I think he was the one being interviewed…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 10:03 (3915 days ago) @ electricpirate

From the article (emphasis mine):

Bungie has always made big cinematic story-driven games. And definitely a big part of Destiny is that cinematic linear experience. There’s a story with a beginning, middle and end, and you’re going to plow all the way through and hopefully enjoy it. But there are also other activities that will tempt you to come back to the world and spend more time in it. Unlike other shooters that last for eight hours and then you’re done, Destiny is a “living “world that is always there waiting for you, with new activities that will tempt you to come back and keep on playing.

The bold part is a pretty big "but". I think that's what you're looking for, even if Joe sort of buried it that response. It's important to remember the target audience, too. Someone who reads a site called "Creative Screen Writing" is probably going to be looking for a bit of focus on the story-writing element, which is inherently not something in the purview of a screenwriter's pen. To re-use the quote you pulled:

"The story you and your friend can tell about that night where you went there and did that thing and got that stuff is going to be more way more powerful than any story I can dream up and attempt to type according to some pattern."

Even so, Joe made a point to call out the "non-Campaign" gameplay content in that first quote. I think Critical Path Joe is the same as Creative Screen Writing Joe. The story (pun intended) hasn't changed, just the emphasis based on the target audience.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread