HC's are borderline unusable in PvP with the range nerf... (Destiny)

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 17, 2016, 05:31 (2931 days ago)

So, I did some crucible tonight with DogCow and was playing around with the Vanity and Finnala's Peril.

The Vanity... It's by far the best overall HC I've got on paper and yet I can't seem to do anything with it. We were playing inferno clash on the cauldron. I was standing up on the platform by the outside heavy, towards the door. There was a guy sniping, looking up the stairs, close to the far wall. He wasn't against it, but about in the spawn location there at the bottom of the stairs.

I took slow, careful aim with my vanity, and fired. Miss. Again. Miss. Again... Miss. Again...! 22 damage body shot.

The whole time he was standing there and I didn't rapid fire anything -- I let my reticle settle because nobody else was around. The first shot I lined up with the guy's neck and let it sit there (he didn't move throughout the first 3 shots, he moved on the 4th because it hit him). I really wish I had thought to save a video clip -- it was insanely unproductive.

I've used finnala's peril quite a lot in PvP, it's my go-to gun and has been since early in TTK. I am doing noticeably less damage with it at range. On the order of magnitude of 15-20 damage less per headshot and about 10 damage less per body shot. That puts it as needing another bullet in many mid-range cases to finish someone off. I think we will see less HC's floating around without a long range secondary to support them.

So I'm in the market for a primary that has good damage at mid-range and doesn't suck close range. I'm thinking a pulse, but the TTK seems rough for those now. Any suggestions?

HC's are borderline unusable in PvP with the range nerf...

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, June 17, 2016, 05:54 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

So, I did some crucible tonight with DogCow and was playing around with the Vanity and Finnala's Peril.

The Vanity... It's by far the best overall HC I've got on paper and yet I can't seem to do anything with it. We were playing inferno clash on the cauldron. I was standing up on the platform by the outside heavy, towards the door. There was a guy sniping, looking up the stairs, close to the far wall. He wasn't against it, but about in the spawn location there at the bottom of the stairs.

I took slow, careful aim with my vanity, and fired. Miss. Again. Miss. Again... Miss. Again...! 22 damage body shot.

The whole time he was standing there and I didn't rapid fire anything -- I let my reticle settle because nobody else was around. The first shot I lined up with the guy's neck and let it sit there (he didn't move throughout the first 3 shots, he moved on the 4th because it hit him). I really wish I had thought to save a video clip -- it was insanely unproductive.

I've used finnala's peril quite a lot in PvP, it's my go-to gun and has been since early in TTK. I am doing noticeably less damage with it at range. On the order of magnitude of 15-20 damage less per headshot and about 10 damage less per body shot. That puts it as needing another bullet in many mid-range cases to finish someone off. I think we will see less HC's floating around without a long range secondary to support them.

So I'm in the market for a primary that has good damage at mid-range and doesn't suck close range. I'm thinking a pulse, but the TTK seems rough for those now. Any suggestions?

They were supposed to make low range HC's better, more accurate. I feel like they are worse than they were before. It's really hard just to hit a stable target at even medium close range. I have a Lord High Fixer with rifled barrel and its the only one consistently usable. Still not as good though it seems.

You can spam a High RoF pulse pretty well like Grasp of Malok or Hawksawk. Monte Carlo is excellent up to medium range as well, if you don't mind the exotic slot. Red Death too. It appears that they really only want HC's to do the close up work only, which is fine. But they need to do more damage up close to work.

Yuk...this is why I cringe in terror every patch release

by squidnh3, Friday, June 17, 2016, 10:50 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Same

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, June 17, 2016, 11:07 (2930 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

Hawksaw or PDX. Still good, still easy.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 17, 2016, 11:45 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

*PDX-45

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, June 17, 2016, 11:49 (2930 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

He says as if there's a difference. :3

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 17, 2016, 12:33 (2930 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, June 17, 2016, 11:56 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

So I did some crucible last night, and ended up running with The Last Word for several matches. It's a gun I almost never use, but after getting owned by it a few times during our Trials run on monday, I figured I give it a shot. It worked out really well. I was playing very aggressively, as usual. The trick, I found, was to avoid combat completely until I was at the optimal range. If the enemy saw me coming and I was still too far away to use TLW, I'd dodge, or back up, try to lose them around cover. If I was still slightly outside optimal range but I had the drop on them, I would open fire and usually finish them off before they had time to react. I lost a couple mid-range duels against Hawksaws and Grasp of Maloks, and I got shut down by a couple shotgun rushers, but other than that I the gun still out-performs just about anything within its intended range.

If you're not into playing quite that aggressively, I would go with a Hawksaw/Grasp of Malok, or Doctrine of Passing. I used my less-than-perfect DoP last night as well. It has persistence, braced frame, and range finder, so the stability really isn't great until persistence kicks in. Despite that, and despite the damage nerf, I was still melting people with it. I used it during a match on drifter and was easily winning most 1v1 encounters. I had a moment where I found myself just under the platform in the large middle room, facing off against a pair of enemies in one of the side rooms (where the special ammo spawns). They both appeared in the doorway and opened fire... I held down the trigger and was able to kill both of them before they could kill me, and I still had a couple bullets left in my mag (and that's with the decreased Mag size that comes with braced frame). It has a slightly longer time-to-kill than TLW, but it also has better range. Not to mention that had I been using TLW, I would have run out of ammo before killing the second target.

I still think Pulse Rifles are better than DoP as you get into mid-long range territory, but for my money DoP remains the best mid-range weapon in the game :)

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 17, 2016, 13:57 (2930 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've found that on the doctrine if you're not hitting their head at least 1/3 or so of the time the TTK is often too low. But maybe I need to switch to bumper jumper and get better at aiming. ;)

Good advice, thanks!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, June 17, 2016, 14:16 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

I've found that on the doctrine if you're not hitting their head at least 1/3 or so of the time the TTK is often too low. But maybe I need to switch to bumper jumper and get better at aiming. ;)

Good advice, thanks!

Yeah, crits do make a big difference with DoP, but I find that to be true with most of the primaries that I typically use. I have the same issue with Mida. Crits make it deadly, but body shots feel like they take forever to down a target (I don't actually know how many body shots it takes to kill a full-health opponent... 7? 8?). That being said, Mida has such a fast rate of fire that I've had surprising success with it at mid/close range while hip-firing. If I get caught in a close range situation and I don't have time to switch to my fusion rifle and charge a shot, I'll spam body shots into my target while dancing around them. I can often hit them with 2 or 3 shots real fast, then finish them off with a melee. Seems to catch people off guard.

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 17, 2016, 23:07 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

Switch! Bumper jumper has improved my game dramatically.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 17, 2016, 13:33 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

I wish they had a medium+ range secondary that wasn't a sniper rifle. They've got all kinds of secondaries that complement longer range primaries, but only one long-range secondary to complement short range primaries.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 17, 2016, 13:55 (2930 days ago) @ dogcow

I will often use "The Vacancy", which is very effective longer short range and close mid range, medium mid range if you're lucky. The charge time is just 0.2 seconds too slow at short range. I have died a number of times when I get off half the clip or just before it fires due to the charge rate. If I were a half a second faster I think it would be Godly. Queensbreaker bow can be really good as well, but it seems to be hit or miss. It has some of the same problems as regular fusion rifles, but at longer range. i.e. hitting people and watching them stagger but not actually doing damage to them. But you're right, other than snipers there isn't much.

On the FR note, I did give Plan C a try last night for one match with some good results at close range. It won't cover medium range, but the hot swap accelerated charge time is a big deal if used correctly. A pulse (if I can find the right one) + Plan C combo is something I'd like to try out.

I do use mida and Doctrine of Passing at times and am mediocre with those guns. But they do seem effective, so I may have to increase usage with them, especially mida for mid to long range. Doctrine is wierd in that it works okay short range, but really feels to me like a mid-range weapon.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 17, 2016, 17:03 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

The reason I mention wanting a mid-long range secondary is because I love using shorter range primaries such as Hand Cannons and Auto Rifles. I'd love something similar to a scout rifle as a secondary.

Let us exchange secondary for dual primaries?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, June 17, 2016, 17:06 (2930 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Let us exchange secondary for dual primaries?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 17, 2016, 17:24 (2930 days ago) @ unoudid
edited by dogcow, Friday, June 17, 2016, 17:38

Maybe? I think they'd need to be limited to using secondary ammo tho'.

Edit: I just want something that fills a similar role as side-arms do, complement a longer-range primary, only at medium-long ranges to complement shorter-range primaries; no sniper rifles please.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 17, 2016, 15:25 (2930 days ago) @ dogcow

Discussions like these remind me how much I do wish that the Reach Grenade Launcher had found its way into Destiny. As a secondary with the current ammo economy it wouldn't be super hard to balance. Give it a minimum arm distance, have manual/bounce/impact detonation, and have the impact damage be what allows it to one-shot like you can with non-sidearm secondaries. It would be a flexible medium range weapon if done correctly.

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 17, 2016, 15:29 (2930 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Given Destiny's instability with explosions, though, I think it would be scrapped.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 17, 2016, 16:12 (2930 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Why don't we have the MA75B from marathon yet!?
Imagine having a machine gun that was somewhat unwieldy while firing using heavy ammo, but could fire grenades which would eat into your secondary ammo. It also would not work in a vacuum.

+1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 17, 2016, 17:04 (2930 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Canister grenades would be amazing for mid-range encounters.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 17, 2016, 18:44 (2930 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Also, I'd still love a laser-tracked rocket launcher similar to what was in the original half-life. =)

Perfect Dark's fly-by-wire alien rocket was pretty cool too

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 17, 2016, 20:13 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Slayer! Mauler! Reaper!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, June 17, 2016, 21:37 (2930 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Slayer was the Rocket Launcher

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 17, 2016, 22:24 (2930 days ago) @ Revenant1988

The Mauler was a pistol, I think (maybe it had a charge-up shot?) and Reaper was the "chaingun" that had melee damage through the roof if you touched someone with it.

That game was amazing. First co-op FPS I've ever played and I still hold it fondly in my heart.

marathon

by Durandal, Monday, June 20, 2016, 10:20 (2927 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But where are my double shotguns and flamethrower?

I didn't notice

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Friday, June 17, 2016, 17:09 (2930 days ago) @ slycrel

I have an Imago Loop I love that I was doing just fine with last night. If you're used to using Hand Cannons at a long range, than I think you're screwed, but HC's aren't really meant to be accurate at long range (IRL and in the game).

Might be time to try something else if you like engaging targets at a distance.

Here's that Imago Loop I love:

[image]

That's a pretty amazing HC...

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 17, 2016, 18:48 (2930 days ago) @ BeardFade

Here is the Finnala's Peril I've been using, which is similiar. I'm sure rangefinder helps a ton with yours at longer range.

[image]

Me either.

by Raflection, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 06:41 (2929 days ago) @ BeardFade

I was with beardfade (thanks for joining bro) last night in trials using my her memory. It has truesight IS, outlaw, rifles barrel and life support.

It was feeling so nice in trials, handles wonderfully matched with my patience and time.

Only thing I found is that I was often having to fire a 4th HC shot to get the kill whereas usually it would be 3 shots.

I'm still not convinced that the impact of P&T should be what it is, it doesn't seem like I can body shot snipe and clean up with the her memory. Perhaps that's was just my lack of playing with the HC and P&T in year 2 or that they where just out of HC optimal range to clean up, I'd have to play more with them to see.

We did have some really fun games and I was able to play pretty aggressively with her memory and my sunsinger getting a few quick team wipes.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread