Reveal coming (before E3) (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, June 06, 2016, 16:15 (3033 days ago)

https://twitter.com/destinythegame/status/739865413799038976

Join @Bungie Thursday June 9th to watch the live reveal of Destiny’s next adventure. https://www.twitch.tv/bungie

[image]

This was announced in the Weekly update...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 06, 2016, 16:29 (3033 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The art is new, tho

Snazzy art

by Raflection, Monday, June 06, 2016, 16:39 (3033 days ago) @ CyberKN

Is very snazz

Ooo! Excited for snow in Destiny. *IMG*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 06, 2016, 16:51 (3033 days ago) @ General Vagueness

[image]

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 06, 2016, 17:07 (3033 days ago) @ Kermit

Maybe we will finally get a second Queen's Wrath event!

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 06, 2016, 17:14 (3033 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Queen's dead

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 06, 2016, 17:25 (3033 days ago) @ Funkmon

But then again so was Jon Snow.

Snow and Red clay

by Durandal, Monday, June 06, 2016, 17:26 (3033 days ago) @ Funkmon

That strongly indicates the story is set on Earth and Mars. Earth I understand, it makes sense that the early confrontations were in and around the city, but why Mars? Could something have been their prior to the arrival of the Cabal and the exclusion zone?

Theoretically the Reef and the City's forces could have been pushed back by the Cabal before our current offensive. If that is the case then we are looking at the Vex as secondary antagonists this time. Hmmm.

Snow and Red clay

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 06, 2016, 17:36 (3033 days ago) @ Durandal

That strongly indicates the story is set on Earth and Mars. Earth I understand, it makes sense that the early confrontations were in and around the city, but why Mars? Could something have been their prior to the arrival of the Cabal and the exclusion zone?

Theoretically the Reef and the City's forces could have been pushed back by the Cabal before our current offensive. If that is the case then we are looking at the Vex as secondary antagonists this time. Hmmm.

Doesn't the opening cinematic kinda imply that it was Mars where we first saw the traveler? or am I way off base on this?

Snow and Red clay

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 06, 2016, 18:32 (3033 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Doesn't the opening cinematic kinda imply that it was Mars where we first saw the traveler? or am I way off base on this?

If by "imply", you mean states in plain text "THE PLANET MARS" across the screen before the Traveler is first seen (49 seconds into the video), then yeah, I guess you could say that it's implied. :P

Snow and Red clay

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 06, 2016, 18:34 (3033 days ago) @ Korny
edited by MacAddictXIV, Monday, June 06, 2016, 19:03

If by "imply", you mean states in plain text "THE PLANET MARS" across the screen before the Traveler is first seen (49 seconds into the video), then yeah, I guess you could say that it's implied. :P

hehe, no I meant it was on Mars that we first saw the traveler. Meaning Mars was a very significant plantet for that reason.

Snow and Red clay

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:21 (3032 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

hehe, no I meant it was on Mars that we first saw the traveler. Meaning Mars was a very significant plantet for that reason.

That section of the cutscene would imply that, but the section after it shows the order it visited the planets, I think. The grimoire specifically says Mars wasn't the first, I think it was the third. It took humans a while a to catch up to it.

Snow and Red clay

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:23 (3032 days ago) @ General Vagueness

That section of the cutscene would imply that, but the section after it shows the order it visited the planets, I think. The grimoire specifically says Mars wasn't the first, I think it was the third. It took humans a while a to catch up to it.

This is why I usually add the "I could be way off base" which I usually am :-D
Thanks for the update to my brain pan.

Why do you think Mars?

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 06, 2016, 17:53 (3033 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Art - > intent

by Durandal, Monday, June 06, 2016, 18:12 (3033 days ago) @ Funkmon

Why this image for their teaser? Why not the IB logo or a lonely Saladin?

The image is supposed to invite speculation. Looking at the textures there are only two locals in the game that use those color palettes, Earth and Mars.

Pure speculation time: Lord Saladin is named after An-Nasir Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub, AKA Saladin, the muslim sultan of Egypt and Syria who led the muslims against the crusader kingdoms. He was considered generous and respected even by his enemies, but his dynasty collapsed 57 years after his death.

The brown stuff looks hive related - it's got little holes.

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 06, 2016, 19:21 (3033 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Snow and Red clay

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:54 (3032 days ago) @ Durandal
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:28

The old old planning document that leaked said the last two expansions would be Forge of Gods, featuring Cabal, and Vex Void, featuring your mom. There was that mission on the Dreadnought where the Cabal ship is signaling the empire, so that may be the direction they're going in, but that's... inauspicious, so maybe not. Then again The Dank Below didn't have a lot to herald it, and House of Wolves had nothing in the previous expansion but some stuff in the base game, and The Tekken King arguably had no raison d'etre since the Hive had already been dealt with twice (although the second time was pitifully short and the Taken were pretty different even if they weren't that new).

Personally I want them to expound on the Vex some more, but I also kind of don't, because they have no personality. The Fallen are scavengers and thieves and cutthroats (and some, I assume, are Variks), the Hive are heavy metal zombies, the Cabal are Space Romans, but the Vex are basically just bronze robots. That said, if the Vex can fold, spindle, and mutilate spacetime, and they seem to have infrastructure in every planetary body of consequence, why are they in the position they're in?

My money's on the Cabal currently, and I'd really like to see them fleshed out. I called them Space Romans, and they are, but they're also simple country hyper-turtles, and they have touches of Klingons and Grimhammer 40K-- which doesn't help the cliche aspect of them so much, but it it gives a lot of potential.

As for Earth, assuming it is about the Iron Lords, Earth is fairly likely, and it hasn't been visited much since House of Wolves. I would also like some new enemies there (like Cabal or Vex, or something new like the Taken), and some explanation as to why they weren't there before. That would set up Destiny 2 pretty well, actually: introduce a new threat close to home, have us take our first stab at it in this expansion, and then make the next game a full exploration and annihilation of that threat.

I don't like fighting Cabal, Vex are more fun.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:13 (3032 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Personally I want more that discusses the Vex because they're so mysterious and so powerful, but I also kind of don't, because they have no personality. The Fallen are scavengers and cutthroats, the Hive are heavy metal zombies, and the Cabal are Space Romans, but the Vex are pretty much just bronze robots.

My money's on the Cabal currently, and I'd really like to see them fleshed out. I called them Space Romans, and they are, but they're also simple country hyper-turtles and have touches of Klingons and Grimhammer 40K-- which still leaves them kind of cliche, but these influences give a lot of potential.

As for Earth, I doubt it.

I hope to see a Vex expansion soon, although I doubt the RoFe (Rise of Iron) will be it. The Vex, for me, are some of the more interesting (story wise) and definitely the most fun to fight.

The Cabal are somewhat interesting story wise, but I do not like fighting the Cabal. I think they aren't as fun to fight for me because:
1- You can't dance with Phalanxes like you could with Hunters.
2- You can't shoot them in the hand like you could with Jackals. Often my bullets won't hit their hands, but hit their shields instead, even when my reticule is clearly on the hand (I blame bullet->head magnetism). This is frustrating and I shouldn't have to compensate for it.
3- The shielded guys just seem like bullet sponges (Halo 2 brutes all over again).

Now, I do like that they jump around, and finishing one off w/ a headshot is somewhat satisfying, but that doesn't compensate for the annoyances of 1-3.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:32 (3032 days ago) @ dogcow

Personally I want more that discusses the Vex because they're so mysterious and so powerful, but I also kind of don't, because they have no personality. The Fallen are scavengers and cutthroats, the Hive are heavy metal zombies, and the Cabal are Space Romans, but the Vex are pretty much just bronze robots.

My money's on the Cabal currently, and I'd really like to see them fleshed out. I called them Space Romans, and they are, but they're also simple country hyper-turtles and have touches of Klingons and Grimhammer 40K-- which still leaves them kind of cliche, but these influences give a lot of potential.

As for Earth, I doubt it.

I hope to see a Vex expansion soon, although I doubt the RoFe (Rise of Iron) will be it. The Vex, for me, are some of the more interesting (story wise) and definitely the most fun to fight.

The Cabal are somewhat interesting story wise, but I do not like fighting the Cabal. I think they aren't as fun to fight for me because:
2- You can't shoot them in the hand like you could with Jackals. Often my bullets won't hit their hands, but hit their shields instead, even when my reticule is clearly on the hand (I blame bullet->head magnetism). This is frustrating and I shouldn't have to compensate for it.
3- The shielded guys just seem like bullet sponges (Halo 2 brutes all over again).

Now, I do like that they jump around, and finishing one off w/ a headshot is somewhat satisfying, but that doesn't compensate for the annoyances of 1-3.

I think the best part about shields in general is that it requires at least a bit of teamwork. The Vex require no team work what so ever. It requires brute force and timing. That is it. That, to me, is boring. I would much rather fight Cabal because they are interesting tactically. The Vex just keep moving forward and shoot you. That is their MO.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:38 (3032 days ago) @ dogcow
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:43

That's true. The swings are too fast and too wide, but mostly it's just that they turn around too fast.

You always aim 3-4 inches higher than you think you need to (or 3 inches lower, if you're aiming for the foot) and slightly to the left. That's the trick. You're right that it shouldn't be necessary. My pet theory is they made the shield collision box too big but also made the Phalanxes' body collision box too big, or they compensated one or both from an even worse state they were in before launch and didn't fix it hard enough.

If I remember correctly (and it hasn't been changed), the Cabal take less headshot damage for whatever reason, that might be why Centurions feel worse to you than Captains, Knights, and Wizards.

I'd say it makes the kill even more satisfying, but to each their own. Even I think Phalanxes are a bit of a pain if you're not in the zone, and it really bothers me as a Hunter that it's so hard to stab them. My knives don't work! What is a Hunter without their knife?

Head bullet magnetism == shield hits, that's why

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 18:17 (3032 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:24 (3032 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:55

The Cosmodrome is full of snow.

I know, right? People regularly forget it. It's trippy to think it's always been there.

I'd be excited for them to make snow that actually looks like snow.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:41 (3032 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The Cosmodrome is full of snow.

I know, right? People regularly forget it. It's trippy to think it's always been there.
I'd be excited for them to make snow that actually looks like snow.

Yep, I know. I want Assault on the Control Room snow. I want to see snow fall. They can make it rain on Venus, so I have hope.

And on top of the earlier leak...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 06, 2016, 18:08 (3033 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Looks like Bungie accidentally confirmed Rise of Iron themselves! Whoops!

https://twitter.com/Gothalion/status/739790470486892544

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, June 06, 2016, 18:49 (3033 days ago) @ Xenos

Looks like Bungie accidentally confirmed Rise of Iron themselves! Whoops!

https://twitter.com/Gothalion/status/739790470486892544

Sorta tangent question: Does Bungie actually "run" destinythegame.com, or is that Activision?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 06, 2016, 20:55 (3033 days ago) @ Xenos

Heh. I've done that before...

Snow???

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 12:30 (3032 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Is that really supposed to be snow? Looks more like a splash of some white liquid. If it were snow I would expect the edges to be feathered.

[image]

+1 It's totally Vex juice

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 12:34 (3032 days ago) @ naturl selexion

- No text -

Vex Juice on Mars.

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 13:11 (3032 days ago) @ CyberKN

Psion Flayer raid boss. Doesn't drop exotics.

Juice boxes for all!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 13:12 (3032 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

The new exotic weapon is a giant straw that you jab into the enemy.

I'm 100% in for eating our enemies.

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 13:56 (3032 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Cabal taste just like Chicken!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 13:57 (3032 days ago) @ ProbablyLast
edited by MacAddictXIV, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:03

But I would make sure the Hive are cooked all the way through...

That's how you gain their powers.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:04 (3032 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Didn't work well for Kabr

by Durandal, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 18:02 (3032 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

But perhaps he had food allergies.

Lactose issues is what I heard.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 18:05 (3032 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

It's Salt, all the salt for /r/DTG ;)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 12:53 (3032 days ago) @ naturl selexion

Is that really supposed to be snow? Looks more like a splash of some white liquid. If it were snow I would expect the edges to be feathered.

Ok, the salt was brought up in jest, but honestly, it reminds me a little of the Bonneville Salt Flats (that I-80 crosses in Utah). Also, it looks REALLY dirty for snow, dirty in a way snow doesn't get dirty, annddd... it looks kind of flakey (as in something dried on, like paint; not like snowflakes).

But I think it's supposed to be snow.

[image]

It could be Vex bird poop.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:20 (3032 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

lol. +1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 17:33 (3032 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Um, Phrasing?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:09 (3032 days ago) @ naturl selexion

- No text -

Snow???

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:42 (3032 days ago) @ naturl selexion

It looks like snow that's been there for a long time, and pretty accurately too. You get the feathering with fresh snow, but old snow that's been sitting on the ground for a few weeks? Looks a lot like that.

Snow???

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:59 (3032 days ago) @ Xenos

It looks like snow that's been there for a long time, and pretty accurately too. You get the feathering with fresh snow, but old snow that's been sitting on the ground for a few weeks? Looks a lot like that.

Go to Spokane, Washington in the winter and you will know what Xenos is talking about...

Dubious

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:24 (3032 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I've lived north of the border for most of my life, and seen plenty of snow- It does not look like that when it's been on the ground for a while. The closest thing would be the compound you get when snow is mixed with dirt on the road by plows and cars.

The more I look at it, the more the stuff in the picture provided looks like a white liquid (especially around the edge), more milk then ice water. Hence the Vex juice theory.

Can anybody find a photo of this winter Washington snow for comparison?

Dubious

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:30 (3032 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by dogcow, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:34

I've lived north of the border for most of my life, and seen plenty of snow- It does not look like that when it's been on the ground for a while. The closest thing would be the compound you get when snow is mixed with dirt on the road by plows and cars.

The more I look at it, the more the stuff in the picture provided looks like a white liquid (especially around the edge), more milk then ice water. Hence the Vex juice theory.

Can anybody find a photo of this winter Washington snow for comparison?

https://marissameditation.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/imag1361.jpg

It's missing the large ice-crystal grains that happen when snow's been sitting/melting.

Edit:
[image]

I don't know where that photo was taken.

Don't have to go to Washington

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:33 (3032 days ago) @ CyberKN

[image]

[image]

[image]

I'm still going with ice cream and brownie though.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:36 (3032 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I'm still going with ice cream and brownie though.

Yeah, it's supposed to be snow, but... I agree, ice-cream & brownie. :)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 17:54 (3032 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Yeah that first image was what I'm picturing. Games are good at fresh powdery snow, but rarely good at old dirty snow, and this is honestly the best rendering of old snow I've seen.

Looks more like a paint spill.

by naturl selexion, Wednesday, June 08, 2016, 15:50 (3031 days ago) @ Xenos

The edges are consistent with old snow, but I've never seen old snow that had such a consistent thickness - and I've seen lots of snow.

Looks more like a paint spill.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, June 08, 2016, 16:15 (3031 days ago) @ naturl selexion

The edges are consistent with old snow, but I've never seen old snow that had such a consistent thickness - and I've seen lots of snow.

Yes but have you ever tried to create a 3D model or texture with INconsistent thickness? It's a pain in the butt...

Found the formula

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 14:58 (3032 days ago) @ naturl selexion

[image] Oreo Ice Cream

+

[image] Crumbling Brownie

=

[image]

Good luck not getting hungry now.

Found the formula

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:16 (3032 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

[image] Oreo Ice Cream
+
[image] Crumbling Brownie
=
[image]

Good luck not getting hungry now.

Thanks for that, and it's about 45 minutes until lunch. Jerk. ;-)

Actually it looks more like cookies & cream than it does dirty old snow. (Edit: To me. Old freezer burned cookies and cream to be more precise.)

<3

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 15:52 (3032 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Definitely Snow. (video link)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 07, 2016, 16:11 (3032 days ago) @ naturl selexion

https://amp.twimg.com/v/77c64d1d-2abf-42d8-81d8-18a95c4527c9

(But I agree, it doesn't look like I'd expect.)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread