I did something similar twice recently. (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 03:46 (2903 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't usually bail on games based on the first bit of gameplay but two recent games had me deleting them right off the bat.

The first was the LEGO Age of Ultron demo. I know there's a lot of love for the LEGO games, but I will probably never try another one because of what this demo did. The darn game basically refused to lift a single finger to teach me how to play it! I started off as Hawkeye and Black Widow and through button mashing managed to fight over to a river that blocked me from continuing onward. I spent 10 minutes trying to cross that river. Did jumping work? Nope! No matter how I tried to jump I only ever landed in the river and died. There were logs flowing down the river so maybe it was a simple jumping puzzle? Nope! Still instant death. This was made 1000% more insanely frustrating by the fact that my other AI controlled character would happily jump across to the other side and back over and over as my active character fell to their deaths a bajillion times. Finally, I got a help dialog box that told me to press something to aim the cursor to activate Hawkeye's special rope arrow... That the game had not show before and certainly not tried to train me to use before.

I made it over the river and promptly deleted the demo never to play it, or any other LEGO games ever again.

Slightly more recently, Telltale's The Wolve Among Us was free on Xbox Live. I gave it a shot and it too was deleted within 10 minutes. Why? Because in the first action sequence they dropped a completely unfamiliar QuickTime event on me which I immediately failed because I couldn't figure out what the game was even asking me to do! I had zero chance of completing the action correctly within the two seconds it gave me to do so. I found that to be completely unacceptable, especially in a game that would feature many more QuickTime events and where my ability to complete them would have a large effect on the story...

Well, now I have no plans to play another Telltale game. Good job guys.

So yeah, while I'd probably give The Order 1886 a chance to get past it's overly dramatic opening and show me it's real gameplay, I can understand saying "Nope. Next, please." to a game that starts out poorly.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread