The Gauntlet (*SP*) (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 13:31 (2471 days ago)

My team cleared this last night. Pretty tricky to figure out, imo. Other than figuring out the arrows in that you have to shoot two arrows at once, and that which column the red ring appears in is irrelevant our major stumbling block was the final phase. Someone kept dying too early, and we'd time out like 4 seconds before we'd have completed the encounter. Future completions should be easy, but this seemed to be the most obtuse of the challenges so far. Thoughts?

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 13:51 (2471 days ago) @ Kahzgul

My team cleared this last night. Pretty tricky to figure out, imo. Other than figuring out the arrows in that you have to shoot two arrows at once, and that which column the red ring appears in is irrelevant our major stumbling block was the final phase. Someone kept dying too early, and we'd time out like 4 seconds before we'd have completed the encounter. Future completions should be easy, but this seemed to be the most obtuse of the challenges so far. Thoughts?

Yeah, it took us a while to realize that it was the reverse of what the ring showed for the runner. We at first thought we had to shoot the same as the ring and we did that for a while and somehow I managed to shoot the other two arrows that wasn't the ring and got it to turn green and I got all excited. I of course had no idea what I had done.

We eventually figured it out.

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 13:54 (2471 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, it took us a while to realize that it was the reverse of what the ring showed for the runner. We at first thought we had to shoot the same as the ring and we did that for a while and somehow I managed to shoot the other two arrows that wasn't the ring and got it to turn green and I got all excited. I of course had no idea what I had done.

We eventually figured it out.

Yeah, we accidentally got it, too, because one of our guys just sprayed the arrows with his AR and hit the right 2 arrows without hitting the 3rd. For a while we had everyone using ARs, lol.

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 14:50 (2471 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Took us a few runs to figure out the final run too. Our final strategy revolved around the two weakest platformers waiting a few seconds to go. Those two would grab orbs at every gate to ensure they stayed alive long enough for the other two pairs of players (who switched off grabbing orbs at every gate) to get to the finish. I was one of the weak players, and I think I was still fumbling my way through the actual gauntlet when the rest of our team deposited enough orbs to finish the encounter.

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 16:21 (2471 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Took us a few runs to figure out the final run too. Our final strategy revolved around the two weakest platformers waiting a few seconds to go. Those two would grab orbs at every gate to ensure they stayed alive long enough for the other two pairs of players (who switched off grabbing orbs at every gate) to get to the finish. I was one of the weak players, and I think I was still fumbling my way through the actual gauntlet when the rest of our team deposited enough orbs to finish the encounter.

This is a good idea. My team had the four best switching orbs, but we didn't ask the two weakest to wait so there was always a mad scramble and lots of jostling. Our terrible titan jumpers kept falling into the very first pit, resulting in the 30 second countdown timer coming up while there was still 40 seconds of race to go. :( Took us like five tries to make it with 1 second left.

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 16:26 (2471 days ago) @ Kahzgul

We lost a player at the start of the final phase and so actually had a conversation on the strategy of how we were doing it on the next run. Not everyone followed it but we were still overall successful anyway.

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 16:52 (2471 days ago) @ Harmanimus

We lost a player at the start of the final phase and so actually had a conversation on the strategy of how we were doing it on the next run. Not everyone followed it but we were still overall successful anyway.

We had that same talk, but the end result was "sorry guys I dunno how to jump."

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 17:55 (2471 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I would bet money that in Prestige mode everyone has to finish round 4.

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 18:47 (2471 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I would bet money that in Prestige mode everyone has to finish round 4.

And I'd bet money that there are only three orbs per gate, so everyone has to be fast enough to skip gates.

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by squidnh3, Friday, September 22, 2017, 09:41 (2468 days ago) @ Kahzgul

My team cleared this last night.

Pretty tricky to figure out, imo. Other than figuring out the arrows in that you have to shoot two arrows at once, and that which column the red ring appears in is irrelevant our major stumbling block was the final phase. Someone kept dying too early, and we'd time out like 4 seconds before we'd have completed the encounter. Future completions should be easy, but this seemed to be the most obtuse of the challenges so far. Thoughts?

We finished this one last night. The arrow thing was very obscure - we tried the columns thing too, and then almost got to the point of trying to shoot a coordinate system,
but finally figured out the reverse arrow thing. However, even that was tricky because I was able to repeatedly shoot both arrows myself, so it took us a while (and a hint) before we came up with a repeatable best practices method for getting them green.

Speaking of best practices, what did your strategy look like? Originally we were doing a static platforms strategy, where the person clockwise ahead in the sequence would activate the second arrow, but we couldn't get the timing to work out for meleeing the Psions and getting back on the plate. So instead, we split into teams of 3 - a runner, a platform guy (who would shoot the top-most arrow), and a Psion melee-er (show would shoot the bottom-most arrow), who would move around the circle with the runner. That was immediately much more successful.

When we finally got to the end, we somehow completed the course on the first try. I expect to never achieve the same success again.

The Gauntlet (*SP*)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 22, 2017, 12:11 (2468 days ago) @ squidnh3

Speaking of best practices, what did your strategy look like? Originally we were doing a static platforms strategy, where the person clockwise ahead in the sequence would activate the second arrow, but we couldn't get the timing to work out for meleeing the Psions and getting back on the plate.

We used the static platform strategy. Each person in turn alternated which position they were going to shoot. For example, I always shot the bottom most button, while the person to my right always shot the top most button, and the next person always shot the bottom, etc, so you never had to worry about two people trying to figure it out in the moment and shooting the same thing.

As for getting the Psions, they don't spawn until the runner goes through the gate and gets the orb. As soon as the arrows turn green, I would jump off the platform and be waiting for the Psion before he even spawned, immediately punch him, then jump back to my platform with a few seconds to spare to turn to the next gate to help shoot. It was close a few times, but it worked pretty well for us.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread