AI Generated Patrol Encounters (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 02, 2016, 14:55 (2845 days ago)

With all the talk of Ai and procedural generation recently, I thought I'd share an interesting tidbit I learned about Destiny's development while researching my book.

If you remember, Jamie Griesemer's '30 seconds of fun' approach to encounter design was a pretty large part of what made Halo's battles work so incredibly well. There was always a flow to them, where you could take areas and push the enemies back, and each mini encounter flowed into the next making it feel like one big battle rather than just fighting individual groups of enemies. There was a direction of cohesiveness to it all, which was what made them so much fun to play.

Early in Destiny's development (2009-2010 or so), there was an effort to recreate this type of encounter design in AI. The idea being, that the patrol spaces were very large, and players could enter and exit from several different points. Players would also revisit the areas frequently. Because of this, is wasn't really feasible to finely tune encounters like in Halo, since not only would there be too many to design given player position and fireteam composition, but because the spaces were to be revisited it would be good for different encounters each time. So, if the AI could design such encounters on the fly the experience could always be unique and dynamic.

This idea was unfortunately abandoned and never gotten to work. If you look at Patrol mode now, with pockets of enemies the respawn in the same place every time, with no flow or direction to battles, you can see it would have been a great addition.

Not to mention spawn nerfs due to the Loot Cave

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:09 (2845 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm almost positive Patrol was a lot more fun before those nerfs

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:13 (2845 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Loot Cave was the best version of Patrol

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, September 03, 2016, 13:23 (2844 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Shining, shimmering, splendid

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 03, 2016, 13:30 (2844 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

AI Generated Patrol Encounters

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:11 (2845 days ago) @ Cody Miller

With all the talk of Ai and procedural generation recently, I thought I'd share an interesting tidbit I learned about Destiny's development while researching my book.

If you remember, Jamie Griesemer's '30 seconds of fun' approach to encounter design was a pretty large part of what made Halo's battles work so incredibly well. There was always a flow to them, where you could take areas and push the enemies back, and each mini encounter flowed into the next making it feel like one big battle rather than just fighting individual groups of enemies. There was a direction of cohesiveness to it all, which was what made them so much fun to play.

Early in Destiny's development (2009-2010 or so), there was an effort to recreate this type of encounter design in AI. The idea being, that the patrol spaces were very large, and players could enter and exit from several different points. Players would also revisit the areas frequently. Because of this, is wasn't really feasible to finely tune encounters like in Halo, since not only would there be too many to design given player position and fireteam composition, but because the spaces were to be revisited it would be good for different encounters each time. So, if the AI could design such encounters on the fly the experience could always be unique and dynamic.

This idea was unfortunately abandoned and never gotten to work. If you look at Patrol mode now, with pockets of enemies the respawn in the same place every time, with no flow or direction to battles, you can see it would have been a great addition.

That is very interesting indeed. My hope is that they continue to think about this. Maybe they will pick it back up in a later release if it's feasible.

Source?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:16 (2845 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

First hand account

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:17 (2845 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Speaking of, any ETA on publishing?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:28 (2845 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Shortly after Starcraft: Ghost releases.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:33 (2845 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:50 (2845 days ago) @ ZackDark

It's not going to be soon I don't think. I have so much research to do, and so many people to talk to. I want to make it really great so I'm not just going to throw it together.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, September 02, 2016, 16:37 (2845 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's not going to be soon I don't think. I have so much research to do, and so many people to talk to. I want to make it really great so I'm not just going to throw it together.

Totally take your time. My money is ready.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 02, 2016, 17:03 (2845 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Totally take your time. My money is ready.

Meh. Depends on what the preorder bonus is.

Maybe you should give that to charity.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 02, 2016, 17:15 (2845 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

Maybe you should give that to charity.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 02, 2016, 17:40 (2845 days ago) @ Kermit

Like the Brian Morden Foundation?

Definitely worthy.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 02, 2016, 20:27 (2844 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Why not both?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 03, 2016, 11:11 (2844 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

So, like the Guardian Apartments then? Excellent!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 02, 2016, 17:46 (2845 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 02, 2016, 18:28 (2845 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Just because something isn't in the game doesn't mean it wasn't developed or explored.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 06, 2016, 03:36 (2841 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just because something isn't in the game doesn't mean it wasn't developed or explored.

This can only mean one thing: Destiny Hot Coffee! Seriously, we need to bring back 'phrasing.'

AI Generated Patrol Encounters

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, September 02, 2016, 16:18 (2845 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't want to overestimate, but it seems to me like that one change, if it could be made to work properly, could make a HUGE difference in how patrol mode feels.

Here's hoping they get it figured out for the sequel.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread