Tentative Recomendation: Fall of Cybertron on PS4/XBOX ONE (Gaming)

by yakaman, Tuesday, August 09, 2016, 21:16 (2820 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

One of my all-time favorite games, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, just released on PS4 and Xbox One today. The original release on 360/PS3 was an incredible game. Apparently the current gen port was handled by a developer that has a not-so-great track record when it comes to port work (poor technical performance), and it is also priced a bit steep ($40 US, I believe... it's $65 Canadian), so it might be worth playing "wait and see" on this particular release before you jump in. But if the port work turns out to be well done, I can whole-heartedly recommend the game.

If you've never played FoC, imagine a 3rd person cover shooter (like Gears of War) but instead of a "snap-to-cover" mechanic, you use cover by dashing and rolling about, and by constantly switching back and forth between your vehicle and combat forms. Combat is fast-passed and encourages taking full advantage of your vehicle-form's low profile and speed to zip between cover points. Over the course of the game, you take control of a variety of different Autobots and Deceptacons who have wildly different abilities. The missions themselves feature loads of incredible set pieces, each tailored around the abilities of the transformer you are controlling at the time. These set pieces are huge and bombastic, each one crazier than the last, and they're all loads of fun. Icing on the cake is the insanely fun class-based PvP mode.

Bonus Destiny-related point, the game was originally developed by High Moon Studios, who is currently working on Destiny content of some kind. Can't wait to see what they bring to the game :)

In my humble opinion, my favorite multiplayer of all time. I know that sounds ridiculous, but sometimes a game just grooves for you. I'll be waiting to see, but as soon as it looks OK, I'm all over this.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread