doing an airborn strafe but with the speed of a forward sprinting jump. This means I'm not rotating corners blind.

I recorded this match last night. It has a few examples of the kinds of movements I'm talking about. It's subtle stuff, but if you pay attention you'll see a few examples of attacks and movements that couldn't be done anywhere near as effectively without BJ.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 30, 2016, 00:25 (2947 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Oh, I'm not saying it's useless, I'm just saying I give grenades and melee more value over shooting. Also, gotta get me one of those The Vacancy. Good lord, dat range.

Thanks for the gameplay

by Raflection, Monday, May 30, 2016, 06:18 (2947 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I noticed some very tight corners there and as we know, turning radius in Destiny is a struggle bus by itself.

That hunter dodging your move bomb at 1:58 made me laugh real loud.

I think I'll give this a try tonight when I play

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, May 30, 2016, 13:32 (2947 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This explains some of the things I've seen you pull off at a distance and wonder "how did he...?"

It's especially noticeable right after you spawn and fight the sword guy there. No way could you have done that without bumper jumper.

I might have to give it a try. It'll take a lot of re-training though.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 02, 2016, 13:34 (2944 days ago) @ slycrel

I might have to give it a try. It'll take a lot of re-training though.

Do it! You'll get confused for a week or two, but after that it'll be worth it (maybe). I made the swap to Puppeteer and I've been much happier with it than I was with Green Thumb.

Drawbacks I see with Bumper Jumper are:
1- Activating your super is off thumb-stick thus diminishing your ability to aim it.
2- Crouch is also off thumb-stick.

by Kahzgul, Monday, May 30, 2016, 12:27 (2947 days ago) @ ZackDark

So unless the weapon I'm using has that perk to shoot in the air accurately, I'd rather be able to melee and throw grenades while aiming.

Just FYI you can melee (R3) and throw grenades (R1) at the same time as aiming when using bumper jumper.

Oh, so it's a Green Thumb/Bumper Jumper hybrid

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 30, 2016, 13:51 (2947 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I might actually check that out, then.

Where is sprint and Supers mapped, though?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, May 30, 2016, 14:25 (2947 days ago) @ ZackDark

I might actually check that out, then.

Where is sprint and Supers mapped, though?

Bumper Jumper puts melee on R3, Sprint on L3. Grenade is R1.

So in terms of sacrifices, the only minor drawback is that you need to take your thumb off the stick to hit your super button. But I don't find that to be a problem because all supers are either used by aiming and firing with the trigger, or there's enough of a delay that you have time to get your thumb back on the stick and adjust your aim before it launches.

[image]

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, June 03, 2016, 16:46 (2943 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Ha. I had actually never taken a look at the screen just assuming it would be exactly the same as bumper jumper. That does seem like an improvement, but I wish they would switch crouching and super. I envision me constantly blowing myself up when I'm trying to jump.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 21:04 (2941 days ago) @ Vortech

Ha. I had actually never taken a look at the screen just assuming it would be exactly the same as bumper jumper. That does seem like an improvement, but I wish they would switch crouching and super. I envision me constantly blowing myself up when I'm trying to jump.

I do this pretty often. Why make the easiest to access button on the controller also the least used? Silly choice.

Questions

by Kahzgul, Monday, May 30, 2016, 12:25 (2947 days ago) @ Raflection

The biggest improvement is that I'm able to jump while still aiming right at my desired target. Close second: I am *much* more nimble in the air now as I can easily turn my field of view while jumping.

I dislike having grenade and melee on the same side of the controller. Also, there's no controller layout that has jump on one the bumper and crouch on the other bumper, which I'd like more. The whole point is that I can move while aiming, but then if I want to crouch (or shadestep) I can't aim at the same time.

I sometimes panic and press X to jump which both doesn't jump because it's not jump and, I have discovered, wastes my melee attack because apparently pressing the super button when your super isn't up melees instead (which makes no sense).

Questions

by Raflection, Monday, May 30, 2016, 17:54 (2946 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I sometimes panic and press X to jump which both doesn't jump because it's not jump and, I have discovered, wastes my melee attack because apparently pressing the super button when your super isn't up melees instead (which makes no sense).

This seems to be the biggest concern for me. Having super in one button, that and melee and grenade on the same side of the pad

Questions

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 13:19 (2946 days ago) @ Raflection

This seems to be the biggest concern for me. Having super in one button, that and melee and grenade on the same side of the pad

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of melee and grenade on the same side. I'd actually like it much more if the jump and grenade buttons were swapped. That being said, I've now tried all of the control schemes and this one is the only one that made a significant impact on my actual combat effectiveness, and it did so in a positive way.

Puppeteer vs Bumper

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 15:31 (2946 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I always wished there were a combination if the two. Sliding with the stick is invaluable for both fleeing and sliding into an attack. I guess technically I can remap my PS4 control scheme however the hell I like, but Im stuck in my Puppeteer ways now.

Puppeteer vs Bumper

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 16:04 (2946 days ago) @ someotherguy

I always wished there were a combination if the two. Sliding with the stick is invaluable for both fleeing and sliding into an attack. I guess technically I can remap my PS4 control scheme however the hell I like, but Im stuck in my Puppeteer ways now.

Or you know, they could just have customizable controls. It's not impossible on consoles. They just choose not to do it.

Puppeteer vs Bumper

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 16:20 (2946 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As I say, PS4 has customisable controls built into the OS, as if to illustrate your point. Would be nice if it was available from within the game - PS4 only has one custom profile, and it's inconvenient to change. I wonder why more games don't do this?

Puppeteer vs Bumper

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 21:58 (2945 days ago) @ someotherguy

As I say, PS4 has customisable controls built into the OS, as if to illustrate your point. Would be nice if it was available from within the game - PS4 only has one custom profile, and it's inconvenient to change. I wonder why more games don't do this?

I've wondered this for a long time, too. It would be easy to append custom controls to your save files and they wouldn't add much data at all, basically just one array (or, if you're being super economical, a single string that needs parsing later).

I use Puppeteer

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 16:49 (2946 days ago) @ someotherguy

I also wish I could move jump to something where I don't need to leave the stick. I also use Kontrol Freaks and have a higher right stick than left stick, so I have about a half inch further to travel down to get to the buttons. I don't think I'll be dropping the money for an Elite Controller any time soon though to get around this.

PSA: On Xbox One You Can Remap Buttons

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 16:54 (2946 days ago) @ BeardFade

Works with both the elite controller and the standard one. There are a few things the elite controller can do that the standard one can't of course, but remapping buttons is allowed for both.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/customize-standard-controller-with-accessories-app

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread