How'd you like it? (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 09, 2016, 21:46 (2820 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm about halfway through (I'm guessing?). It's . . . hmm. It's enjoyable, for what it is. There definitely doesn't seem to be much of a game there. As simple as Journey was, I feel like it had a point, and it did have more fleshed out mechanics that than Abzu seems to have. I am enjoying it. It's very relaxing and the soundtrack (and sound design in general) is great.

I'm planning on finishing it tonight, so I'll post a quick update here when I do.

You said it. Hmmm. It's a beautiful game, but for me it didn't have the emotional resonance that Journey did. It probably doesn't help that I've got a pretty sizable fear of the ocean.

I picked it back up, but played for about five minutes and turned it back off again. Rebel Galaxy was calling to me. And Abzu just doesn't have enough going on. I enjoyed the hour and a half I spent with it, but, like you said, there's no emotional connection there. Journey had that in spades. Abzu is just missing something to make it compelling.

While we're here, though, talking about indie follow ups, I'll say it again: INSIDE is better than LIMBO, IMHO.

Inside is miles better than Limbo. I put up a reply about it some thread from the past few weeks in which you talked about where I discuss the few issues I had with it. It's a great game that I highly recommend, but it left me feeling a little hollow at the end. But it didn't overstay it's welcome, which I think Limbo did.

Yes, I remember that now. I do recommend INSIDE to all fans of LIMBO generally.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread