Quitting in team games. Is it acceptable ? (Destiny)

by Fire Opal, Friday, June 03, 2016, 05:56 (2943 days ago)

Other than life which sometimes intervenes or the assortment of animal codes booting you from the game in my view there is no excuse. I hate it when people quit when the team is losing.

There is always a possibility, no matter how remote, that the loss can be clawed back. If someone leaves then that possibility is reduced. Two people left in a match today when we were a mere 2000 points behind with about 3 mins left to play. It's unlikely but we could have pulled back.

If these individuals were playing in say a football ( soccer for our American friends lol) match and walked of the pitch when 2 goals down I would like to hear what the coach had it say or I probably wouldn't like to hear ! I doubt though that it happens very often so why quit in Crucible

Yes, IMO.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, June 03, 2016, 10:21 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

Video games are supposed to be fun, if you aren't having fun you shouldn't continue the activity.

Of course, I don't particularly value winning or losing so I can have fun while down a lot or be bored out of my mind when my team is crushing.

Yeap.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 03, 2016, 10:46 (2943 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I don't quit, but I have never felt ire towards someone who did.

Yes, IMO.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:36 (2943 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Dunno, I think it's a valid point to quit if you're not having fun, but it's very bad sportsmanship if you quit during a match. Quit when the match is over, I say.

Yes, IMO.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, June 03, 2016, 16:18 (2943 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm a bad person, but I don't believe in sportsmanship in video games.

I would totally be in favor of some sort of matchmaking time-out if you quit out of a game or two, though. I just have no personal investment in the people I'm playing with.

Yeah, you and Funk are the worst

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 03, 2016, 18:27 (2942 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

;p

Yes, IMO.

by BlackstarBSP, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 13:20 (2942 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I'm a bad person.
I just have no personal investment in the people I'm playing with.

That much is obvious.

lol

by Funkmon @, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 22:55 (2941 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

- No text -

Yes, IMO.

by Fire Opal, Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:36 (2943 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I can see your point of view and agree that games should be fun. Sure I like to win but I also have fun trying to get back from a losing position.

I always feel that I can't let my team mates down by leaving even though they may be randoms on the Internet.

I agree

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Friday, June 03, 2016, 19:38 (2942 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Pretty much the only reason I quit is I'm not having fun. Frankly, I'm not a good person to be around when I'm pissed and/or not having fun. It's better on my entire life, family and friends if I leave a game that I'm not having fun in.

Frankly, I mostly quit when I'm feeling cheated. A whole team of lagging SOBs will make me do that really quickly.

Habitual quitting is inappropriate.

by DEEP_NNN, Friday, June 03, 2016, 11:42 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

- No text -

Quitting in team games. Is it acceptable ?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, June 03, 2016, 12:44 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

When rolling solo for an evening and you get dropped into losing match after losing match. you bet your rear I'm going to quit. I'll probably even turn the game off for the rest of the night because of continually getting screwed over. That is just bad design. The game is supposed to be fun and that is simply not fun.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 03, 2016, 13:22 (2943 days ago) @ unoudid

Not only are Destiny's Matchmaking and Join In Progress system flawless, they are a veritable gift to all of mankind.

Do not question them.

by Fire Opal, Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:42 (2943 days ago) @ unoudid

I do agree that it is irritating to be put into a game that is obviously lost, after heavy has happened and with no super. That, as you say, is bad game design.

There should be some compensating factor such as landing with your super charged or extra crucible and faction rep if you arrive midway in a game. That would make things fairer and might encourage people to stay.

+1

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:54 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

If Bungie's not going to ditch JIP, they should DEFINITELY make the changes you mentioned.

...but they should just ditch JIP.

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, June 03, 2016, 15:03 (2943 days ago) @ CyberKN

If Bungie's not going to ditch JIP, they should DEFINITELY make the changes you mentioned.

...but they should just ditch JIP.

Yes please! Just get rid of the system. It really makes playing solo terrible. I was dropped in to an IB match monday night where the other team has 19k points to my teams 10k points. no reason that should ever be allowed to happen.

JIP needs improvement, not removal.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 03, 2016, 15:28 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

I do agree that it is irritating to be put into a game that is obviously lost, after heavy has happened and with no super. That, as you say, is bad game design.

There should be some compensating factor such as landing with your super charged or extra crucible and faction rep if you arrive midway in a game. That would make things fairer and might encourage people to stay.

I think those are excellent improvements that could be made to Join in Progress. They should also (further?) restrict candidate games for JIP. I'm thinking something similar to the mercy rule, but more aggressive.

Other games handle it better...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 02:26 (2942 days ago) @ Fire Opal
edited by Korny, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 02:40

Black Ops 3: If you join a game in progress and lose, it doesn't count against your win/loss ratio. It's essentially free XP.

Uncharted 4: If you're dropped into a game in progress, you're given a huge chunk of currency so that you can immediately upgrade your gear or activate powerups/friendly AI.

I think Destiny could definitely benefit from something similar, such as having a full super if it would have normally been filling up, or a chunk of your Heavy equipped if the Heavy drop has passed.

To help prevent people from quitting when joining a losing match, they could be given a 7% increased chance at higher-light Legendary/Exotic gear after the match (players who didn't quit the match after their teammate(s) left could get a 5% increased loot drop). That way if the situation looks grim, at least you'd have a higher chance of loot waiting for you after the match, and if you join-in-progress, you don't get a loss on your stats. I also like your extra rep suggestion.

Shaxx should chew them out.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 03, 2016, 13:28 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal
edited by dogcow, Friday, June 03, 2016, 13:33

Edit: It's rude to walk out on a team game IRL just because you're losing. Why should it be any different online? You've still committed to playing a game with other humans that requires a group to be enjoyable.

Edit2: I guess I'm saying is that it's the same as walking out on a pickup game of basketball just because you're losing. You're a poor sport if you do.

Shaxx should chew them out.

by Fire Opal, Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:23 (2943 days ago) @ dogcow

That's how I look at it. Bad sportsmanship

Shaxx should mock them. (FTFM)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 03, 2016, 15:59 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

- No text -

Disagree, for the most part.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 03, 2016, 18:39 (2942 days ago) @ dogcow

Matches are 10 minutes or less.

If you have a few people bail on you, and all hope is lost, feel free to bail yourself and jump into a new game.

There are all sorts of reasons why people drop out of a game. Shaming other players into playing how you feel they should is not the answer. It's a gameplay design flaw if the rewards of playing out a match aren't enough for people to stick it out a few minutes until the next match. You're joining a team that will often be with you over multiple matches unless you jump ship and find a new group.

I've joined a number of already in progress games where my team won and we started out as the losing team.

When I'm dumped into a game where the score is 5000 to 15000 I'm less excited about it -- but usually in a minute or so the match is over and things get reset there anyway.

It sounds funny to passive-aggressive-me. :)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 03, 2016, 19:08 (2942 days ago) @ slycrel

Matches are 10 minutes or less.

If you have a few people bail on you, and all hope is lost, feel free to bail yourself and jump into a new game.

It would just end up becoming a vicious cycle if everyone left whenever things weren't looking good. It's a slippery slope. Also, only sticking around if the game is close leads to every game either being abandoned or being a "sweaty" game, and we know how the community (or at least the vocal top tier players) love to whine about sweaty games.

There are all sorts of reasons why people drop out of a game. Shaming other players into playing how you feel they should is not the answer. It's a gameplay design flaw if the rewards of playing out a match aren't enough for people to stick it out a few minutes until the next match. You're joining a team that will often be with you over multiple matches unless you jump ship and find a new group.

I think it'd be funny and fitting to hear Shaxx lightly mock you when you leave a game. "Is the competition to stiff for you guardian?" or "You could have turned the tide!" or some quip about not trusting you to have his back in a battle or some such. It would entirely fit with the the game world and (maybe) discourage guardians from leaving their teammates to the wolves.

Yes, there are TONS of very valid reasons why people drop out of a game, and I don't think people sh/would feel bad about having to leave for a valid reason.

So, how do we fix it? We already have rewards at the end of each game which are not tied to winning or losing, what else can we do to encourage people to stick around? Put them in match making timeout/cooldown when they leave a game?

I dunno, IMHO this is all to add to the fun of a game. People abandoning a team isn't fun for either side.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 03, 2016, 13:43 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

Other than life which sometimes intervenes or the assortment of animal codes booting you from the game in my view there is no excuse. I hate it when people quit when the team is losing.

There is always a possibility, no matter how remote, that the loss can be clawed back. If someone leaves then that possibility is reduced. Two people left in a match today when we were a mere 2000 points behind with about 3 mins left to play. It's unlikely but we could have pulled back.

If these individuals were playing in say a football ( soccer for our American friends lol) match and walked of the pitch when 2 goals down I would like to hear what the coach had it say or I probably wouldn't like to hear ! I doubt though that it happens very often so why quit in Crucible

I don't do it. Maybe it's because I don't care that much about winning. If I did I don't think I'd have much fun because I kinda suck.

Plus, one of the best games I've every played was a 4v1 Halo match where I got in this zone with sticky grenades and held my own. Got several compliments from the other team--it was glorious. Don't know how or why that happened but it never would have happened had I quit.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:06 (2943 days ago) @ Kermit

Plus, one of the best games I've every played was a 4v1 Halo match where I got in this zone with sticky grenades and held my own. Got several compliments from the other team--it was glorious. Don't know how or why that happened but it never would have happened had I quit.

My All-time favourite match of Halo: Reach happened in the Vanilla Multi-team playlist(6 teams of 2, Slayer, 50 Kill limit). My rando teammate quit before the match started.

I won.

:D

Nice!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:19 (2943 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Nice!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:52 (2943 days ago) @ Kermit

Thanks! Although, If I were in the situation you mentioned, I probably would have quit in frustration. Kudos for sticking with it.

by Fire Opal, Friday, June 03, 2016, 14:30 (2943 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't think it matters if someone is bad or good. We are all better than some and worse than others.

Although no one likes to lose continually if people quit they will never experience the joy of triumphing in adversity. It does happen lol

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 03, 2016, 15:03 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal
edited by Korny, Friday, June 03, 2016, 15:07

I don't think it matters if someone is bad or good. We are all better than some and worse than others.

Although no one likes to lose continually if people quit they will never experience the joy of triumphing in adversity. It does happen lol

One of my most memorable games in Destiny was that one time where the enemy team kicked team DBO's butt the entire match, and in the end the enemy team had 19k to our 16k, before we turned it around and beat them in the last few seconds, an instant before two of us caught a rocket that would have given them the win. And you don't have to take my word for it.

And just the other day, Red Robber and I were alone against a full team in Control, but despite having a solid early lead, we still got a team together (none of which quit despite the odds), and we ended up winning the match. Good stuff.

So yeah, I'm against quitting games. Even the times where I've ended up 3v1, I don't give them the satisfaction of a quick win. ;)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 03, 2016, 15:46 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

Sure. I was just acknowledging that I'm not very competitive, so my level of frustration stays pretty low. It is a bummer though to lose several in a row. Even I get frustrated after five medallions.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 03, 2016, 15:53 (2943 days ago) @ Kermit

Sure. I was just acknowledging that I'm not very competitive, so my level of frustration stays pretty low. It is a bummer though to lose several in a row. Even I get frustrated after five medallions.

I just needed one more win to hit Rank 5 in IB :(

[image]

(the trophy icon indicates a win)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 03, 2016, 15:57 (2943 days ago) @ CyberKN

Ugh. Been there, buddy.

Should the game be making players quit?

by Raflection, Friday, June 03, 2016, 16:50 (2943 days ago) @ Fire Opal

I agree the JIP system in Destiny is bad.

One of the worst games I joined was vs a 6 man fire team, I joined the game with 3 people on my team. I was in a fire team of 2 people, so we had joined 1 person on our team.

The score was already 300 - 2000
My friend and I stayed to fight as the person on our team left. 3 minutes later, 2 people joined. They left immediately. We then continued the entire game until 2 minutes before the end 1 person joined our team.

We lost of course but I was so bitter about this game that the very next game i quit out as our team was down 2 people.
Leaving the team I left 2 vs 5.

It's a vicious circle which really doesn't need to be.

I've also player in the opposite side of this, I was a 6 man fire team vs 4 players, we dominated them until 2 people left leaving us facing 2 people, people joined then left after being killed 3 times in a row in quick succession.

Perhaps if the match making system was better it would match fireteams vs fireteams not just the amount of players on each side.
You could then use the solo players to fill the gaps. 2 man, 3 man and 1 solo for example.

Should the game be making players quit?

by Fire Opal, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 12:07 (2942 days ago) @ Raflection

I agree that Bungie are responsible for the bad matchmaking and people should not be put in the position of having to quit.

I get that it is frustrating and I am not sure what I would do in the situation you described. I like to think I would not quit out But who knows lol

Quitting is for losers

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 20:21 (2941 days ago) @ Fire Opal

You can never win a game you quit. There's always a chance to win a game you play.

That being said, I refuse to play on Cathedral of Dusk. Out of protest to how poorly designed that map is, I will leave immediately after spawn if that's the map. I play Crucible to fight, not to walk for 30 seconds just to get sniped and then walk for another 30 seconds.

I'll also quit if I spawn into a game with cheaters or heavy laggers. I can't stand it. I'll usually bitch about the first cheater, but play through that round, but if the game doesn't split up the teams (or we leave and it reconnects us with the same room) you can be damn sure I'm quitting.

Destiny is fun when it all works, but the inability of Bungie to deliver a lag-free experience turns the whole thing into a frustrating mess.

I will say that I have not experienced too much lag lately - pretty much only during Trials over the last month or so, but of course that's when it's the most frustrating because you get a loss if you quit so you have to tough it out with laggy cheaters. When you're playing against a team of 2000+ ELO players, none of whom has above a .8 K/D ratio, and all of whom have been to the lighthouse 40+ times, it's pretty damn clear that they're only winning through shenanigans.

Quitting is for losers

by Fire Opal, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 05:48 (2941 days ago) @ Kahzgul

There is this aspect of it, the cheaters.

Honestly unless they were carrying a placard saying "I am a Cheater " I do not have enough experience to tell if it's a very bad internet or deliberately manipulation. I do report really bad connections as bad connections but I could not brand someone a cheater if I am not sure. ( although I may suspect)

If I could tell, then in that instance I would quit. Cheaters want a game in order to win so a good punishment is to deny them just that

Quitting is for losers

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 06, 2016, 16:03 (2940 days ago) @ Fire Opal

There is this aspect of it, the cheaters.

Honestly unless they were carrying a placard saying "I am a Cheater " I do not have enough experience to tell if it's a very bad internet or deliberately manipulation. I do report really bad connections as bad connections but I could not brand someone a cheater if I am not sure. ( although I may suspect)

If I could tell, then in that instance I would quit. Cheaters want a game in order to win so a good punishment is to deny them just that

I agree. The last time I quit because of cheaters was guys obviously exploiting the infinite rocket glitch with cocoon and clown cartridge. So yeah, I only quit when there's really no way it's anything other than cheating.

Even the super laggy players (again, less common for me these last few weeks), I try to give the benefit of the doubt. Though it is really frustrating to shoot a guy right in his face and not get any damage on him, those laggers are rarely in the top half of points on their team. I'm more upset about losing a valuable commodity (special ammo) than I am about not killing the guy.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread