The Witcher 3 (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, November 28, 2016, 03:56 (2725 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm glad you like it! It's an amazing game that everyone should experience.

I strongly dislike the crafting system. It just feels tacked on and, despite hundreds and hundreds of components, is pretty shallow, I think. I engage with it as little as possible. Alchemy is fine, despite being very similar. I just don't like the way the components all break down, and, once you have a bunch of components, the menu load in becomes borderline unbearable.

It never really bothered me. From time to time I'd sell supplies to keep my gold balance up but beyond that crafting was never a big problem. I almost always found and bought what I needed from well stocked vendors right as I decided to craft a better weapon or piece of armor. Besides, having to buy one more piece of silver or whatever was pretty easy and effortless compared to having to craft a million billion iron daggers in Skyrim just to be able to start crafting the armor I actually wanted...

I also didn't mind the cast of characters from the old games. They do it well enough that you can pretty much immediately understand that "Oh, Geralt knows this guy." But it's pretty much never important how Geralt knows him, or their relationship is explained well if it is important.

There's been a couple of times I kinda wished I'd played the previous games to get the full effect of meeting a character, but yeah... they normally explain things enough that you're not too far out of the loop.

I'm not sure where you are in the story, but be weary of Novigrad. Once you get there in the main story, it turns into a bit of a slog for a few hours. You track down one person to find another person to find another person . . . The pace comes to a nearly complete halt. I burned out at that point on my first play of the game. But power through and the story really kicks into high gear. You still have a whole new area to travel to and explore (and my favorite area of the base game).

I just completed the opening segments of Skellige to the point that I'm done with the funeral party. And yes, while the story in Novigrad does kinda string slowly along for a while I appreciated it in some ways. I liked the contrast between the simple lives of the villagers in various towns that the war had already swept through with the greed and political power struggles that could only happen in a large, secure, walled city like Novigrad or Oxenfort.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread