Coldheart (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 13:33 (2562 days ago)

So, ColdHeart is pretty good. In fact, nearly everyone is using it to burn bosses, including Callus. And if you didn't pre-order… you are out of luck until December.

Isn't it a bit Ironic that I,having acquired the game 3 days before the people who preordered it, have to go without ColdHeart? That I can't experience this cool new weapon just because I preferred to buy the game at a store?

So I'm denied a cool, good gun.

Pretty cold Bungie.

Cody's new hawkmoon?

by Robot Chickens, Friday, September 22, 2017, 13:46 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Coldheart

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 22, 2017, 13:53 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So, ColdHeart is pretty good. In fact, nearly everyone is using it to burn bosses, including Callus. And if you didn't pre-order… you are out of luck until December.

Yep, that does indeed sound like the definition of a pre-order exclusive...

Isn't it a bit Ironic that I,having acquired the game 3 days before the people who preordered it, have to go without ColdHeart? That I can't experience this cool new weapon just because I preferred to buy the game at a store?

So you paid full price for the game before its release date, but you didn't want to preorder it from any one of the multiple outlets available to you, and so you're complaining that you simply didn't preorder it correctly, but did in fact technically preorder it...

So I'm denied a cool, good gun.

Pretty cold Bungie.

Remember when Hawkmoon was announced as a timed exclusive, and everyone figured the weapon would suck?
You should know better by now, man...

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 13:56 (2562 days ago) @ Korny

Remember when Hawkmoon was announced as a timed exclusive, and everyone figured the weapon would suck?
You should know better by now, man...

And then when TTK rolled around and gave it to everyone it DID suck! :-p

Coldheart

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 22, 2017, 13:59 (2562 days ago) @ Korny

Oh c'mon. Buying it from some store that broke street date isn't even remotely close to preordering.

I'm with Cody on this one. Pre-order exclusives suck, but they're usually bullshit that is easily ignored (remember the weapon pack for The Taken King that everyone was immediately overleveled for?).

Coldheart is one of the best guns in the game for specific cases, and locking it behind a preorder is a shitty move. Sure, December isn't that far away, but it still sucks. And while we all got it automatically, I bet it just gets added to loot table in December rather than just being given to everyone else like it was for us, so it could be who knows how long before he actually gets one.

It's lame.

Coldheart

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:08 (2562 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oh c'mon. Buying it from some store that broke street date isn't even remotely close to preordering.

I'm with Cody on this one. Pre-order exclusives suck, but they're usually bullshit that is easily ignored (remember the weapon pack for The Taken King that everyone was immediately overleveled for?).

don't forget that the Vanilla D1 preorder bonus included early access to the vanguard armory (which was pretty worthless) and the frontier ghost shell that you couldn't infuse until year 2.

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:11 (2562 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

don't forget that the Vanilla D1 preorder bonus included early access to the vanguard armory (which was pretty worthless) and the frontier ghost shell that you couldn't infuse until year 2.

For some reason, my physical copy came with the code for that (despite me not preordering). It is very useful for new characters.

Coldheart

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:32 (2562 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Whoa whoa whoa! Vanguard Armory worthless?! Just where do you think you got the weapons you fought off the Red Legion in the Tower Courtyard with?? That was the Vanguard Armory! :p

Coldheart

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:12 (2562 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You're right, going out of his way to break the street date isn't the same as preordering, and since he didn't preorder the game, he doesn't get the gun.

Why he went specifically out of his way to try to obtain the game early just to fill the void of self-esteem or something is beyond me, but then he complains that he doesn't get the thing that he was told he wouldn't get unless he preordered? FOH, as they say...

Coldheart is really good for certain situations, but you can get much of the same done with something like Tarantula, Merciless, or even Hard Light. I dunno, they showed the gun off plenty before the game came out, you could easily tell that it would be great against bosses.

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:27 (2562 days ago) @ Korny

Why he went specifically out of his way to try to obtain the game early just to fill the void of self-esteem or something is beyond me

Maybe I was really excited to play? Ever think of that? I am a fan after all.

Coldheart

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:33 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why he went specifically out of his way to try to obtain the game early just to fill the void of self-esteem or something is beyond me

If quenching that desire a few days early was worth missing out on the gun, then you have nothing to complain about.

If it wasn't worth it, then it was entirely your fault, and you have nothing to complain about.

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:36 (2562 days ago) @ Korny

If quenching that desire a few days early was worth missing out on the gun, then you have nothing to complain about.

If it wasn't worth it, then it was entirely your fault, and you have nothing to complain about.

I don't pre-order on principle, so either way I'd have missed out on ColdHeart.

Coldheart

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:38 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just like you refused to buy games with Microtransactions on principle, and yet...

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:42 (2562 days ago) @ Korny

Just like you refused to buy games with Microtransactions on principle, and yet...

We had this discussion. You know why I got Des2ny.

10 Points Gryffindor

by Kuga, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 10:26 (2561 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Coldheart

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:47 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I waited until the week before launch to pre-order. I got my preorder bonus, without giving anyone free money for 6 months.

Coldheart

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:56 (2562 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I know somebody who preordered just a few hours before release and got Coldheart.

I preordered for the digital version on Xbox and didn't get charged until just a week or two before release. They weren't really sitting on my money very long.

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 15:04 (2562 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I waited until the week before launch to pre-order. I got my preorder bonus, without giving anyone free money for 6 months.

But now you validate and encourage developers publishers to continue with pre-order bonuses, instead of everyone getting the same game.

Coldheart

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 22, 2017, 15:23 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You did the same by buying on PS4. That log in your eye surely must hurt terribly!

EOT

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, September 22, 2017, 15:27 (2562 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 15:32 (2562 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You did the same by buying on PS4. That log in your eye surely must hurt terribly!

That is at least partially true. I chose my current gen system in part because I wanted the best version of Destiny. Even without the exclusives, the PS4 version is the best version. It was either do that and indirectly support the platform exclusives, or be bombarded with ads when I turn on an Xbox One. Neither is a great thing, but the choice was clear.

Coldheart

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 06:48 (2556 days ago) @ Cody Miller

or be bombarded with ads when I turn on an Xbox One. Neither is a great thing, but the choice was clear.

Those are "ads"? I mean, in a technical sense I guess they are... I consider them more of notifications. Notifying me that I get to play games for free or really cheap. I've played a lot of good (and some bad) games for free that I never would have played without them. So they are a boon for me.

No principal on breaking street date, though!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 14:25 (2561 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It seems that when it comes down to it, you don't have any problems compromising your own integrity, whatsoever.

You bitch like nobody's business about pre-orders, and microtransactions, and the grind and treadmill, but yet you knowingly acquired the game early anyway (how hard would it have been to simply pass, when you found a seller breaking street date??), shot your mouth off on the forum and got banned for it. Literally retarded™.

I gotta give mad credit to Cyber, thus far he's kicking your ass in the conviction department.

You deserved to be banned. A week was too easy, clearly. You learned nothing.

You are the WORST kind of fan.

You show ALL the signs of addiction when it comes to playing this game.

Everything is a race you know

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 15:04 (2561 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 15:21 (2561 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 15:25

You bitch like nobody's business about pre-orders, and microtransactions, and the grind and treadmill, but yet you knowingly acquired the game early anyway (how hard would it have been to simply pass, when you found a seller breaking street date??)

I am not following how buying a copy of the game at the store is somehow a breach of principles. There was zero reason to pass… I wasn't doing anything Tuesday, so why NOT start playing? The servers accepted me just fine.

If you are under the impression that was what got me banned, you are not correct.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 16:24 (2561 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're purposefully ignoring the part anybody is taking issue with.

It's not that you bought the game at a store, rather than acquire it digitally, or something;

It's that you bought a game before it should have come out, knowingly supporting a practice (breaking street date) that's kind of shitty (it's disrespecting developer/publisher intent and just unfair to people who can't or won't buy before they're supposed to, and retailers that aren't willing to do something they're not supposed to who lose sales because of it).

Maybe that's not a breach of your principles at all, but don't pretend like you don't get what part of it people are saying should be.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 16:43 (2561 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

You're purposefully ignoring the part anybody is taking issue with.

It's not that you bought the game at a store, rather than acquire it digitally, or something;

It's that you bought a game before it should have come out, knowingly supporting a practice (breaking street date) that's kind of shitty (it's disrespecting developer/publisher intent and just unfair to people who can't or won't buy before they're supposed to, and retailers that aren't willing to do something they're not supposed to who lose sales because of it).

I don't think it's very shitty. It's shitty when either:

1. You get it early through piracy / leaks
2. You get a version that is not complete (linked to #1)
3. You spoil others

None of those were true in my case. I paid for the final game, and did not spoil anyone else.

As for the retailer, the risk is on them and not my problem.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 16:46 (2561 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Okay.

I disagree with you, but I can see where you're coming from.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 16:29 (2561 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You bitch like nobody's business about pre-orders, and microtransactions, and the grind and treadmill, but yet you knowingly acquired the game early anyway (how hard would it have been to simply pass, when you found a seller breaking street date??)

I am not following how buying a copy of the game at the store is somehow a breach of principles. There was zero reason to pass… I wasn't doing anything Tuesday, so why NOT start playing? The servers accepted me just fine.

If you are under the impression that was what got me banned, you are not correct.

Just gotta say that at no point does Rev even imply that it was what got you banned. He specifically said that it was you shooting your mouth off at others here that got you banned (and honestly, he knew exactly why you were banned before most people on the forum even knew that you were banned at all).

Also, you seem to have missed the entire point of his post.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, September 25, 2017, 17:54 (2559 days ago) @ Korny

As someone who didn't know Cody got banned (I didn't want spoilers so I just avoided the forum for a few weeks.), let alone the reason, I read it as saying it was because of the pre-order (I assumed it had to have been related to something like breaking Rule 2.). I went back and reread to figure out why, and I think it is because the two things are in the same sentence separated by a comma so it sounds like a chain of events if you were not around for the events.

For all the talk about "missing the point"...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, September 25, 2017, 18:22 (2559 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It seems that when it comes down to it, you don't have any problems compromising your own integrity, whatsoever.

You bitch like nobody's business about pre-orders, and microtransactions, and the grind and treadmill, but yet you knowingly acquired the game early anyway (how hard would it have been to simply pass, when you found a seller breaking street date??), shot your mouth off on the forum and got banned for it. Literally retarded™.

I gotta give mad credit to Cyber, thus far he's kicking your ass in the conviction department.

You deserved to be banned. A week was too easy, clearly. You learned nothing.

You are the WORST kind of fan.

You show ALL the signs of addiction when it comes to playing this game.

It seems you are doing everything but addressing Cody's actual comment.

Cody is saying that pre-order bonuses that directly effect playable content suck.

Disagree with that? Cool! Tell us why (or don't, whatever).

But you are going directly out of your way to attack the guy over issues he isn't actually complaining about.

Yes, he bought his copy early, but he BOUGHT IT fair and square from a retailer. Cody didn't break the rules, the retailer did. You may still think that's a crappy thing for him to do... that's totally a fair point to disagree on (but for what it's worth, Bungie's long-standing policy is actually on Cody's side. They don't ban players for accessing the game early if the player has a valid receipt from an authorized retailer).

But all of that is beside the point. The only reason Cody mentioned it at all (I think) is because the system allows someone to preorder the game a day early and get bonus content, while he also paid a day early but didn't get the bonus content.

Now there are obvious practical problems with Cody's argument there. It's easy to say "you didn't pre-order, so don't complain about not getting the preorder bonus". At one point in this thread, somebody (Korny?) said that Cody should have "known better" since Hawkmoon was so good in D1, therefore he should have expected Coldheart to be awesome too. But again, none of that addresses the actual point Cody is making.

Please people, do yourself and everyone here a favour and take an extra minute before you jump down someone's throat over something they didn't even say. There's enough for us to disagree on and debate without inventing reasons to treat each other badly.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 25, 2017, 18:58 (2559 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But all of that is beside the point. The only reason Cody mentioned it at all (I think) is because the system allows someone to preorder the game a day early and get bonus content, while he also paid a day early but didn't get the bonus content.

Correct.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 25, 2017, 19:51 (2559 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Well said, thank you.

I really dislike seeing people jump all over people so often. There's to much hatred and pettiness going on in the world to be treating each other badly about video games.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 08:39 (2558 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

i don't see an issue with cody buying it from a vendor that broke street date. it's just hilarious that he thinks that entitles him to pre order bonuses. he purchased the game outside of the manner intended by Bungie/Activision. while not illegal by any means, he circumvented the spirit behind the preorder process. whether its worth it to play a day early, or to have a better weapon for 3 months is up to cody. he made a choice, and now has to live with it. i don't feel sorry for him one bit. i also do not hate him for playing a day early. I just find it funny that he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 10:17 (2558 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

i don't see an issue with cody buying it from a vendor that broke street date. it's just hilarious that he thinks that entitles him to pre order bonuses.

He didn’t say or imply that. His entire point was that preorder bonuses suck, period. He wasn’t whining that he didn’t get the bonus even though he got the game early.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 10:48 (2558 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

i don't see an issue with cody buying it from a vendor that broke street date. it's just hilarious that he thinks that entitles him to pre order bonuses. he purchased the game outside of the manner intended by Bungie/Activision. while not illegal by any means, he circumvented the spirit behind the preorder process. whether its worth it to play a day early, or to have a better weapon for 3 months is up to cody. he made a choice, and now has to live with it. i don't feel sorry for him one bit. i also do not hate him for playing a day early. I just find it funny that he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

I didn't take his post that way, myself. I don't think he expected or believes he deserved the preorder bonus. He knew he wasn't getting Coldheart. He was just pointing out he paid the same money at the same time as many who preordered, but he doesn't get the same gameplay experience. The fact that we all knew this going in and could plan our purchases accordingly does not make it a less shitty business practice.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 11:01 (2558 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 11:12

I didn't take his post that way, myself. I don't think he expected or believes he deserved the preorder bonus. He knew he wasn't getting Coldheart. He was just pointing out he paid the same money at the same time as many who preordered, but he doesn't get the same gameplay experience. The fact that we all knew this going in and could plan our purchases accordingly does not make it a less shitty business practice.

Actually...

Imagine if a new IP from your favorite and newly independent game studio was advertised for months that a preorder on any platform would get you into an early beta. Then, on a day reserved for all that studio’s fans it was revealed that one group who was paying the same amount of money as every other group was also going to get an early alpha and extended play time in the beta.

THAT would be more shitty, so knowing things beforehand... yeah. Knowing can indeed be less shitty.

Your point about targeting Cody’s actual argument is a decent one, though. The topics are arguably related but ultimately are distinct...

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 11:36 (2558 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Hahah, yeah, that sure was a thing.

And I agree about targeting Cody's actual argument.

I was one of the people talking about the broken street date; I only really replied in that one chain because I got ignored in my own bullet. I got the answer I was looking for by doing that, though, so, yeah.

But yeah, preorder bonuses do kind of suck, and Cody can say that regardless of when he got the game. He could say it if he had the preorder content! I don't have much to add to that. I think they suck less than console exclusives, but those really suck, so, small feat, there.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 14:52 (2558 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I not once said I expected the bonus. This is exactly what Cruel was talking about.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 04:06 (2556 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I not once said I expected the bonus. This is exactly what Cruel was talking about.

You wanna know something funny?

My brother bought Destiny 2 about a week ago. He did ask me about Coldheart at one point, and I told him that he'd be able to get it in December.

He finally beat the story yesterday, and guess what Exotic was waiting for him with Banshee? :P

The guy who broke street date didn't get Coldheart, but the guy who didn't buy the game until two weeks after launch did...

Womp womp...

Coldheart

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:22 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have very little sympathy for you, someone who went out of his way, again, to break street date. You could have preordered at no additional cost and probably even saved yourself a bit of effort, but you had to be contrary. And now you’ve paid a minor, short lived price.

[image]

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:36 (2562 days ago) @ Ragashingo

If I were a developer, I would be heartbroken if someone bought my game and couldn't experience it the same way everyone else does.

Games are art, and you care about that, then you can't just hold stuff back from the package.

That is the point here. It's easy to dismiss when the preorder bonus sucks, but in this case it doesn't.

Don't feel bad for me. I will never ever preorder.

Coldheart

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 22, 2017, 14:46 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ah. So this is just a you want to hear yourself talk thread. Ok. Mission Accomplished... I suppose.

Coldheart

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 15:08 (2562 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You know, I remember many people saying that pre-order bonuses that gave you an advantage were bad things. Here we get one that demonstrably provides advantage, yet suddenly not a peep.

The slippery slope is real.

Coldheart

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 22, 2017, 15:21 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sometimes people say things that are wrong. I’m fine with most types of preorder bonuses. Including Coldheart. It’s platform exclusives that annoy me.

Coldheart

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, September 22, 2017, 15:17 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If I were a developer, I would be heartbroken if someone bought my game and couldn't experience it the same way everyone else does.

Games are art, and you care about that, then you can't just hold stuff back from the package.

They can't feel that bad. I still don't get to experience the full version of D1 even though D2 is out.

Coldheart

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, September 22, 2017, 15:55 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Preorder exclusives do kinda suck, yeah.

I have zero sympathy for you, though. (Though I know that's not the point.)

You don't want to give the developer money for a game before you can play it, so you... bought the game before you could play it?

I mean, sure, it didn't tick up the preorder numbers, but. Why is supporting a dubious industry practice because you want to own the game early okay, but supporting a different dubious industry practice because people want to sort of own the game early not, is my question.

(Although it is kind of silly that people who bought it digitally early but didn't preorder got the code for the stuff, but people who bought it physically early but didn't preorder don't, if I understand correctly.)

Coldheart - It's neat looking but not that great, actually

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 22, 2017, 16:31 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't like it to burn bosses. It does okay damage and is fun to use, but it's not a gamebreaker to not have it. Stick to Merciless and you'll out-dps those coldhearted sons of bs.

You. Are. Just. The. Best.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, September 22, 2017, 17:18 (2562 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

<3

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 22, 2017, 20:35 (2562 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

It can't drop via exotic engram?

by naturl selexion, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 01:09 (2561 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It can't drop via exotic engram?

by Kuga, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 05:28 (2561 days ago) @ naturl selexion

I preordered. It has decrypted for me on an alt.

It can, but only if you pre-ordered.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 23, 2017, 07:15 (2561 days ago) @ naturl selexion

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread