You guys gotta remember English is not my mother language

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 16:20 (3926 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm totally encouraged to make such 'mistakes'.

=p

You're Brazilian, yeah? If so, I assume your first language is Portugese? Does that language do the male/female thing a la Spanish? 'Fello' vs. 'fella' you could say? I'm terribly ignorant in these matters.

Or was that just a sexy joke?

I'm pretty ignorant there, too.

None of the options above. While we do genderize words by placing 'o' or 'a' at their ends, I wasn't trying to do that at all. Nor was I joking.

I turned to the feminine gender both because of its name (Curiosity) and because it is a vehicle, which I understand are both usually referred as 'she' in American culture, right? The use of the term 'fella' (as in casual 'fellow') sprung from my inability to come up with any other short term at the time that wouldn't detract the intensity of the word 'gorgeous'.

=)

interesting
The tradition is for vehicles (but mainly ships) to be referred to as female, which I think is common in western Europe and countries settled by people from there; in the modern US it's more of a mark of someone who takes ships really seriously. What about "Curiosity" said "feminine" to you?
also SoMP, you should take up learning another language... I could tell you about mental benefits or getting new perspective, but honestly I mostly think it's a good idea for everyone and personally it's a really good feeling overcoming unfamiliar grammar, syntax, conjugation, etc.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread