A good start to Father's Day Weekend (Off-Topic)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 12:53 (2929 days ago)

Remember this plane I made, and sourced y'all for paint help? Yeah, I still haven't flown it - not enough wind. I'm keeping my eye out for oncoming hurricanes. :P

But I DID rebuild another one that I had crashed, and yesterday was able to re-maiden it. It flew AWESOME, and I even LANDED IT. FYI: Landing is several orders of magnitude harder than flying. >_<

Obviously, I wanted to share with all y'all. Enjoy!

There's no music on this video, partly because I was lazy last night when editing, but also because I really love the whistle it makes as it zooms past - that's music right there! :D

[image]

Awesome :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 13:01 (2929 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

That is cool dude

by Raflection, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 13:22 (2929 days ago) @ Mid7night

The whole time watching I was like "what. How does it fly?" Then immediately after "ERM.. So how do you stop it?"

Then I saw the remote right at the end "ooooh it's RC". Now I'm even more confused, what are you using the remote for? How do you fly/steer

Please forgive my aviation ignorance

Nice landing btw

Control surfaces

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 18, 2016, 15:17 (2929 days ago) @ Raflection

These planes work pretty much like sailboats tacking, using the wind at certain times to power them through the air where it wouldn't really help.

Other than not having a propeller, the plane still has everything else regular RC planes do (mostly, all the control surfaces), so it still flies like you would any other. Bright side is they're much lighter and the battery lasts way longer (which means you can use smaller ones).

LOL

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 18:44 (2929 days ago) @ ZackDark

These planes work pretty much like sailboats tacking, using the wind at certain times to power them through the air where it wouldn't really help.

Yup, the wind is our power.

Other than not having a propeller, the plane still has everything else regular RC planes do (mostly, all the control surfaces), so it still flies like you would any other. Bright side is they're much lighter and the battery lasts way longer (which means you can use smaller ones).

Most gliders are lighter than their powered counterparts, unless you let ME build it.... >_<

Hah

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 18, 2016, 19:32 (2929 days ago) @ Mid7night

Most gliders are lighter than their powered counterparts, unless you let ME build it.... >_<

You know, yours is the first non-flying wing design I've seen fly. I've seen a few in pictures, but never flying. Flying wing, though, seen dozens, even first-hand. Any reason for that other than personal preference?

Hah

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 19:49 (2929 days ago) @ ZackDark

You know, yours is the first non-flying wing design I've seen fly. I've seen a few in pictures, but never flying. Flying wing, though, seen dozens, even first-hand. Any reason for that other than personal preference?

Several, perhaps; preference, flying location, flying style...

Flying wings are a bit more versatile: they can fly in a greater range of conditions. They are also usually more durable, with less parts to build and break. They're more maneuverable, and lend themselves to combat (which is really fun with lots of planes). The fewer-parts aspect also means they're generally cheaper, which makes them more appealing. But that versatility comes at the cost of not being great "big wind" flyers; they don't tend to have the energy-retention needed to punch through high winds efficiently. That's where slender designs like the "Shredda" really shine.

Also...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 20:40 (2929 days ago) @ Mid7night

A lot of the guys I fly with like to do scale warbird builds, of which there are very few flying wings. Though not none... ;)

[image]

Oh fun!

by Robot Chickens, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 14:02 (2929 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Not a bad end to Father's Day Weekend ... ;)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, June 20, 2016, 00:57 (2928 days ago) @ Mid7night

Remember this plane again? Well the wind was up today, so I went back out to fly, and took it along just in case. The wind looked good, and I don't build these planes to watch 'em hang on my wall, so I went for it.

Well, all I can say is I'm glad my mom got me this shirt for Christmas, it's become my hobby-mantra:

[image]

Here's the maiden flight, cradle-to-grave. ;)

I kinda felt like Wash ...

[image]

I'll rebuild - the fuse and tails are salvageable. And I learned a valuable lesson about building heavy planes. Pretty much: Don't. They only get to fly in gale-force winds, and other than that just become repair jobs. I'm going to target a much more reasonable weight when I rebuild this time.

It was my first hike down the Fermin cliff; it was only a matter of time, if you continue to fly Fermin. ;)

On a more positive note, I flew my Shredda (the red plane in my previous post) for the second time in a weekend, AND landed it safely! That's a win in my book. :D

At any rate, the shirt mantra holds true!

Not a bad end to Father's Day Weekend ... ;)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 20, 2016, 07:58 (2927 days ago) @ Mid7night

I kinda felt like Wash ...

Too soon...

I'll rebuild - the fuse and tails are salvageable. And I learned a valuable lesson about building heavy planes. Pretty much: Don't. They only get to fly in gale-force winds, and other than that just become repair jobs. I'm going to target a much more reasonable weight when I rebuild this time.

It was my first hike down the Fermin cliff; it was only a matter of time, if you continue to fly Fermin. ;)

On a more positive note, I flew my Shredda (the red plane in my previous post) for the second time in a weekend, AND landed it safely! That's a win in my book. :D

At any rate, the shirt mantra holds true!

Hey, any landing you walk out of don't catch fire is a good landing.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread