Wish to upgrade from the awful Xbone controller? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 04, 2016, 15:18 (2908 days ago)

The reportedly-almost-as-good-as-the-DS4 Elite controller is on sale for $120 (and eligible for Prime shipping!).

Improve your Xbox One experience for only twice the price of a regular controller now (can be made to work with a PS4 too). Makes me wonder if the Elite controller will be the default controller for the Slim or Scorpio...

Wish to upgrade from the awful Xbone controller?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 04, 2016, 15:37 (2908 days ago) @ Korny

Makes me wonder if the Elite controller will be the default controller for the Slim or Scorpio...

If only :)

However, the latest revision to the standard Xbox One controller has inherited a few features from the Elite; better bumpers, plus the rubber-grip-texture on the underside. Still not as good as a Dualshock 4, but very nice overall.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 04, 2016, 15:51 (2908 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Still not as good as a Dualshock 4, but very nice overall.

I've finally been converted. I absolutely love the DS4. The Xbox One controller feels awkward in my hands now. ):

Owning all 3

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 04, 2016, 16:08 (2908 days ago) @ cheapLEY

• XB1 Elite, by far the best controller, hands down, I re-bought Rocket League to play on XB1
  • Regular XB1, Solid overall feel and great stick placement
  • DS4, Great feel, weird triggers and weird sticks

+1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 04, 2016, 16:11 (2908 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Owning all 3

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 04, 2016, 23:22 (2907 days ago) @ kidtsunami

• XB1 Elite, by far the best controller, hands down, I re-bought Rocket League to play on XB1
  • Regular XB1, Solid overall feel and great stick placement
  • DS4, Great feel, weird triggers and weird sticks

I used to think that. I hated the stick placement on the PS3 controller. I assumed it would feel just as bad on the DS4. Somehow, it doesn't. It feels natural. I also bought those Destiny themed Kontrol Freak thumbstick, which feel great. I'll agree about the triggers on the DS4--I wish they were a little more trigger-like, a bit longer with more pull. I definitely prefer the Xbox controller for racing games because the triggers feel better and feel like they have more sensitivity.

Overall, I'll agree that the Elite is the best controller I've ever used, period. Granted, I've only used one for a bit over and hour. The DS4 edges out the regular XB1 controller, though. I'm eager to try one of new controllers for the One S and see how it stacks up, but I'm don't think it'll match the DS4 for me. I think the DS4 just fits my hands better.

Anyway, it's all just opinion. But as a long time hater of all the Playstation controllers, I just assumed the DS4 would be just as awful and uncomfortable. It's absolutely not, to the point that I think it's my favorite standard console controller.

Owning all 3

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 04, 2016, 23:51 (2907 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Anyway, it's all just opinion. But as a long time hater of all the Playstation controllers, I just assumed the DS4 would be just as awful and uncomfortable. It's absolutely not

Oh yeah absolutey! Even those of us who like the XB1 controller better can probably agree Sony definitely deserves a medal for most improved controller, maybe of all time!

Owning all 3

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 00:50 (2907 days ago) @ Xenos

That's like congratulating someone for getting Back In Action. :p

Owning all 3

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 01:15 (2907 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That's like congratulating someone for getting Back In Action. :p

Hey, that's the only medal I ever get! ):

Agreed, props to Sony for all of the improvements they made

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 11:45 (2907 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

And it didn't even cost us $200

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 14:54 (2907 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 06, 2016, 10:36 (2906 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

The Microsoft Xbox Elite controller was/is overpriced

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, July 06, 2016, 22:21 (2905 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Ah

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 10:52 (2905 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Eh, I feel like I'm getting the full $150 out of my Elite. I'm barely playing PS4 as it is, though I wouldn't completely blame the controller for it.

Ah

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 15:48 (2905 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Eh, I feel like I'm getting the full $150 out of my Elite. I'm barely playing PS4 as it is, though I wouldn't completely blame the controller for it.

I think it's worth it, too, and not really overpriced when compared to similar third-party options, which, it should be said, don't have the advantages that come from being integrated like a first-party product can be.

Ah

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 16:59 (2905 days ago) @ Kermit

I think it's worth it, too, and not really overpriced when compared to similar third-party options, which, it should be said, don't have the advantages that come from being integrated like a first-party product can be.

I think the price is fine when looking at it on its own merits--it's probably worth the money from a quality standpoint. But when you can get a complete Xbox One and controller for literally an extra hundred dollars, it seems like it's stupidly expensive. I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet MS's profit margins on the Elite controller are absolutely ridiculous and that we are getting raked over the coals from that point of view. At certain point, though, that doesn't really matter--MS is under no obligation to shrink it's profit margin and if the product is worth the money for a large amount of people, then that's the free market in action.

I've used one and loved it, but I still can't justify spending $150 on a controller when the Day One controller I have from launch still works completely fine. If I needed a new controller, I might consider spending the extra money for an Elite, but even then, I doubt it.

Ah

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 18:03 (2905 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Kermit, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 18:13

I think the price is fine when looking at it on its own merits--it's probably worth the money from a quality standpoint. But when you can get a complete Xbox One and controller for literally an extra hundred dollars, it seems like it's stupidly expensive. I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet MS's profit margins on the Elite controller are absolutely ridiculous and that we are getting raked over the coals from that point of view. At certain point, though, that doesn't really matter--MS is under no obligation to shrink it's profit margin and if the product is worth the money for a large amount of people, then that's the free market in action.

I've used one and loved it, but I still can't justify spending $150 on a controller when the Day One controller I have from launch still works completely fine. If I needed a new controller, I might consider spending the extra money for an Elite, but even then, I doubt it.

You could've paid $120 yesterday! I can understand that still may not seem worth it for something you don't really need.

For me it boiled down to quality of life. I can't afford the best of everything, but I can splurge on small things that affect me every day. And after I held the thing--I mean, wow! It is SOLID.

Ah

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 18:37 (2905 days ago) @ Kermit

For me it boiled down to quality of life. I can't afford the best of everything, but I can splurge on small things that affect me every day. And after I held the thing--I mean, wow! It is SOLID.

Oh, I completely understand why someone would deem it worth the money. I may, too, at some point. I feel like $100 is about the upper limit of what I would ever spend on a controller, but we'll see. I just don't dislike the normal controller enough to truly care to spend the money. I've got Mustang parts to buy! (:

The other issue is that I haven't touched my Xbox One in months. I'd even considered just selling it, because Halo 6 is the next big Xbox exclusive I actually care about, and Scorpio will be around by then. But things like Inside coming out, and hopefully Below finally coming soon, are enough of a reason not to at this point. But I for sure don't use it enough to justify a pricey controller to use with it!

Ah

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 04:54 (2903 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You COULD actually start up Forza 6 for once. You know, if you felt like it.

Ah

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 20:01 (2904 days ago) @ Kermit

You could've paid $120 yesterday! I can understand that still may not seem worth it for something you don't really need.

It was 3 days ago. :( (I checked on the 5th, after I heard about it - but it was already too late.)

Ah

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 23:32 (2904 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It was 3 days ago. :( (I checked on the 5th, after I heard about it - but it was already too late.)

Dang, Korny did post that Monday. Times flies when you're old. One day you'll understand, kid.

Owning all 3

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 02:18 (2907 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I definitely prefer the Xbox controller for racing games because the triggers feel better and feel like they have more sensitivity.

They also have force feedback. There's a lot to be said for being able to feel wheelspin and braking behavior/lockups.

This^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 02:08 (2907 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The DS4 is definitely the best Playstation controller ever.

This^

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 02:25 (2907 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, to quote my favorite TV show, that is roughly equivalent to being the finest hockey player in all of Ecuador.

For real, though, it's OK. It took (almost) all of the right cues from the 360, which was the right move to make, pride be damned.

This^

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 15:15 (2907 days ago) @ stabbim

Well, to quote my favorite TV show, that is roughly equivalent to being the finest hockey player in all of Ecuador.

For real, though, it's OK. It took (almost) all of the right cues from the 360, which was the right move to make, pride be damned.

Agreed. It's just too... small. And the angle of the handholds is too close to parallel for my tastes.

The Duke remains the best controller of all time, but for current gen I really like the xbone controller. Haven't picked up an elite yet, but xbone > DS4 by a good margin afaic.

Duke > DS4 > Everything Else > Kinect

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 06, 2016, 21:54 (2905 days ago) @ Kahzgul

My decision to buy a PS4 was influenced in no small way by the DS4. I never liked Playstation controllers before, but the DS4 is almost perfect in my eyes.

Have you used a Duke recently?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 01:39 (2905 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 02:00

Just genuinely curious.

I got an original Xbox shortly after launch, and had it well into the 360's lifecycle (I got a 360 when the Elite came out), and I never did upgrade to a Controller S because I thought it was too small and uncomfortable. I always loved the Duke, even after experiencing the near perfection of the 360 controller.

About a month ago, I was at a buddy's house and he busted out his original Xbox and four Duke controllers for a little Fuzion Frenzy (still a great game!). My opinion now stands corrected. The Duke is an awful, awful controller, only slightly better than whatever garbage controllers Nintendo has made for their last four consoles. It's too big, it weighs eight pounds, the button placement is awful.

I'm sorry, Duke, I wish I hadn't tried to rekindle our relationship. I wish I could have just continued to remember you fondly, but I can no longer justify your flaws.

Edit: I'm not trying to be snarky you say you're wrong about the Duke. Just saying that up until about a month ago, I'd have agreed with you, but actually using one for the first time in five or six years showed me that I was wrong.

I did use one.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 07:01 (2905 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There's only a small problem with it in my book, and it's the black and white buttons. They weren't designed to be in easy reach, as they were intended apparently to be rarely used buttons.

And the thumbsticks need to be set on 10 for me for Halo but on the Japanese controller they only need to be on 5.

To be fair, I'm probably in the top 1% in hand size.

I have. It was strange.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 09:42 (2905 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I too refused to convert from a Duke to the S, but now that conversion has been forced the D certainly feels odd in my hands (ha ha). I still love it, but it takes far too long to adjust for it to be convenient.

More importantly, I can't believe I forgot the gamecube controller. That thing was wonderful.

I have. It was strange.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 12:22 (2905 days ago) @ someotherguy

I too refused to convert from a Duke to the S, but now that conversion has been forced the D certainly feels odd in my hands (ha ha). I still love it, but it takes far too long to adjust for it to be convenient.

More importantly, I can't believe I forgot the gamecube controller. That thing was wonderful.

Everyone raves about it, but I don't get it. It's a step up from the god-awful N64 controller for sure, but it's not great. It's comfortable to hold, but I hate the weird button placements. Nintendo basically defined standard button placement with the SNES, why did the refuse to use it for so long? And that awful little, almost analog stick nipple. I have a hard time understanding the shit Nintendo does sometimes (nearly all of the time).

I have. It was strange.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 12:35 (2905 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The button placements is the best thing about that controller! Being able to shift your thumb to hit A + any other face button easily was genius.

I always had cancer/AIDS even though the face is big too.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 14:21 (2905 days ago) @ someotherguy

What the hell? I can not imagine someone who loves both the Duke and the Gamecube controller. The reason I love the Duke is because I have giant money paws; I had to hold the gamecube controller by my fingertips like a teacup.

I always had cancer/AIDS even though the face is big too.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 14:26 (2905 days ago) @ Vortech

You have giant money paws?

Why are you worried about RoI?

Wait what? Cancer/AIDS?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 16:30 (2905 days ago) @ Vortech

I guess my hands are just the perfect size? Tell your friends.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 12:54 (2905 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Just genuinely curious.

I got an original Xbox shortly after launch, and had it well into the 360's lifecycle (I got a 360 when the Elite came out), and I never did upgrade to a Controller S because I thought it was too small and uncomfortable. I always loved the Duke, even after experiencing the near perfection of the 360 controller.

About a month ago, I was at a buddy's house and he busted out his original Xbox and four Duke controllers for a little Fuzion Frenzy (still a great game!). My opinion now stands corrected. The Duke is an awful, awful controller, only slightly better than whatever garbage controllers Nintendo has made for their last four consoles. It's too big, it weighs eight pounds, the button placement is awful.

I'm sorry, Duke, I wish I hadn't tried to rekindle our relationship. I wish I could have just continued to remember you fondly, but I can no longer justify your flaws.

Edit: I'm not trying to be snarky you say you're wrong about the Duke. Just saying that up until about a month ago, I'd have agreed with you, but actually using one for the first time in five or six years showed me that I was wrong.

I agree. Still makes a good clock, though.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 13:29 (2905 days ago) @ Kermit

I agree. Still makes a good clock, though.

Wow, that's amazing!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 04:55 (2903 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I always thought it was too big. I would guess that perhaps the people who remember it fondly have large hands. Luckily for me, by the time I got my console the S controller was standard.

I liked the Duke

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 11, 2016, 15:53 (2901 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have long fingers though, I bet for most people who have smaller hands it's a nightmare. I think hand-size is a big part of why people like some controllers over others in addition to the general ergonomics of the controller.

I liked the Duke

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 11, 2016, 16:17 (2901 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I have long fingers though, I bet for most people who have smaller hands it's a nightmare. I think hand-size is a big part of why people like some controllers over others in addition to the general ergonomics of the controller.

I had no problems with it either until I used the S controller, which just felt more comfortable.

I think Microsoft was trying to emphasize that this was a console for grown-ups, but I think they overcompensated.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 15:25 (2907 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've finally been converted. I absolutely love the DS4. The Xbox One controller feels awkward in my hands now. ):

The Xbone controller is the first time a "first party" controller has felt like one of those cheap Madcatz alternatives that always breaks. It lacks the superior sticks and form-fitting shape the 360 pad had... not to mention the player # Indicator lights. and don't get me started on the bumpers/"triggers".

The DS4 is like a 360 pad, but they fixed the d-pad and added a headphone/mic jack. Also, typing with Motion controls is soooo much better than with a d-pad/analogue stick.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 16:28 (2907 days ago) @ CyberKN

Have to agree on the quality/feel. While I do like the way the XBone controller works and fits in general, it doesn't feel quite as solid as the 360 controller.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 17:18 (2907 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 17:47

The Xbone controller is the first time a "first party" controller has felt like one of those cheap Madcatz alternatives that always breaks. It lacks the superior sticks and form-fitting shape the 360 pad had... not to mention the player # Indicator lights. and don't get me started on the bumpers/"triggers".

Wow, just shows how subjective this is. To me, Playstation controllers have always felt like cheap Madcatz relative to Xbox controllers.

Recently my gadget that enables me to use the Elite with the PS4 stopped working (temporarily, I hope. Hoping a firmware reset fixes things), and I switched back to the DS4, and the difference is dramatic. Perfectly fine once you adjust and much better than the DS3, which always felt awkward to me.

The DS4 is like a 360 pad, but they fixed the d-pad and added a headphone/mic jack. Also, typing with Motion controls is soooo much better than with a d-pad/analogue stick.

Who types? I use Siri for 95% of my console messaging needs.

DS4 with taller sticks and bigger handles would be perfect.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Sunday, July 10, 2016, 20:59 (2901 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread