Destiny with Dreamscreen [VID] (Off-Topic)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, July 31, 2016, 01:01 (2855 days ago)
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, July 31, 2016, 01:30

Back around Christmas I made a random post about a random product that I wanted to invest in.
Ambient lighting for TV, Home Theater, and Gaming.

I found a good option that was a standalone box and didn't require a PC (ie LightPack) to drive it and do the processing. It was called Ambiscreen. At the time it was the best and most elegant solution I had found yet. Even though I backed it, the project never fully funded, so my monies were refunded (thanks indiegogo). They had communicated that they would try and I had hoped that they would persist and try to re-fund or come to market anyway. However, as it has been a number of months with no further communication, I have given up on getting a product from them in a reasonable amount of time.

It is difficult to search for these lighting products on the net. Shortly after giving up on Ambiscreen, I ran across another project that is a standalone unit that was just funded (evil KickStarter) and had entered the independent pre-order phase. It is called Dreamscreen.

Here is a video of Destiny with Dreamscreen running (in case you don't know what you are looking for: watch the wall behind the TV. The edge pixels around the edge of the display are sampled and displayed behind the TV via external LED kits)

(thanks UltimaPrime over on reddit/destiny for the video)

My unit was just delivered and it is awesome! I would possibly make my own video but my wall behind my TV in the basement is burgundy (prior owners paintjob that I haven't fixed yet) and it doesn't show the full effect.
The unit is a HDMI stick that runs parallel to your HDMI video source on a splitter acting as a simple pass through. The string of LEDs connect up the the stick.
The install of the LEDs was the most difficult part. They come backed with low-stick adhesive for residue free move/remove. I had read about others having trouble so I opted for 3M hooks that are on removable tabs. And the included HDMI patch cable has been faulty for some users so I left it in the box and used my own.

Overall it has been a splendid little kit thus far
(PS Im not affiliated with the Dreamscreen project in any way besides just being a consumer and fan)

If you don't like the lighting distraction during gaming, Here is some Mad Max with immersive lighting:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread