This. This exactly. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:51 (2609 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I'm a little confused about your conspiracy theory. Did Bungie somehow determine that Deadpool would be popular when they created Cayde-6 pre-2014? Because Cayde-6's character has not changed. Telling stories and acting goofy is who he is. And who he has always been.

You don't want all of Destiny 2 to be Cayde-6 being silly? Cool. But even suggesting that this is some stupid marketing ploy? Not cool. You're reaching. Big time.

Reference: Cayde-6's story about his fight against the Hive alongside a Fallen Baron.

The difference is timing. Cayde-6 is my favorite character in the game. I love that he's irreverent and does his own thing, but he always does his own thing to get the job done the way he thinks it should be done. There's a difference between going rogue and stealing someone's ship for a potential suicide mission because there's no way you'll get official approval for the mission and stopping mid-fight, leaving the rest of the guardians to fight for the last remaining city on Earth without you, so that you can have a drink and make a joke.

If the clip had taken place after the fall of the last city and he was just casually joking about the last of humanity being wiped out because "Y'know that bat-shit crazy plan we came up with to save the day? Heh. Yeah, didn't work", that would have felt like Cayde-6. This isn't Cayde. This is Exo-Deadpool.

-Disciple

If I felt it were Exo-Deadpool, I wouldn't like it either. I guess it's a fine line. One could legitimately criticize Cayde for what he does in-game, too: nearly getting you killed and being unapologetic about it during the Dreadnaught mission.

I don't think I agree with some of your interpretations regarding the teaser. I don't know that he stopped mid-fight or that he necessarily left the rest of the guardians to fight without him. In the fog of war, any number of things could happen. Not that Destiny should be held to a strict standard of realism, but most of war is waiting for something to happen. It's possible to miss the action, to get lost, to find a bar with its hooch intact and its robot custodian working away. It's also completely possible and likely, knowing Cayde, to deal with his near-death by telling the story of it in his own inimitable style as a way of coping.

At this point, though, I think I'm over-analyzing what is simply a fun teaser.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread