PS4 Players, go pick up another raid clangram! (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 20:21 (2563 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 20:42

We did it, and it only took us three tries at Callus. We completed Gauntlet, Royal Pools, and Calus in about two and a half hours, and that includes a bit using all our keys.

Crew was:

Myself
Korny
kupkake
TheeChaos
Cody
Sammy

Overall, I think this is a really fun raid. I'm eager to do it again, and I think it's something that will be able to be done pretty quickly with the right fireteam.

PS4 Players, go pick up another raid clangram!

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 22, 2017, 02:08 (2562 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Have any tips for Callus? We keep getting overwhelmed by adds in the "reality" side of things. Got him to like 10% once tonight, too. Grrrr.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, September 22, 2017, 04:34 (2562 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Have any tips for Callus? We keep getting overwhelmed by adds in the "reality" side of things. Got him to like 10% once tonight, too. Grrrr.

Are you punching the psions that appear on the platforms right before you get teleported? Cuz if so - you should stop doing that and life might get easier.

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 22, 2017, 10:00 (2562 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Are you punching the psions that appear on the platforms right before you get teleported? Cuz if so - you should stop doing that and life might get easier.

no we are not. The phase with 6 of us in the throne room is manageable, and downright easy at times. It's while the other three guys are in the shadow realm that those of us still in the throne room get overwhelmed. Usually right around the time we kill the 4th scion, we all have to retreat all the way to the back of the room, and even then it's really dicey and we can't clear the adds before the boss goes into his skull belching power build or whatever you call it.

PS4 Players, go pick up another raid clangram! *SP*

by TheeChaos @, Friday, September 22, 2017, 05:11 (2562 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I wasn't in the "reality" part of the raid but What definitely gained us some more DPS was waiting on jump on the platforms til everyone was there. Wait til everyones out of the torn realm and jump up at once. Not sure if you were doing this, but it might just give you that extra 10%!

PS4 Players, go pick up another raid clangram! *SP*

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 22, 2017, 10:01 (2562 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I wasn't in the "reality" part of the raid but What definitely gained us some more DPS was waiting on jump on the platforms til everyone was there. Wait til everyones out of the torn realm and jump up at once. Not sure if you were doing this, but it might just give you that extra 10%!

Thanks, we do that already. Our DPS is a solid 1/3+ of the boss' health per phase. We once did 50% of his health in one phase, but that was an outlier. The issue is not boss DPS so much as it's actually clearing the adds just before the dps phase.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 08:12 (2562 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Speedracer is right about the Psions. Try only punching as many of the initial 4 as you need to get heavy ammo.

I will upload a video from my perspective on the 'reality' side. Try hanging out on the sides between the platforms, and focus fire on any orange bars that appear in the middle. You get good cover here and can engage enemies individually. You'll see from the video that ads aren't too much of a problem.

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 22, 2017, 10:03 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Speedracer is right about the Psions. Try only punching as many of the initial 4 as you need to get heavy ammo.

I will upload a video from my perspective on the 'reality' side. Try hanging out on the sides between the platforms, and focus fire on any orange bars that appear in the middle. You get good cover here and can engage enemies individually. You'll see from the video that ads aren't too much of a problem.

I'll take a look at the video, but it seems like you're describing exactly what we're already doing (except we never melee the psions before the shadow realm phase starts - heavy ammo is not a problem for those of us in the throne room).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 16:45 (2562 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Outside perspective, with communication and tips...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 12:21 (2561 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 12:48

I've been having tons of issues with Youtube, so it's been nigh-impossible to upload videos, so I'm a bit late to the party with this (congrats on beating it, by the way!), but this is the simple strategy that we came up with.

• Only call out the symbols that are up, never call out the one that needs to be hit.
  • Use deductive logic. I was taking care of Axes (technically Cleavers, but whatevs) and Chalice. If I heard someone call Axes, I'd immediately hop inside of Chalice and wait for the callout. You're safe from enemy fire while you're in there.
  • If you stand by the Chalice pillar, you can see Calus's health bar no matter how bright it gets, which makes it easy to whittle it down exactly where you need to to drop him on demand.
  • When he drops to his knees, keep standing (and firing) on the platform until you see him perform his aiming animation. He will do this animation no matter what, so if you prematurely jump to the next platform, you're either going to get your team killed, or you're going to lose a whole damage platform.
  • Even if you're assigned to one side, help out your teammates on their side. Good advice whether you're inside or out. I couldn't have "soloed" the Left without CheapLEY and Cody throwing some shots my way.

At 10:04 in the video, I had a "This is gonna suck" moment, especially since I thought that Cody and Cheap had both used up their revive tokens. No idea why he decided to randomly napalm that platform, but I didn't think I'd make it...

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 22, 2017, 11:59 (2562 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I forgot to record my perspective last night. ):

Korny, Cody, and myself were the ones that went back to the real Throne room. Korny covered the left side, Cody and I were on the right. Korny would kill the Psions on the left when needed, and Cody would kill the ones on the right when needed. I stayed on the right, against the wall, moving front to back just killing adds. I spent a lot of time shooting across the room towards the left side to help keep Korny clear.

I'm not sure what classes you all are rocking, but the Arc supers all seem to work really well for add control. I was running my Stormcaller Warlock and popping my Super whenever it was ready to kill adds. Most supers seem pretty ineffectual against the boss, so use them liberally to stay alive and kill things. Pulse grenades are also really, really useful. You can just toss one at the spawn door and it basically just kills a whole group as they exit.

Swords are really good against the orange bars, as is Hawthorne's shotgun. Use Coldhearts if you have them to burn the boss, which frees up your heavy slot for something that's good against the orange bars.

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 22, 2017, 12:31 (2562 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I forgot to record my perspective last night. ):

Korny, Cody, and myself were the ones that went back to the real Throne room. Korny covered the left side, Cody and I were on the right. Korny would kill the Psions on the left when needed, and Cody would kill the ones on the right when needed. I stayed on the right, against the wall, moving front to back just killing adds. I spent a lot of time shooting across the room towards the left side to help keep Korny clear.

I'm not sure what classes you all are rocking, but the Arc supers all seem to work really well for add control. I was running my Stormcaller Warlock and popping my Super whenever it was ready to kill adds. Most supers seem pretty ineffectual against the boss, so use them liberally to stay alive and kill things. Pulse grenades are also really, really useful. You can just toss one at the spawn door and it basically just kills a whole group as they exit.

Swords are really good against the orange bars, as is Hawthorne's shotgun. Use Coldhearts if you have them to burn the boss, which frees up your heavy slot for something that's good against the orange bars.

Cool, thanks - this is exactly the sort of advice I was hoping for :). I've been using merciless on both orange health adds and boss (no problems with ammo), but maybe I'll try a coldheart / Linear Fusion combo tonight. Lord knows my submachinegun was mostly useless. Hawthorne's shotty is the bomb. I love using it in the baths. Which sounds weird now that I've typed it out. I wonder if our issue is that we have both tether hunters in the throne room so our only super for add control is a stormcaller? Tether is great for control, too, but you need concentrated adds in order to ensure you get full tether back up in time for the dps phase. Hmm... I wonder if I could tether the middle door on one side or the other and catch all of the adds as they spawn?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 22, 2017, 13:17 (2562 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Hmm... I wonder if I could tether the middle door on one side or the other and catch all of the adds as they spawn?

You sure can. Cody was running tether. I don't recall specifically about last night, but the few times we did the part before, he would tether the middle door and I'd use Stormtrance to mop up. The adds from the top right door also all pretty much always just come straight down, so you can tether them right as they hit the sun pillar and mop them up there pretty easily, too.

I typically saved my Empowering Rift with Arc Soul for extra boss damage, but having your Warlock switch to Healing Rift and placing it on whichever side is having the most trouble staying alive could also be beneficial. I'm not super sure how much having the Empowering Rift during the DPS phase for the boss really helped.

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 22, 2017, 13:27 (2562 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Hmm... I wonder if I could tether the middle door on one side or the other and catch all of the adds as they spawn?

You sure can. Cody was running tether. I don't recall specifically about last night, but the few times we did the part before, he would tether the middle door and I'd use Stormtrance to mop up. The adds from the top right door also all pretty much always just come straight down, so you can tether them right as they hit the sun pillar and mop them up there pretty easily, too.

Cool! We'll try that tonight.

I typically saved my Empowering Rift with Arc Soul for extra boss damage, but having your Warlock switch to Healing Rift and placing it on whichever side is having the most trouble staying alive could also be beneficial. I'm not super sure how much having the Empowering Rift during the DPS phase for the boss really helped.

You can do both! We only have 1 warlock in our raid, and he runs healing rift until we stagger the skull belching and then changes to empowering rift. The ability is back up in time for the 3rd platform during the dps phase, and the arc souls last a bit past that, maybe halfway through the 4th platform. (we go dogs, axes, cup, sun so we do max damage on platforms 3 and 4).

We did it!

by Kahzgul, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 02:56 (2561 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Almost got him in 2 phases (72x and 70x multipliers, missed by ~3% health). The big change was for us in the throne room. I became a dedicated psion puncher and the other two guys became full-time add murderers. After the 4th scion went down, we retreated to the entrance of the room to clear adds until the big spell happened. Then two of us dpsed the boss whilst the 3rd continued to clear adds.

The only bummer is that the raid milestone disappeared, so we never got that extra "powerful item".

Congrats!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 09:01 (2561 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Good job! It's a great feeling to kill that bastard.

Regarding milestones:

I was playing on an alternate character the other day. A few folks wanted to do the Nightfall, and I still needed the first do 2 strikes milestone, so we did it, and then it just never gave me the Nightfall milestone. I went to orbit and back, talked to Zavala multiple times, it just didn't unlock until the next day when I logged in. I think there's definitely something up with milestones. The game seems to have a bunch of little issues like that.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread