Changes to the Cosmodrome, we were both right. *SP?* (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:37 (2926 days ago)
edited by dogcow, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:58

A bit ago there was somequestion about the nature of the "new" patrol area. If it were an entirely new area on earth that was adjacent to the cosmodrome, or if it were just an addition to the cosmodrome. Looks like we were both kinda right. This is from a recent Kotaku article.

Barrett: So there’s a brand new zone we’re adding to New Russia. You’ll be able to have a brand new patrol area that you’ll land in to explore the new content. Connected to that will be—you’ll be able to revisit old Cosmodrome.

Schreier: Is this patrol zone going to be linked to the old Cosmodrome so you can go back and forth between them?

Osborne: It’s separate. That allows us to do really cool things like where you’re first resurrected and you have, you know, the line of cars, that’s completely blanketed in snow and the water’s frozen, and there’s a giant Fallen ketch back there, and you sort of punch through the wall.

So if you’re a fresh Guardian and you’re coming in September for the first time, you’re not looking around like all these guys running around like ‘what’s going on?’ (laughing) It’s the first time we’ve really done that, that permanent time movement for those players.

Edit: more crucial quotes...

Schreier: Just so I have this sure—the new Plaguelands patrol zone, that’s going to have some of the old Cosmodrome stuff, just different? So I can go back to The Divide and it’s different in that new patrol?

Osborne: Yes.

This is interesting.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:50 (2926 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm not sure I have an opinion on this.

It seems rational, but it also seems to be against some of the philosophy of the game. I guess it's more like a new planet than not.

Assuming I understand that they're separating some patrol area by level.

This is interesting.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 18:30 (2926 days ago) @ Funkmon

Assuming I understand that they're separating some patrol area by level.

I don't think they necessarily are. It sounds to me like they're simply two separate items in the director. So the "new" area is a new patrol area, but some of its sections were picked from the Cosmodrome, modified a bit (more snow, etc.), and pasted in. I'm sure if you selected the old Cosmodrome and went there, it would look like it always has, regardless of your level.

That stuff he said about new players vs. old players, I think, just meant that new players starting off in the Cosmodrome won't see all of us doing the new DLC areas, because we'll be in a whole different patrol area (even though what we're looking at APPEARS to be The Divide).

Symantecs *SP*

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:12 (2926 days ago) @ dogcow

A bit ago there was somequestion about the nature of the "new" patrol area. If it were an entirely new area on earth that was adjacent to the cosmodrome, or if it were just an addition to the cosmodrome. Looks like we were both kinda right. This is from a recent Kotaku article.

Barrett: So there’s a brand new zone we’re adding to New Russia. You’ll be able to have a brand new patrol area that you’ll land in to explore the new content. Connected to that will be—you’ll be able to revisit old Cosmodrome.

Schreier: Is this patrol zone going to be linked to the old Cosmodrome so you can go back and forth between them?

Osborne: It’s separate. That allows us to do really cool things like where you’re first resurrected and you have, you know, the line of cars, that’s completely blanketed in snow and the water’s frozen, and there’s a giant Fallen ketch back there, and you sort of punch through the wall.

So if you’re a fresh Guardian and you’re coming in September for the first time, you’re not looking around like all these guys running around like ‘what’s going on?’ (laughing) It’s the first time we’ve really done that, that permanent time movement for those players.

Schreier: Just so I have this sure—the new Plaguelands patrol zone, that’s going to have some of the old Cosmodrome stuff, just different? So I can go back to The Divide and it’s different in that new patrol?

This confuses me even more now.... Is it a new location on earth, or does it FEEL like a new location because of the different environment? Location, as in XYZ or GPS/Altitude coordinates. Or is it both (sorta?): A new landing-location, but the "earth" you land on this time has a new environment (so that when you go to the "old" locations they look different)?

I don't really expect or need an answer; that will come when we finally play it. I ask only to highlight the unfortunate continuing trend of Bungie's less-than-clear communication style. I don't remember being this confused in the Halo days...or maybe I was just too young to care. :P

Symantecs *SP*

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:26 (2926 days ago) @ Mid7night
edited by uberfoop, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:30

This confuses me even more now.... Is it a new location on earth, or does it FEEL like a new location because of the different environment? Location, as in XYZ or GPS/Altitude coordinates. Or is it both (sorta?): A new landing-location, but the "earth" you land on this time has a new environment (so that when you go to the "old" locations they look different)?

From the explanation, it sounds like it technically behaves like a totally different playspace, but covers the same in-universe ground as the old Cosmodrome (plus new areas). They also suggest that the old Cosmodrome pallet will still exist for the original missions.

What's curious is the "permanent time movement" thing. Will the old Cosmodrome Patrol stop existing when your character enters Riron, and the Plaguelands fully replaces it? It's not clear though, because they say "it's separate" but also that you'll be able to go back to previous areas with the changes. Partial geometric overlap with both playspaces available from the director? Hmm...

Norton Anti Virus *SP*

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:33 (2926 days ago) @ Mid7night

Yeah, he is pretty vague here, possibly leaving me more confused than ever about what it actually does.

My understanding

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:37 (2926 days ago) @ Mid7night

I don't really expect or need an answer; that will come when we finally play it. I ask only to highlight the unfortunate continuing trend of Bungie's less-than-clear communication style. I don't remember being this confused in the Halo days...or maybe I was just too young to care. :P

This has been talked about in a few interviews now. The way I understand it is this:

When you select "earth" from the director, you will now have a choice of 2 zones: Old Russia, or The Plaguelands. Geographically speaking, these 2 locations are connected to each other, with the Plaguelands landing zone being located just outside the wall, in roughly the same place we first spawned way back at the beginning of Destiny. Spawning into the Plaguelands will not only let you access the new zone, but you'll also be able to travel the other way, back into Old Russia.

This is where it gets a little tricky: the 2 selectable zones (Old Russia and Plaguelands) also exist in 2 different times. The Old Russia landing zone will bring you down into the same version of the Cosmodrome that we land in now. If you go back over to the wall and travel through it, you'll see the exact same pile-up of old rusted cars that we see today.

But if you land in the Plaguelands, you are going forward in time, some time after the events of TTK. The weather will be different, as will some of the scenery. Ostensibly there will be some sort of world event that now allows us to travel further east, away from the wall and into the new area. From the Plaguelands landing point, you can also travel west, back through the wall, into the cosmodrome. But because the Plaguelands landing zone exists at a different point in time than the Old Russia landing zone, the cosmodrome you access from the Plaguelands will be different (more snow, wrecked fallen walkers, who knows what else).

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me, too.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:42 (2926 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

it's like a bad episode of Dr. Who

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:49 (2926 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Are there any other kinds?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 17:06 (2926 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

What took you so long?!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 17:08 (2926 days ago) @ Korny

I've been sitting here waiting for you to post those exact words :)

There are the ones with Peter Capaldi, then all the rest

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 17:52 (2926 days ago) @ Korny

shots fired

Symantecs, AKA *Semantics...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:57 (2926 days ago) @ Mid7night

They are two completely separate zones that have geographical overlap. If you land in Cosmodrome Patrol, you will not be able to waddle into the Plaguelands. Everything will be the same as it is now.

If you land in the Plaguelands, you will be able to return to some Cosmodrome areas (such as the Divide and Breach), but they will be updated. You will not see people from the Cosmodrome Patrol.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 18:09 (2926 days ago) @ Korny

In that case, why have overlap at all? Why not just see the wall in the distance and be unable to get there? If you can't walk from the forgotten shore to the plague lands then what's the point in even having them connected? Seems like a strange choice. Just make it separate and let us see the wall in skybox.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 18:34 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Either they thought it would be cool for us to see the areas we know changed by whatever events have occurred, or it was cheaper to reuse some existing geometry. Or both. Probably both.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 18:43 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In that case, why have overlap at all? Why not just see the wall in the distance and be unable to get there? If you can't walk from the forgotten shore to the plague lands then what's the point in even having them connected? Seems like a strange choice. Just make it separate and let us see the wall in skybox.

Might save development costs from partial geometry re-use.
Use emotional connection and create contrast by using differences in a familiar scene.

This.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 19:24 (2926 days ago) @ uberfoop

Use emotional connection and create contrast by using differences in a familiar scene.

Why WOULDN'T you have overlap? I LOVE the idea of seeing an area I played in, at a different time.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 19:28 (2926 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The idea of seeing a true evolution of the environment is one of the most exciting things about this expansion for me. I love the idea of seeing the passing of time.

Why not do it yourself in a CAD program?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 19:34 (2926 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

*Snerk*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 19:38 (2926 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 19:52 (2926 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The idea of seeing a true evolution of the environment is one of the most exciting things about this expansion for me. I love the idea of seeing the passing of time.

Agreed. A living, changing world was supposed to be one of Destiny's key features, but up until now that has run up against their "shared world" philosophy. It put them in a box. Glad they've broken out.

Too bad...

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 19:52 (2926 days ago) @ Claude Errera

...they are doing it this way though. I wish the patrol itself would turn into the plaguelands, and then just like normal and heroic selectors on missions, have a toggle when entering the area. Because most of the time it will be like the legacy strike playlist -- I'm happy that it's there but really don't use it.

Besides it breaks immersion.

Too bad...

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 22:06 (2926 days ago) @ slycrel

Besides it breaks immersion.

No more than any of the other story missions taking place in the same space but at a different time, don't you think?

Too bad...

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 03:06 (2926 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Maybe this is the UI designer in me coming out... but missions that are re-playable and patrol spaces are different things.

Patrol spaces are as close to the "living world" part as we're going to get right now. It's a place designed to go and explore, rather than built from the ground up as "complete x for y reason". It's a space we should revisit over and over.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to go to either space... but really, if the new cosmodrome has much tougher enemies than the old cosmodrome, and more reason for me to go there, I'll go there virtually every time. It says that the old cosmodrome patrol won't get updated in a meaningful way -- I can mostly continue to ignore it like I have been.

I hope it's not this way, but I expect that it will be adding a new destination, that essentially supplants an old destination, but keeping both of them as equal priority in my UI. I think they can do better than that is all I'm pointing out. No need for the place that an individual character most often goes to be the default for a "patrol" space.

There's still a lot we don't know... but on it's face it sounds like a mixed bag for the interface.

Too bad...

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 03:27 (2926 days ago) @ slycrel

Tying it to mission difficulty or some other blended approach would be interesting, but also be unusual behavior for Destiny. And the interface style can smoothly support a huge number of elements. Simply dumping two Patrol "missions" onto the director might be the most elegant solution.

This.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 20:07 (2926 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Why WOULDN'T you have overlap? I LOVE the idea of seeing an area I played in, at a different time.

So someone joins your fireteam and they haven't reached the point in the story where the cosmodrome changes for them. Oops. Separating them is the only practical way to do it which is why it is separate.. But they aren't keeping them separate totally, but linking them in a small way that isn't really linking.

This.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 20:10 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So someone joins your fireteam and they haven't reached the point in the story where the cosmodrome changes for them. Oops.

What's the issue, compared with not-geometrically-overlapping unlockable content?

I think you're confused about how it works

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 20:41 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So someone joins your fireteam and they haven't reached the point in the story where the cosmodrome changes for them. Oops. Separating them is the only practical way to do it which is why it is separate.. But they aren't keeping them separate totally, but linking them in a small way that isn't really linking.

The Plaguelands and Old Russia are 2 separate patrol zones with their own landing zones.
The Plaguelands ALSO happens to take place at a different point in time. Included in the Plaguelands zone is a portion of the Old Russia environment, as it looks in this new time period.

The problem you are describing is impossible. If you're on patrol in the Plaguelands, somebody can't join your fire team unless they've also unlocked the Plaguelands.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:11 (2926 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The Plaguelands and Old Russia are 2 separate patrol zones with their own landing zones.
The Plaguelands ALSO happens to take place at a different point in time. Included in the Plaguelands zone is a portion of the Old Russia environment, as it looks in this new time period.

The problem you are describing is impossible. If you're on patrol in the Plaguelands, somebody can't join your fire team unless they've also unlocked the Plaguelands.

Yes, I know that. I just outlined why they had to do it that way.

I am saying since they did it that way, they can't be connected. So why do halfsies and have overlaying geometry, if the point of sharing geometry is to connect spaces?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:13 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I am saying since they did it that way, they can't be connected. So why do halfsies and have overlaying geometry, if the point of sharing geometry is to connect spaces?

Again: the point of sharing geometry is NOT to connect spaces. It's to connect EXPERIENCES. I explored the Cosmodrome in the current time; in September, I'll be able to explore it again in the time of the Plaguelands. That's super-cool, and I'm really happy about it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:16 (2926 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Again: the point of sharing geometry is NOT to connect spaces. It's to connect EXPERIENCES. I explored the Cosmodrome in the current time; in September, I'll be able to explore it again in the time of the Plaguelands. That's super-cool, and I'm really happy about it.

I see where you are coming from, but I will always know that it's 'fake' because it's two different instances.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:21 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I see where you are coming from, but I will always know that it's 'fake' because it's two different instances.

So is AotCR and Two Betrayals.

And The Storm and Floodgate.

And Mombasa Streets and Tayari Plaza etc.

And Sword Base and The Package.

I don't really see the issue; they're different world states, and at some level it makes more sense than combining the experiences of characters whose events are wildly diverged. Unless the Destiny universe works the same way as the Dark Souls one.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:13 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because the spaces are still connected, just in 2 different timelines.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:17 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

if the point of sharing geometry is to connect spaces?

The point isn't to connect spaces.

Not in the "shared-world game" sense, anyway.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:20 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's not written anywhere that shared geometries have to be connecting spaces. If it worked that way, Story missions such as "Blighted Coven" couldn't exist. They share geometry simply to show the passing of time, and to save some time/money on available playspace.

Just think of it as a new area instead of a junction.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 23:40 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's not like replaying the same scene with the same footage. It's like in 12 monkeys where bruce willis keeps seeing the murder in his dreams, except with different actors as the killer. It's the same, but different, to convey change and growth while maintaining a connection to the past.

This.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 23:37 (2926 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I agree. Revisiting old areas which are now different (and/or when you are different) is a great feeling.

Part of why I thought mission 2 was so dumb. Part of it is just part of mission 1 backwards. Should have waited until after the black garden to have us repeat areas like that.

Symantecs *SP*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 18:31 (2926 days ago) @ Mid7night

A new landing-location, but the "earth" you land on this time has a new environment (so that when you go to the "old" locations they look different)?

That's pretty much exactly what I'm getting from this latest info.

This clinches it

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 22:26 (2926 days ago) @ dogcow

The Guardians are living in a Vex simulation, and Bungie are the Vex.

Changes to the Cosmodrome, we were both right. *SP?*

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 00:13 (2926 days ago) @ dogcow

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread