Who uses Bumper Jumper? (Destiny)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, October 31, 2016, 19:36 (2784 days ago)

Thinking about giving bumper jumper a shot (I have an elite controller so I could map it to this also) What are some advantages to using bumper jumper compared to the default layout (besides jumping while aiming)?

Just looking at the setups, Supering with one button looks nice and would probably keep me from power breaking the fragile xbone elite bumpers part of the time.

What other advantages are there?

Jumping + Shooting in Destiny

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, October 31, 2016, 19:43 (2784 days ago) @ unoudid

I think Bumper Jumper is less desirable in Destiny due to the fact that it's generally difficult to land shots while mid-air. I had been using a paddle on the Elite controller as Jump, but I recently switched it to Revive/Reload instead and I like this layout a lot more.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, October 31, 2016, 19:50 (2784 days ago) @ Beorn

I think Bumper Jumper is less desirable in Destiny due to the fact that it's generally difficult to land shots while mid-air. I had been using a paddle on the Elite controller as Jump, but I recently switched it to Revive/Reload instead and I like this layout a lot more.

I currently use 2 paddles and the default layout. I have jump mapped to upper right paddle and slide/evade to upper left. I tried and failed to use all 4 paddles. It just doesn't feel right. I think this is because I tend to grip the controller too hard to allow me to use the bottom paddles comfortably.

I've been debating switching it up so I can revive/open ammo crates while still being able to aim. This has me wondering if it's worth switching over to bumper jumper so I can use evade/slide on the right paddle and revive on the left one?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 08:28 (2783 days ago) @ unoudid

I "claw" my revives, and there's something very satisfying about killing someone mid-revive. I like to imagine they're taken rather by surprise.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 13:50 (2783 days ago) @ someotherguy

I actually claw all the time. I have since Goldeneye/Perfect Dark era. The Duke made it easy for Halo. And shooting while taking other actions gets a lot of people by surpirise. Not just during a revive, but ammo pickups are also a time people will think they have the drop on you. And then they don't.

Have you tried Puppeteer + Elite paddles?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, October 31, 2016, 21:07 (2784 days ago) @ Beorn

Wondering if crouch/evade on the right stick would be a good switch? keep action on left paddle and jump on right paddle?

Have you tried Puppeteer + Elite paddles?

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 05:39 (2783 days ago) @ unoudid

I use puppeteer, and if I could add a paddle to jump (without buying another controller) I would do it in a heartbeat. Love being able to slide, duck, and evade without taking my thumb off the stick.

Can you remap your controller on XB1?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 08:32 (2783 days ago) @ BeardFade

You'd have to move either grenade or melee to a face button, but it's well worth it IMO.

Edit: I also have to close menus with the right stick, which is a bit odd, but c'est la vie.

Yes, my setup after playing last night

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 10:53 (2783 days ago) @ someotherguy

I ended up settling on a modified puppeteer setup (could also just use puppeteer).

I have the control scheme set to default and remapped the right click to the crouch button. I put jump on the right paddle and revive on the left paddle. I could easily just change the control scheme to puppeteer instead and achieve the same affect. I just found myself still wanting to take my thumb of the control stick sometimes to slide. who needs the inspect character button anyway?

I had a lot of fun playing nightstalker in supremacy last night. I became one of those shadestepping, universal remote/sidearm jerks. Besides the fact that I need to learn to not hold the controller so tight, I think using a puppeteer + paddle setup is definitely the way to go.

+1 for Puppeteer Setup

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 12:27 (2783 days ago) @ unoudid

I'm running puppeteer with this paddle setup:
LL - Sprint
UL - Jump
LR - Activate/Revive
UR - Melee

I had crouch/slide mapped to one of the paddles for a while, but swapped it for revive. The only thing I don't like about this setup is that, for the racing sparrows, LL paddle is boost left, and UR paddle is boost right. If I get either of those confused and accidentally try to use the UL or LR paddles, I jump off of the sparrow.

I may make an SRL specific setup and just put it on the other side of the switch.

-Disciple

I do this!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 08:30 (2783 days ago) @ unoudid

Well, I remapped my control to do it without an Elite, but still. Super useful having all those movement options without letting go of the sticks.

If you shotgun, it's really nice.

by LostSpartan, Monday, October 31, 2016, 20:05 (2784 days ago) @ unoudid

I've been using Bumper Jumper since Taken King and recently tried switching back to default out of curiosity. Couldn't do it. While yes, jumping and shooting is not the greatest in Destiny (unless you are rolling Icarus on your guns), I still feel like Bumper Jumper has helped me in certain situations by never having to move my thumb between jumping and aiming. I've juked out quite a few players just because I could launch myself over them while not losing my aim. And with shotguns having almost no aiming penalty while in the air (as least as far as I can tell), shotgunning and bumper jumping is practically cheating sometimes.

and also having a one button super activation is kinda nice too.

EDIT: forgot to mention it is fantastic for keeping up momentum, especially if you run titan and like to skate. You can easily jump and redirect your aim/direction at the same time without missing a beat. So you can pull off some impressive escapes or jump attacks on others.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, October 31, 2016, 20:22 (2784 days ago) @ LostSpartan

I've been using Bumper Jumper since Taken King and recently tried switching back to default out of curiosity. Couldn't do it. While yes, jumping and shooting is not the greatest in Destiny (unless you are rolling Icarus on your guns), I still feel like Bumper Jumper has helped me in certain situations by never having to move my thumb between jumping and aiming. I've juked out quite a few players just because I could launch myself over them while not losing my aim. And with shotguns having almost no aiming penalty while in the air (as least as far as I can tell), shotgunning and bumper jumping is practically cheating sometimes.

and also having a one button super activation is kinda nice too.

EDIT: forgot to mention it is fantastic for keeping up momentum, especially if you run titan and like to skate. You can easily jump and redirect your aim/direction at the same time without missing a beat. So you can pull off some impressive escapes or jump attacks on others.

What about the other button layouts? I can use the paddles currently for skating/floofing/aiming while jumping.

Single button super sounds nice. I'm afraid it could be a problem while aiming my death from above or nova bomb though.

I'd like to get better at crucible/trials so anything I can do to help that out would be nice. I just don't want to go to anymore than 2 paddles.

edit: I'm slowing upping my look sensitivity. I've been playing slow-mo (3) for the first two years. Now at 4, and will move to 5 in another week or two.

by LostSpartan, Monday, October 31, 2016, 20:33 (2784 days ago) @ unoudid

I can't speak to Death from Above, but Nova Bomb has enough of a wind up that it's super easy to push the super button and then fine tune your aim before the blast leaves your palm.

As for the button layout itself, the biggest advantage of Bumper jumper IS the aiming and jumping synergy. So if you can accomplish that with your elite controller and paddles, it probably won't have much to offer you I'm afraid. Since I'm on ps4 and don't have access to that kind of setup, bumper jumper is a godsend.

Honestly I would say just go into patrol and experiment! That's when I did when I first tried using the Jumper setup. Plus your elite controller gives you a lot more options than I would have :) Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the other control schemes! Just wanted to chime in that I use this particular setup and love it.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, October 31, 2016, 20:31 (2784 days ago) @ LostSpartan

The downside is sliding. I like crouch on the sticks so I can aim while sliding. That's the only thing keeping me from bumper jumper. I just like sliding more than jumping.

This is true.

by LostSpartan, Monday, October 31, 2016, 20:35 (2784 days ago) @ bluerunner

and I feel it's Bungie's way of not making any singular control scheme the "best". If you could manage all those movement options in one scheme, it would probably be a little broken.

I honestly don't know how people play this game without it!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 31, 2016, 22:21 (2784 days ago) @ unoudid

Thinking about giving bumper jumper a shot (I have an elite controller so I could map it to this also) What are some advantages to using bumper jumper compared to the default layout (besides jumping while aiming)?

That really is the only advantage, but it's a huge one. Even though shooting while airborn doesn't happen as often in Destiny, simply being able to turn and look around while in mid-air is HUGE. Especially when you consider how much time you spend airborn in this game. I use to to track enemies as the run underneath me all the time. It's just such a huge part of my situational awareness, I don't know how I'd manage without it.

I'm a Bumper Jumper

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 31, 2016, 22:22 (2784 days ago) @ unoudid

It took me 3 games to get used to and generally improved my success rate in combat. I'm far more mobile now and am able to reliably maneuver around maps while titan skating or bones jumping etc.. Of course, that boost to my ability was quickly countered by the new tier of SBMM that I find myself in. C'est la vie.

In general it's great for keeping your ability to aim while in the air, which means you can use more advanced traversal through the levels, keeping your head out of sniper "head height" as you pass through lanes and surprising pre-ADS shotgunners who are corner camping.

Bumper Jumper FTW!

by Spawn ⌂, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 11:32 (2783 days ago) @ unoudid

Haven't posted here in a while!

Anywho, I've been using BJ since Halo Reach and when Destiny first launched, it was definitely one of my learning pains adjusting to the default layout. I've switched over to BJ for over a year now and the biggest advantage is simply aiming while you're airborne. Though, Destiny mechanics aside - you're not always accurate while being airborne. Simply having sight of your surroundings it the advantage though.

I'm just a 4 paddler on the elite

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 11:51 (2783 days ago) @ unoudid

No face buttons for me!

My hands are too fat for that.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 13:37 (2783 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

I stopped using the paddles

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 14:41 (2782 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Putting jump on a paddle didn't really work for skating. I think the buttons aren't as responsive as the face buttons, though it could just be my fingers that were causing problems. It didn't seem like the paddles would activate fast enough.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread