The Perils Of Digital Distribution *OT* (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:06 (3894 days ago)

<rant>Long story short I'm very unhappy with Microsoft and Lionhead Studios right now. A while ago they offered Fable II as a sort of demo with the ability to buy the rest of the game in five "Episode" sized chunks. I did so. Boy was that a mistake. Sometime between then and now it seems Lionhead decided to stop selling the game that way. That also means that those that already owned it that way can no longer redownload it. So here I am able to download nothing but Episode 1. I can play thirty minutes to an hour until the game ask me if I want to buy Episode 2 after the first significant fight. I say yes, and Xbox live pretends to download it for a few seconds, it even got to 1% one time, then tells me it can't. Literally, it says "Can't Download Episode 2" with no other explanation or error code or anything. Worse the few stories I've been able to find tell me that a call to support is just going to get someone to read me an obscure part of the terms of service covering removed content.

I'm pretty unhappy right now. It's not like Fable is my favorite series or anything, but just this, "oops sorry it's no longer available" when it even still appears to be on the Xbox live servers… Yeah, it's discs only for me for a long time into the foreseeable future and it's another big push for me to the PS4. Not that I think their model will be any better, but they haven't made me mad recently.</rant>

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread