Civ 6: First Impressions (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, October 24, 2016, 14:52 (2745 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Wow what a game. Graphics, sound, everything comes together so very very well. The new visual presentation of the Wonders is honestly breathtaking. Gosh there's a lot to learn and/or do. Germany is fun to play (Hansa ftw) and the rest seem super interesting one way or another.

Anyone else pick this up? Literally played it all weekend and it was a total joy. :)

EDIT: Also, some real talk. All the Beyond Earth haters get bent - Civ 6 doesn't exist without it, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I've only put 4-5 hours into it so far and I like it. It's weird because it changes so much about every aspect of the game yet it still feels familiar. That, I have to say, is the most impressive thing about it.

I totally picked Germany as well. I was somewhat disappoint by two things so far, first off, I feel like the units feel too cartoonish to me. I know they were going with the game board/map feel with the units and the fog of war and stuff like that. But I don't want units be feel like plastic pieces that came to life so that they can do an attack animation. I'm sure this might improve in later parts of the game but it feels almost too artsy and not cool feeling.

Secondly, I was expecting the barbarians to feel more threatening. They are more threatening than they were in Civ 5, but I don't get the feeling that I'm going to be overwhelmed by them if I don't deal with them like the dev's made it seem.

Don't want you all to take this negatively, because there are way pros to this game. And most of them are things they changed and not because it was bad in Civ5.

A few to point out, the city management is amazing, the mini-civs (can't think of their names) are bad-ass now. Even how you siege a city is different and fun! I feel like this is a completely different game, but it's still just damn good. To me, that is a 7 stars for the developers.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread