Is that a high-budget Ex Machina? (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 01, 2016, 19:49 (2816 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because it sure as hell sounds like a high-budget Ex Machina

It sounds like a crap version of Ex Machina. Or maybe it's just a shitty trailer :-p

I thought Ex Machina was a crap version of good Kubrick film.

And which Kubrick film would that be? I don't recall any ever tackling the same subject matter.

Um, all of them?

I'm having trouble following you. Remember, Ex-Machina is not about robots and AI. It is about how men view women, and how even decent men inevitably see women as the 'other'. Eyes Wide Shut sure wasn't about that.

I don't understand someone who knows film like you ostensibly do making an argument that someone's work can't be heavily influenced by a director unless they choose precisely the same subject matter that director chose.

Influenced in what way? I didn't think of Kubrick at all the first time I saw Ex Machina. If Alex Garland said he was influenced by Kubrick then that is great. Even if you are talking purely about style here, I am not sure I'd agree.

I'm not talking purely about style, but that's a big part. There's also a misanthropic cynicism and what I saw as a reaching for some kind of Kubrickian profundity that came across as adolescent pretentiousness by the end, by which time the movie had transformed into a pretty standard scifi action movie (not that I don't like many of those!). I should not have called it crap--I was echoing your language, but I was disappointed. I don't think it lived up to the hype it received.

I liked MOON better, but I always say that when we start talking about current sci fi movies.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread