Question (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, October 28, 2016, 20:59 (2791 days ago)

How many games do I have to lose before I stop getting consistently matched against teams of regular Lighthouse vets?

Question

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, October 28, 2016, 21:05 (2791 days ago) @ CyberKN

You have to play Saturday morning.

Three, four if you bought a Mercy.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, October 28, 2016, 21:48 (2791 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

True! (see my previous post though)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, October 28, 2016, 21:56 (2791 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

I meant in regular crucible, not trials.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, October 28, 2016, 22:26 (2791 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

For trials, though...

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Saturday, October 29, 2016, 12:55 (2791 days ago) @ CyberKN

... you have the best shot on your third card of the night. I'm sure it's actually random coincidence, but for whatever reason the few times I've been able to go flawless with my friends it's been on the third card of the run.

Question

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, October 28, 2016, 23:00 (2791 days ago) @ CyberKN

The best way is to join a person with lower overall standings than you, and let them queue the match. I think matchmaking is weighted (or dependent on) whoever is fireteam lead. For example, I notice a significant difference in the ability of players when I run in a fireteam where CruelLegacey is the lead than if I or other less skilled PvP players are the lead. This is very consistent and noticeable for me over time. (I'd be willing to test this with you if you'd like, I'm confident you're the better PvPer of the two of us...)

I am pretty sure Bungie has stated that the game tries to matchmake you so that you would win 50% of your games, based on past performance. So in a given session I'd say that you're likely to have matchmaking drop you to a lower level once it "breaks up the teams for a better match" at least twice. It doesn't do that every game though, and I've never tested it (on purpose, heh)... I'd guess losing 3-4 in a row (badly) will get you bumped down enough in matchmaking for the session to be noticeable. There are also other factors, like latency, who's playing around you, what time of day you're playing, etc.

I also don't know if jumping out and back in takes today's standings into account or it resets and does the math for overall. I'd bet that if you jump out and in, it's most likely matchmaking you on overall performance rather than an angoing session's performance.

But in general I believe you'd have to have a serious losing streak over time in order to correct what you are talking about on an overall basis.

Question

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Saturday, October 29, 2016, 12:42 (2791 days ago) @ slycrel

I was under the impression that it wasn't the fire team leader's skill rating used for matchmaking - it was the highest skill rating in the group. My own experience corroborates this; a few of my regular fire team members are really good. When I play crucible with them (even as leader), I get about a 0.8 k/d. When I queue solo, my k/d jumps to 1.2 or better.

I think it does consider everyone...

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, October 29, 2016, 15:21 (2791 days ago) @ Chappy

...but I think it's weighted to the fireteam leader, as of the time the group formed. Just changing leader I don't know has a direct impact.

I could be wrong, but that's definitely the feel I get.

Definitely considers everyone

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, October 29, 2016, 15:28 (2791 days ago) @ slycrel

An average of your team maybe?

A short while after SBMM was implemented I tagged along with a couple of lower ELO players as a ringer and dominated. As soon as Chaos joined us it got noticeably harder as the overall ranking of the group went up.

Definitely considers everyone

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:44 (2791 days ago) @ someotherguy

An average of your team maybe?

A short while after SBMM was implemented I tagged along with a couple of lower ELO players as a ringer and dominated. As soon as Chaos joined us it got noticeably harder as the overall ranking of the group went up.

This is what I'm thinking.

Solo games are 50/50, but if I jump into a game with my 10 year old, it gets so easy it feels unfair to have me on the team.

-Disciple

^ This

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, October 29, 2016, 22:27 (2790 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread