"Forward" huh?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 08, 2013, 11:50 (3948 days ago) @ Mid7night
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, July 08, 2013, 11:54

I love me some commentary tracks. So much so that I get kinda mad if a movie doesn't have one. This one was fun as much for what was shown as what was said. I liked the additional angles shown in a couple of places. I also did not notice that the Spider Tank was launching Shanks. I thought they had come from the dropships. Makes the Devil Walker that much tougher of a boss. Kinda makes the Covenant Scarabs seem like wimps. :)

The most interesting thing to me though were the few details they provided about the Wall and the colony ships. Having a logo that says "Forward" with the little spaceship circling it is too cute / positive for a military installation, and yet they say the wall was built to protect the ships. Fasinating. That wall, much less those ships, would have taken years to build unless building techniques had come a long long way in Destiny prior to the fall.

I have a theory: Humanity was experiencing a Golden Age brought on by The Traveler, but as I've said before, it wasn't a Star Trek everything's happy, we all work solely for the betterment of mankind type world. I'm thinking this Russian spaceport was part of a nationalistic space race. That the various governments of Earth were rushing to build colonies on the other planets of the solar system. There may have even been tensions between the various governments. Uncovering the history behind those possible tensions might just be another fun layer of discovery for us in Destiny.

I guess when The Fall began the people of Russia fled towards the spaceport hoping to catch a ride away from Earth. That there were rockets ready to launch, or nearly so, shows just how serious the Russians were about their colonization efforts. That a huge traffic jam had time to form, and that the Russians had time to get tanks to the spaceport shows us that The Fall was not an instant Earth crushing invasion. Beyond that we just don't know much. Could it have been a Seven Hour War like in Half Life? Could it have been a massive coordinated strike of major targets like in Independence Day? Or maybe it was a long, drawn out war with Humanity slowly being driven back and on the point of total annihilation before The Traveler intervened?

Fun! :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread