Video Game Live

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, July 28, 2013, 17:21 (3918 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I think I might in the future. There's no context yet. When I hear Rock Anthem for Saving the World I immediately think of the spiraling battle up out of the cartographer. Devil's Monsters is The Flood. On A Pale Horse means scan the skies for Banshees. On and on I can listen to the first few notes of many Halo songs and be transported to the corresponding battle or scene. Destiny's music doesn't do that yet…

Except for Law of the Jungle. It feels epic all on its own, but it also has the context backing it up. Both Eighth and the Ronut music are nice but I don't get as much out of them. I wonder what it'll be like having Music of the Spheres without that key context. Further I anticipate how cool it will be hearing the music in context for the first time as I play through Destiny.

I thought most of Halo's music was good or great independently of context. I'm pretty sure I liked some of the music before I played any of the games. I know when I first fired up Halo 1 I was intrigued and I listened to it for a while with no context except the back of the box, the manual, and the title screen, and I decided I liked it (a lot) pretty quickly. There have been plenty of times where I couldn't remember what part of one of the games went with a song but I remembered the song and I liked it, the first time through and listening again.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread