It's good! (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 23:17 (2462 days ago) @ Morpheus

You have a point, but that does lead to the main problem of this game: It's just a nostalgia trip. I do enjoy the game obviously, but the fact that it instantly became the highest rating Sonic game in 15 years isn't celebratory, it's a major issue, and solid proof that people can't move on from the 2D era. I may be biased as all hell, but even from an outside critical aspect, I can clearly see there have been some very good 3D Sonic games. Emphasis on SOME.

After so many years of people just blindly hating on 3D Sonic, the Team said "Okay, you know what? Fine--we'll make a game just like back when you were a kid. Would you like that? Goooood boy!"

And now we have an enormous condescending patronization for us. They keep the "buttons" and functions the exact same way as they did in 94, they kept the bad sprites and wall glitches and all the stuff we had back then, they put in Debug mode(wow, dude.) for the first time in a quarter century-- they even designed the Collector's Edition to be a straight-up Genesis game, for chrissake! System and cartridge included.

You've seen the messages in Studiopolis—Genesis Does, Lock-On, Welcome to the Next Level—the whole thing is clearly obvious: The Berries are strong with this one. That's the biggest problem with the American fanbase. To paraphrase and steal from a very amusing yet insightful individual: People may not want to admit it, but they don't really want the old Sonic games back. They just want to be 8 years old again, at their best friend's house playing couch co-op, sustaining entirely on pizzas and Sprite. It's been 21 years and people still can't move on with it, they still can't grow up!

So that's why the sprites look bad.

I actually haven't played a bad Sonic game. Even the bad ones are still pretty good, IMO. Worst was maybe Sonic 3D Blast on Genesis.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread