Segway…

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, July 01, 2013, 22:17 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Am I the only person who likes text articles better than videos, podcasts, or whatever else? Not that I don't listen to / watch almost everything that comes across the front page, but there's something about a few good pages of text that I enjoy. Maybe it's that text rarely has annoying blaring music, a long intro, or (as Cody pointed out) irrelevant ads. Also it seems like audio or video… video especially… is something you have to pay much more attention to. Or maybe it's the way it is much more "natural" and easy to stop reading and return to where you left off, where anything else requires you find the pause button and then find the play button again. Also text doesn't buffer (read stall on my lame connection) or have to download (much, no nitpicking!) it's just there waiting for you. And if you accidentally close the window good luck getting your audio or video back to the same point, with text you can quickly reload and scroll back to where you were.

Yep. Always click on text things, rarely click on video/audio articles. Besides what you already said, I think it's the rehearsed voice that a lot of vidbloggers and podcasts have. I just automatically start cringing and I have to click away! Trailers, clips from things are usually fine, though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread