What's the best Blade Runner version? (Off-Topic)

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 00:57 (2442 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 01:03

My dad has the directors cut on DVD. Is this the one to watch?

I heard bad stuff about final cut, and also bad stuff about director's cut, and tons of bad stuff about theatrical.

What's the best Blade Runner version?

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 01:25 (2442 days ago) @ Funkmon

I heard bad stuff about final cut, and also bad stuff about director's cut, and tons of bad stuff about theatrical.

I think they're all fine. The director's cut and theatrical are different enough that watching both of them is interesting. I personally prefer the theatrical, but mostly for the snappier pacing. Important caveat: I've read the book the film is based on (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick) so the movie made sense to me without further consideration. I've heard it can be confusing to those who haven't read the book; I'm not sure. It's a great book, though, and well worth the read. It's no "Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said" but it's still a fine novel.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 09:32 (2442 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I think they're all fine. The director's cut and theatrical are different enough that watching both of them is interesting. I personally prefer the theatrical, but mostly for the snappier pacing. Important caveat: I've read the book the film is based on (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick) so the movie made sense to me without further consideration. I've heard it can be confusing to those who haven't read the book; I'm not sure. It's a great book, though, and well worth the read. It's no "Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said" but it's still a fine novel.

Blade Runner, at least in the Final Director’s Cut or whatever it’s called, was absolutely confusing for me not having read Dick’s original work. Of course, that’s something I intend to remedy very, very soon. My sister recently watched the film for the first time and was similarly unimpressed by how often she was blindsided by a development in the characters, setting, and so on that was so vaguely explored in the scenes prior, if at all.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:13 (2442 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The bored, perpetual recap of the VO in the theatrical cut ruins anything else that it may have done better for me.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:44 (2442 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The bored, perpetual recap of the VO in the theatrical cut ruins anything else that it may have done better for me.

It was following a convention of detective stories. When it first came out, I think many of us who liked it were so bedazzled by the visionary quality of it, any issues with the V.O. seemed like a quibble.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:50 (2442 days ago) @ Kermit

It is the version I originally saw. And I hated the movie. But while I understand it is playing to that trope I don't think the film benefits from it. At all. There are definitely movies where a VO like that is great (Fallen, for example) I think it is totally a disservice to Blade Runner.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 12:02 (2442 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It is the version I originally saw. And I hated the movie. But while I understand it is playing to that trope I don't think the film benefits from it. At all. There are definitely movies where a VO like that is great (Fallen, for example) I think it is totally a disservice to Blade Runner.

The question I have is, did you see it before you saw all the other movies that came after it and looked like it?

In 1982 it was unique, and its uniqueness went a long way.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 12:12 (2442 days ago) @ Kermit

The question I have is, did you see it before you saw all the other movies that came after it and looked like it?

I don't think I did. I think the first version I saw was the Director's cut, in 1992. (I don't remember seeing the original in theaters in 1982, though I was certainly watching movies then. not sure exactly why - probably a money thing.)

I'm not sure, but it really sounds like the movie resonated with you in a way that it didn't resonate with most people, at that point. And that's awesome for you, but it makes your opinion harder to use as a starting point. :)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:35 (2442 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't think I did. I think the first version I saw was the Director's cut, in 1992. (I don't remember seeing the original in theaters in 1982, though I was certainly watching movies then. not sure exactly why - probably a money thing.)

I'm not sure, but it really sounds like the movie resonated with you in a way that it didn't resonate with most people, at that point. And that's awesome for you, but it makes your opinion harder to use as a starting point. :)

I've tried to qualify my comments here and elsewhere to say I was talking about the people who liked it at the time it was released. I didn't hear anyone complain about the V.O. until after it became well-known that Ridley Scott didn't want it, the director's cut was released, and it became an article of faith among the nerd set that the V.O. sucked. I agree it's better without it, but not that much better (and something is lost, too).

In 2017 most people have probably seen the Director's Cut and like it best, and that's fine. I'm only providing historical perspective. Among people who appreciated it in 1982, the V.O. didn't detract from the perception that it was unique and special, obviously. I'll go further, though. I think the director's cut, if that had been the only version, would not have done better box office. Likewise, if the theatrical cut had been the only cut, it's reputation still would have grown, and it'd still be considered groundbreaking today.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 12:22 (2442 days ago) @ Kermit

It would have been the first thing I saw visually and conceptually like it. Liking things for being striking and interesting or different is pretty common for me. Blade Runner was a stepping stone out of Fantasy (The Dark Crystal, Legend, Willow) and past the blurring into science-fantasy (Star Wars, Krull) for me. A lot of movies with obvious inspiration are pretty dear to me as well (The Fifth Element, Dark City, Split Second), but those were all things that I saw or were created later.

I guess I can see where if you were already wrapped up in structurally similar stories that you throw it into a grim future setting and it would stand out for that fact. Thus the VO might be less jarring or detrimental to the experience.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:05 (2442 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It would have been the first thing I saw visually and conceptually like it. Liking things for being striking and interesting or different is pretty common for me. Blade Runner was a stepping stone out of Fantasy (The Dark Crystal, Legend, Willow) and past the blurring into science-fantasy (Star Wars, Krull) for me. A lot of movies with obvious inspiration are pretty dear to me as well (The Fifth Element, Dark City, Split Second), but those were all things that I saw or were created later.

I guess I can see where if you were already wrapped up in structurally similar stories that you throw it into a grim future setting and it would stand out for that fact. Thus the VO might be less jarring or detrimental to the experience.

That's basically it. Blade Runner didn't have the hype associated with it that it acquired later, and I LIKE Raymond Chandler and film noir movies and did before I saw Blade Runner. The V.O. didn't seem so problematic--it seemed true to the source material--by that I mean film noir, not Philip K. Dick, which I'm ashamed to say I haven't read.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:22 (2442 days ago) @ Kermit

Philip K. Dick, which I'm ashamed to say I haven't read.

Bro. Dick is a master at taking a small premise, applying it to an entire universe, and then telling a story about the human condition which uses that premise as a backdrop. Let me start you off easy, and I'll work you up to the truly high concept pieces:

- The Man in the High Castle. This is Dick's award winning novel about what the USA would be like if the Nazis won. Some will call it his best work, but I argue that it may actually be his lowest-concept and most accessible novel.

- The World Jones Made. Higher concept about a psychic who, much like Vonnegut's main character from Slaughterhouse 5, can see and remember his own future. He knows the major events of the future and is able to take actions to change them. Told from the perspective of someone who is definitely not psychic, this is presented well as a lay person's look at higher concept and serves as an excellent bridge to Dick's other work.

- We Can Build You. Androids, action, and some interesting thought-provoking bits about what makes you real. If any of these books is skippable, it would be this one, and yet it's still a fun read and sketches the outlines of some of the more dense works.

- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. This is the basis for Blade Runner, and is a more complete exploration of the themes found in We Can Build You. How do you know if you are real? How do you know if someone else is? In a world where your very job may be to know the difference, and you fear you're only good at your job because you don't know about yourself, how do you go on with the day to day drudgery of simply existing?

- Galactic Pot Healer. God I love this novel. It may have the second most perfect ending of any book I've ever read (China Mieville's 'Iron Council' is my favorite by a wide margin). This is a less than serious romp through a universe which contains, among other things, an immortal blob-god whom the main character joins forces with purely because the main character is in love with a hot chick who also joins forces with the blob-god. Did I mention that the ending is perfect? It's PERFECT.

- Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said. My favorite Dick. A well known and popular TV host wakes up in a world where he no longer exists. How, why, and what happened to him are the main plot drivers, but the world is also a darker one than ours where racism and fascism have taken the lead and cynicism and escapism have become the gods to which people pray. It resonates with me more today than the day I first read it. Seriously just thinking about this book right now is bringing tears to my eyes.

The Sirens of Titan, A Maze of Death... There are so many other brilliant novels this man put forth into our world. Do yourself a kindness and read him. No one I've ever read has been able to deliver such brilliantly simple and human feelings through such complicated and conceptual worlds and situations.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 14:11 (2442 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Bro. Dick is a master at taking a small premise, applying it to an entire universe, and then telling a story about the human condition which uses that premise as a backdrop. Let me start you off easy, and I'll work you up to the truly high concept pieces:

- The Man in the High Castle. This is Dick's award winning novel about what the USA would be like if the Nazis won. Some will call it his best work, but I argue that it may actually be his lowest-concept and most accessible novel.

- The World Jones Made. Higher concept about a psychic who, much like Vonnegut's main character from Slaughterhouse 5, can see and remember his own future. He knows the major events of the future and is able to take actions to change them. Told from the perspective of someone who is definitely not psychic, this is presented well as a lay person's look at higher concept and serves as an excellent bridge to Dick's other work.

- We Can Build You. Androids, action, and some interesting thought-provoking bits about what makes you real. If any of these books is skippable, it would be this one, and yet it's still a fun read and sketches the outlines of some of the more dense works.

- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. This is the basis for Blade Runner, and is a more complete exploration of the themes found in We Can Build You. How do you know if you are real? How do you know if someone else is? In a world where your very job may be to know the difference, and you fear you're only good at your job because you don't know about yourself, how do you go on with the day to day drudgery of simply existing?

- Galactic Pot Healer. God I love this novel. It may have the second most perfect ending of any book I've ever read (China Mieville's 'Iron Council' is my favorite by a wide margin). This is a less than serious romp through a universe which contains, among other things, an immortal blob-god whom the main character joins forces with purely because the main character is in love with a hot chick who also joins forces with the blob-god. Did I mention that the ending is perfect? It's PERFECT.

- Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said. My favorite Dick. A well known and popular TV host wakes up in a world where he no longer exists. How, why, and what happened to him are the main plot drivers, but the world is also a darker one than ours where racism and fascism have taken the lead and cynicism and escapism have become the gods to which people pray. It resonates with me more today than the day I first read it. Seriously just thinking about this book right now is bringing tears to my eyes.

The Sirens of Titan, A Maze of Death... There are so many other brilliant novels this man put forth into our world. Do yourself a kindness and read him. No one I've ever read has been able to deliver such brilliantly simple and human feelings through such complicated and conceptual worlds and situations.

Heh - this is a pretty interesting read, and I thank you for it.

I'm always intrigued when someone whose opinions I respect has a wildly differing viewpoint than I do. And when it comes to Dick, we differ. Pretty wildly. ;)

When I was younger, and more arrogant, I used to hold forth on subjects near and dear to my heart; close friends certainly got tired of my ranting. Science Fiction was one of those subjects. And one of my favorite SF rants was about hard sf, and the changes it went through in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Dick was my poster child for the 'old-style' hard sf writer: absolutely brilliant ideas, wrapped in mediocre (at best) writing. It didn't matter, really, that the writing sucked - because the concepts were so mind-blowing.

Larry Niven (in my mind) was the prototype for change. The science was still fantastic, but the writing was so much better. (I look back at early Niven these days, and I think that I overestimated his writing abilities - but again, the ideas were so good that the writing could be given a pass.)

It was really the next generation - Zelazny, Gene Wolfe, Frank Herbert, maybe even folks like David Brin - that really married good writing with great ideas, and tied it all up with solid science. (There are people I consider better today - Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds - but they're decades later, and have benefitted greatly from the lessons of those who came before them.)

I'm not sure I would be quite as sure of myself as I was back then... but the fact remains, I STILL feel like Dick's writing is amateurish, and I STILL don't care because he had more (and better) ideas than hundreds of other writers combined.

So: while I'll agree with a lot of what you wrote up there... I can't help but remember how I held his writing (the actual writing, not the impression that writing made on me) in contempt for much of my youth. :)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 17:13 (2441 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh - this is a pretty interesting read, and I thank you for it.

I'm always intrigued when someone whose opinions I respect has a wildly differing viewpoint than I do. And when it comes to Dick, we differ. Pretty wildly. ;)

When I was younger, and more arrogant, I used to hold forth on subjects near and dear to my heart; close friends certainly got tired of my ranting. Science Fiction was one of those subjects. And one of my favorite SF rants was about hard sf, and the changes it went through in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Dick was my poster child for the 'old-style' hard sf writer: absolutely brilliant ideas, wrapped in mediocre (at best) writing. It didn't matter, really, that the writing sucked - because the concepts were so mind-blowing.

Larry Niven (in my mind) was the prototype for change. The science was still fantastic, but the writing was so much better. (I look back at early Niven these days, and I think that I overestimated his writing abilities - but again, the ideas were so good that the writing could be given a pass.)

It was really the next generation - Zelazny, Gene Wolfe, Frank Herbert, maybe even folks like David Brin - that really married good writing with great ideas, and tied it all up with solid science. (There are people I consider better today - Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds - but they're decades later, and have benefitted greatly from the lessons of those who came before them.)

I'm not sure I would be quite as sure of myself as I was back then... but the fact remains, I STILL feel like Dick's writing is amateurish, and I STILL don't care because he had more (and better) ideas than hundreds of other writers combined.

So: while I'll agree with a lot of what you wrote up there... I can't help but remember how I held his writing (the actual writing, not the impression that writing made on me) in contempt for much of my youth. :)

Huh, cool. And thank you for the compliment :) /blush.

I will say that while Dick holds a near and dear place in my heart, my current reading list is China Mieville, Alastair Reynolds, and Neal Stephenson. For some reason I never truly enjoyed Zelazny or Wolfe. Not sure why. I just got bored with their books. I love Brin, though. Did you know Brin invented the term, "meme," as an idea that takes a life of its own, like some kind of thought virus? Way back in 1989, no less. link!. Oh yeah, Dan Simmons' sci-fi is tops, too. Sort of a bridge from Asimov to the darker, more horrific sci fi of mieville and reynolds.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 21:08 (2441 days ago) @ Kahzgul

TIL, thanks!

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 14:50 (2441 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 20:18 (2441 days ago) @ Claude Errera

But without him, we wouldn't have Total Recall, the greatest action film of all time.

What a great movie.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 21:08 (2441 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 00:27 (2441 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I really, really want to disagree with you. But while I can provide many solid alternatives I'm not sure I would fully agree to them as better myself.

You forgot Ubik. Don't forget Ubik.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 15:45 (2442 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 17:15 (2441 days ago) @ Harmanimus

You know, I own that one and I remember liking it, but I don't remember a damn thing about it.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 00:23 (2441 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I actually always have the damnedesttime keeping it in my head. But it is one of those that leaves an impression.

Vonnegut wrote Sirens of Titan

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 15:49 (2442 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Right you are, my mistake!

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 17:14 (2441 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:08 (2442 days ago) @ Harmanimus

That's a totally fair opinion.

For me, while I agree that the VO isn't ideal, though I do really love noir films and the nod to the genre is something I appreciate. More than anything else, I find the pacing of the original to be more even than the director's cuts. It also seems to me that the VO is solving a problem of them having not actually shot footage to support some of the things that need clarity in the film. Ideally, VO is about describing the inner monologue of the speaker, but in Blade Runner it definitely tells what's going on in a few places (instead of showing, which is what a movie should do). It's clumsy, but - again - I'm pretty sure it was because they simply didn't shoot what they needed and VO was their cheap way out.

In general, I find the first film visually stunning, but generally I think it missed the mark. For being as groundbreaking as it was at the time, not living up to modern sci-fi standards is quite acceptable to me and I very quickly excuse the film for any of its attempts to appeal to a wider and less-savvy movie going audience.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 15:50 (2442 days ago) @ Kahzgul

It's clumsy because it wasn't core to the actual artisitc vision. It was a conceit to the studio and Ford's opposition to it is why he attempted to make the VO as poor as he possibly could. I think the ambiguity and not attempting to fill in all the gaps is part of its strengths and longevity comes from that.

Not sure what mark you are suggesting the movie, missed, though.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 17:15 (2441 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It's clumsy because it wasn't core to the actual artisitc vision. It was a conceit to the studio and Ford's opposition to it is why he attempted to make the VO as poor as he possibly could. I think the ambiguity and not attempting to fill in all the gaps is part of its strengths and longevity comes from that.

Well, yes.

Not sure what mark you are suggesting the movie, missed, though.

I think it misses the mark set by the novel. It's been some time since I read the book, so excuse me if I can't cite specifics, but I recall that my sense of the film was "that was neat, but it wasn't really the same message as the book."

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 00:22 (2441 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I will totally give you that the movie takes the general setting, tone, and many of the ideas but chooses to handle it pretty differently. Which is preferable is definitely a case of your mileage may vary.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 06:38 (2442 days ago) @ Funkmon

The theatrical version is fine if you want a hard-boiled detective story set in the future. The director's cut has more ambiguity, and is more of a sci-fi art house film. Big fans tend to prefer it, especially because it makes it easier to imbue the film with (perhaps not quite warranted?) deep philosophical significance. As far as I can tell, the final cut is the same as the director's cut with some color adjustments.

By the way, the new film is a bit of both, and may even be a better film, but it almost requires seeing the first one first. On some level it can never be better, though, because it can't have the impact of being first. I implore anyone who cares about science fiction on film to see both on as big a screen as they can find. Visually and aurally, they're both amazing.

IMHO, the big impact of Blade Runner is the world building. It showed us a future that was believable and tangible, and the impact of its visuals has been substantial. Perhaps with the exception of CRTs being everywhere, it still doesn't seem dated, which is amazing. That's almost besides the point, though. It's 2017, so Blade Runner is obviously not realistic given the timeline, yet the alternative future it presents still rings true.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 09:37 (2442 days ago) @ Kermit

IMHO, the big impact of Blade Runner is the world building. It showed us a future that was believable and tangible, and the impact of its visuals has been substantial. Perhaps with the exception of CRTs being everywhere, it still doesn't seem dated, which is amazing. That's almost besides the point, though. It's 2017, so Blade Runner is obviously not realistic given the timeline, yet the alternative future it presents still rings true.

I’ve noticed a lot of 80s and 90s films in near and far future settings littered with already dated technologies for our own time. Blade Runner is no exception and it really shows. That’s not a mark against it at all. On the contrary, I adore the atmosphere such props and set dressings it offers. Makes the world feel lived-in as a flawless progression from our time to theirs. Another fantastic example is the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, yet that was a conscious decision and not really all they were left to scrounge for with the budget.

Final Cut. (no VO, no epilogue)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 19:12 (2441 days ago) @ Kermit

The theatrical version is fine if you want a hard-boiled detective story set in the future. The director's cut has more ambiguity, and is more of a sci-fi art house film. Big fans tend to prefer it, especially because it makes it easier to imbue the film with (perhaps not quite warranted?) deep philosophical significance. As far as I can tell, the final cut is the same as the director's cut with some color adjustments.

Not just that. Also has restored dream sequence footage not seen in any other version and is pivotal to interpreting the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner

Even the best available version of the film is not as deep as its most ardent fans would have it-- and it shares that with the sequel, I think.

The theatrical release is not only trite and clumsy, it is insignificant and utterly devoid of meaning. It's not even a particularly good detective story, as nearly the entirety of Deckard's detective work consists of a nonsensical "zoom and enhance" sequence done ON A POLAROID that would eventually morph into the BS that infected TV police procedurals for the next three decades, and a cute bit where he pretends to be a nerdy guy trying to harass an exotic dancer by pretending to be looking for people trying to harass exotic dancers.

The epilogue I'm pretty sure will give you cancer.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 19:16 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen

Not just that. Also has restored dream sequence footage not seen in any other version and is pivotal to interpreting the film.

It's a fucking stupid interpretation. Deckard being a replicant ruins so much of the theme. This is why the workprint is the best version: no narration, no happy ending, and no stupid dream sequence.

Also if you look closely at Blade Runner 2049, this interpretation is proven false. Deckard is human.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 19:24 (2441 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's a fucking stupid interpretation. Deckard being a replicant ruins so much of the theme. This is why the workprint is the best version: no narration, no happy ending, and no stupid dream sequence.

It doesn't ruin the theme, it goddamn enables it. Without this fact the film HAS no theme.

Also if you look closely at Blade Runner 2049, this interpretation is proven false. Deckard is human.

False.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 20:00 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 20:08

False.

True. Look closer.

The whole point of Batty sparing Deckard was to show him that he does in fact have a soul. If Deckard were a replicant, 1. Batty would know, and 2. he would have no reason to do this. That is the point of the film: replicants have souls.

Tears in the rain wasn't even in the script. Rutger Hauer understood the film better than anyone else working on it.

So is he or isn't he?

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 21:05 (2441 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is it still up for grabs?

Who can say?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 00:34 (2441 days ago) @ Funkmon

Yes. Those who hold either belief can find confirmation in the sequel if they are looking for it. Nobody ever comes out point-blank and asks the question, and nobody ever makes a definitive statement on the matter.

Who can say?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 08:56 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen

Yes. Those who hold either belief can find confirmation in the sequel if they are looking for it. Nobody ever comes out point-blank and asks the question, and nobody ever makes a definitive statement on the matter.

The credits are the giveaway.

The actors who play replicants have their names flicker in with an effect, while the actors who play humans have heir names appear solid. Harrison Ford’s name? Solid.

Ford Galaxy 500

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, October 15, 2017, 18:51 (2437 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The credits are the giveaway.

The actors who play replicants have their names flicker in with an effect, while the actors who play humans have heir names appear solid. Harrison Ford’s name? Solid.

Ford has pushed the Deckard-is-human angle since the original film was released. I would not be surprised if his participation, which the studio probably considered non-negotiable, was contingent on at least minimal support for this interpretation.

Still up for grabs.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 00:44 (2441 days ago) @ Funkmon

From the root philosophical questions the film asks it only truly works if you accept that he can be either and that it is actually not important either way.

Slightly inverted

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, October 15, 2017, 18:53 (2437 days ago) @ Harmanimus

From the root philosophical questions the film asks it only truly works if you accept that he can be either and that it is actually not important either way.

I substantially agree although I'd phrase it perhaps a little differently.

I'd perhaps say that humanity is a characteristic not necessarily granted to each member of homo sapiens at birth, nor necessarily denied any self-aware intelligence not born a member of homo sapiens.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 00:33 (2441 days ago) @ Cody Miller

False.

True. Look closer.

The whole point of Batty sparing Deckard was to show him that he does in fact have a soul. If Deckard were a replicant, 1. Batty would know, and 2. he would have no reason to do this. That is the point of the film: replicants have souls.

That does not follow at all.

Batty sparing Deckard proves to the audience and himself that he has a "soul" or possesses humanity-- however one would like to phrase it. It is no less important to demonstrate this whether or not Deckard is a replicant. Deckard is no less (or no more) worthy of mercy whether he is replicant or human-- especially if the point is that replicants possess humanity.

At that point in the film, Deckard still has presumed humanity because he's functioning as the audience surrogate. We presume his humanity because we presume our own, and it would make sense for Batty to presume it as well. There's no particular reason to presume that Batty would recognize him as a replicant or even think much of it if he did-- Deckard is a police officer hunting him and is an opponent who has killed his compatriots, regardless of his nature.

In fact, Batty's banter with Deckard during the fight is just as on point and relevant if not more so if Batty is aware of what Deckard is-- a replicant, like Rachel, that is unaware of its nature and presumes its own humanity. Batty is forcing him to appreciate something that he has taken for granted. That's the first phase of what the film is saying.

The next step is removing the presumption. Like Batty sparing Deckard, Gaff spares Rachel-- the first meaning of the origami unicorn is that Gaff could have apprehended Rachel, but chose not to. The second part is-- why a unicorn and not something different? To illustrate that Gaff knows Deckard is also a replicant, one just like Rachel.

Batty sparing Deckard demonstrates that those we seek to define as other may in fact possess the quality we refer to as humanity.

Deckard being a replicant demonstrates that just because you presume you have humanity by virtue of your nature, you may not.

Tears in the rain wasn't even in the script. Rutger Hauer understood the film better than anyone else working on it.

Or he just thought it sounded cool, and the entire thing is greater than the sum of its parts, which is often the case.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 09:05 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen

Roy doesn’t know the audience is watching! He’s not trying to demonstrate this to US, but to someone who is human. This display of his humanity completely goes to waste if Deckard isn’t human. He doesn’t need to prove this to a replicant, because they’d be like, duh dude.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 12:28 (2441 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think this isnplacing too much value on the suggestion that Deckard needs to be human for the story to make sense. Roy was designed as a tool of war, Deckard is an opponent. It does not matter of what make, he is showing mercy to an enemy which is both proof to himself that he is more than what he was made for and to show Deckard. It does not require Deckard to be human or a replicant for Roy's actions to matter.

My take (long, SPOILERS)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, October 16, 2017, 18:05 (2436 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by narcogen, Monday, October 16, 2017, 18:09

Roy doesn’t know the audience is watching! He’s not trying to demonstrate this to US, but to someone who is human. This display of his humanity completely goes to waste if Deckard isn’t human. He doesn’t need to prove this to a replicant, because they’d be like, duh dude.

Roy is a fictional construct acting as an author insert, just as Deckard is a fictional construct functioning as an audience proxy.

A character doesn't need to comically break the fourth wall in order to function that way, or to act in a way that is symbolic.

I honestly doubt Roy wants or needs to "prove" anything to Deckard. I think he believes what he believes, and is being threatened by someone who clearly believes differently-- as the entire system does.

I think my interpretation is pretty similar to yours right up until the end, and differs from Kermit's. You can only get from any work what you agree to take from it, and all he was interested in taking from it was a stylish noir-styled detective yarn. I agree that the style is excellent and something in many ways the sequel absolutely fails to match, but as a detective story it's thoroughly mediocre, and taken as a whole in this view is insignificant except for its visuals (which are obviously very significant).

Ford and others pushing the Deckard-as-human narrative, as I understand it, need and want the confrontation that occurs in the climax to be between a human and a replicant so, as you put it, Batty can "prove" to the human Deckard, and through him the audience, that the distinction set up in the early part of the film, starting with the text crawl, is a false and arbitrary one; to reveal replicants as human slaves rather than glorified toasters.

Where I differ is that I think this interpretation works just as well if Deckard isn't actually human, right up until past the Batty fight, where the human audience just presumes Deckard is human-- despite no one ever actually saying so.

So the first portion of the film sets up what everybody believes-- that there are humans and there are replicants, and that the distinction is real and meaningful even if making the distinction is arbitrarily difficult. It's the perfect setup allowing a society to dehumanize any groups or individuals it wants for any reason-- see, these things *look* human but really aren't because of some secret information produced by experts on the subject and we should just trust them.

So I think the climactic fight where Batty demonstrates his humanity functions just as well-- Deckard presumes his own humanity, because why wouldn't he, and we do too. So we see it as the confrontation between replicant and human where the replicant asserts his humanity.

I just add another layer onto that which I don't think in any way detracts from the previous one, where Deckard's presumed humanity is brought into question. The thing is, though, that it's been in question for almost the entire film, along with the very basis for making the distinction between humans and replicants in the first place!

We're told that distinguishing replicants from humans is so difficult that you need specially-trained operators using specialty equipment in order to make this distinction. But we NEVER actually see it work successfully; in fact we might be forgiven from concluding that it does not, and perhaps never has, worked.

The test supposedly looks for an absence of emotional reaction to content that is expected to produce an emotional reaction. (The film's obsession with emotions as evidence of humanity I abhor, but this is the film's premise so I have to roll with it in order to discuss.) Ford's predecessor is doing the V-K test to Tyrell employees when he runs into Leon. When asked about his mother, Leon shoots the interrogator.

One interpretation of that is Leon knows the test is going to find him, and so he uses violence to escape.

Another would be that Leon has had a violently emotional response. In fact, Leon and most of the replicants throughout the film emote more strongly than the presumed human characters! Leon displays actual glee in doing violence to Deckard. Batty displays sadness over the corpse of Pris. Pris and Batty display fear about what will happen to them after Zhora and Leon are killed.

Deckard, mostly, stares into space with a flat expression.

So anyway...

Then we get Deckard going to Tyrell and doing the VK test on Rachel. Rachel asks if Deckard has ever retired a human by mistake. She asks if Deckard has ever taken the VK test himself. Interesting.

I don't just think that it's being questioned that Deckard is human or not. I think it's being questioned whether he would pass the VK test whether he was biologically human or not.

Deckard ultimately concludes that Rachel is a replicant, but claims it was difficult to make the determination. However, he was operating under the assumption that Rachel was human. If he had been told in advance she was a replicant, he might have made the judgment more quickly and easily-- the film does not really give us much (if any) insight into how automatic the test is-- after all, it is administered by a (presumed) human operator and does not function automatically, so it's not hard to imagine that a judgment call is involved-- one that could be influenced by the tester's state of mind.

So that's two replicants who underwent the test; one who ended it with a violent and emotional reaction before it was finished, and another that very nearly escaped detection, either because of changes in her answers caused by the memory implants Tyrell gave her, or simply because Tyrell influenced the test by telling Deckard that Rachel was human.

At this point the integrity of the VK test rests entirely on the credibility of the text crawl. We have never seen an unambiguous example of it operating as advertised, and it is the only explicitly referenced method of distinguishing human from replicant within the text. Even the description of its method of operation is questionable, as every single replicant in the film behaves contrary to the assumptions on which the VK test is based.

To sum up-- I think the portion of the film where Deckard's humanity is presumed to exist is there to make the point you are focusing on-- that either replicants are, or at the very least are capable of demonstrating the qualities we describe as justifying calling a self-aware intelligence "human".

The last reveal-- the idea that Deckard's memories might be false, and that he might be like Rachel, a replicant that was unaware of its nature, is there to make you question whether or not the humanity you have is real or presumed-- because as we've just seen, those born homo sapiens are just presumed to have it, and those created replicant apparently have to earn it.

So I guess the question I have is this: if humanity needs to be earned, did Deckard earn his?

My take (long, SPOILERS)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 16, 2017, 18:37 (2436 days ago) @ narcogen

I honestly doubt Roy wants or needs to "prove" anything to Deckard. I think he believes what he believes, and is being threatened by someone who clearly believes differently-- as the entire system does.

That's literally why he goes after him but does not finish him off… otherwise he'd have just let him drop. Roy could have gone out in a more public manner, with more of a flash as per what Tyrell says. But he didn't.

I think my interpretation is pretty similar to yours right up until the end, and differs from Kermit's. You can only get from any work what you agree to take from it, and all he was interested in taking from it was a stylish noir-styled detective yarn. I agree that the style is excellent and something in many ways the sequel absolutely fails to match, but as a detective story it's thoroughly mediocre, and taken as a whole in this view is insignificant except for its visuals (which are obviously very significant).

Yes I agree. In fact I've always felt the style is really all the film has going for it.

Where I differ is that I think this interpretation works just as well if Deckard isn't actually human, right up until past the Batty fight, where the human audience just presumes Deckard is human-- despite no one ever actually saying so.

That's true, but it'd be a boring movie if to satisfy the theme you just watch a guy doing normal stuff for two hours, then say see! He's actually a replicant and not a human. Shame on you audience for thinking so!

So the first portion of the film sets up what everybody believes-- that there are humans and there are replicants, and that the distinction is real and meaningful even if making the distinction is arbitrarily difficult. It's the perfect setup allowing a society to dehumanize any groups or individuals it wants for any reason

Let's look at the sequel and see how a replicant Deckard ruins that theme as well. If he's a replicant, that means replicants and humans cannot reproduce together. Only within their own. This gives a pretty bright line as to their status as 'human', and provides a perfect justification to seeing them as the 'other'. But if they can interbreed? Now that throws a wrench into things.

I don't just think that it's being questioned that Deckard is human or not. I think it's being questioned whether he would pass the VK test whether he was biologically human or not.

How do you find Nazi replicants? Run the Mein-Kampff test on them.

My take (long, SPOILERS)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 17:25 (2435 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's true, but it'd be a boring movie if to satisfy the theme you just watch a guy doing normal stuff for two hours, then say see! He's actually a replicant and not a human. Shame on you audience for thinking so!

True, but I'm not sure why you're saying it? I'm not saying that everything up to that point is meaningless or unnecessary, or that the revelation undermines anything else. It's more that knowing about it in advance would undermine the revelation in the end.

So the first portion of the film sets up what everybody believes-- that there are humans and there are replicants, and that the distinction is real and meaningful even if making the distinction is arbitrarily difficult. It's the perfect setup allowing a society to dehumanize any groups or individuals it wants for any reason

Let's look at the sequel and see how a replicant Deckard ruins that theme as well.

Already addressed that. Ford is known to adamantly support the "Deckard is human" interpretation and likely his involvement was contingent on supporting this idea in the sequel. There's also the practical matter of whether or not replicants age. So for this purpose I'm considering only the original.

If he's a replicant, that means replicants and humans cannot reproduce together. Only within their own.

That's faulty logic. Just because replicants CAN reproduce doesn't mean they can't interbreed. Frankly, the new film's focus on this I find to be deeply stupid, and it barely makes sense with what we do know about replicants.

Replicants aren't robots or cyborgs. They aren't crude facsimiles of humans fashioned by advanced materials science. They are genetically engineered beings. Their DNA is human DNA-- modified to allow for the desired characteristics. They're more like modified clones than anything else, then speed-grown in an artificial womb. (Also interesting to note that DV wants to do Dune next, although I doubt he'll be able to get near the parts of the story that relate to this topic.)

It seems to be a popular myth that clones are sterile, and now they've made this part of the distinction between replicants and humans, just in time to make it a big issue that it's not a distinction anymore. In reality, the bigger challenge would probably be a Monsanto-like decision to attempt to PREVENT replicants from reproducing. Think about it. If Tyrell was selling docile, sexually mature, reproductivity-capable adult replicants, everybody would buy 2 and just order them to make more. It honestly makes you wonder why the bowels of the company isn't filled with Axlotl tanks instead of plastic bags... if you get my drift. THAT would be a real and brave investigation of a horrific possible future.

Anyway. The idea that the company WANTS this capability and has been trying and failing to recreate it doesn't make much sense. It'd be more sensible for them to want the opposite, because free range replicants hurt their profits. This would also give the rebels and the company guys conflicting purposes-- instead I was wondering at the end why they didn't just join forces, because apparently they want the same thing. The substance of their conflict is over control, not the actual goal.

>This gives a pretty bright line as to their status as 'human', and provides a perfect justification to seeing them as the 'other'. But if they can interbreed? Now that throws a wrench into things.

Only if you have a really stupid and twisted idea of what "human" is. There don't happen to be any extant intelligent humanoid species on Earth (at least, not one roughly equivalent to homo sapiens) but I often wonder what the world would be like if there was. What you're saying is that people wouldn't recognize their "humanity" because they are a distinct species. That's pretty terrifying and worthy of its own dystopian film, but I don't think it's the point being made in either the sequel or the original.

I also don't think that Deckard and Rachel escape society in the end of the first one in order to reproduce. That's a new theme, I think mistakenly introduced in the sequel that either should have been avoided or handled differently. The ability to control reproduction would certainly be of political importance to an oppressed group-- fer crissakes THAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW-- but it's not a necessity to either earn or prove "humanity".

How do you find Nazi replicants? Run the Mein-Kampff test on them.

Ugh.

My take (long, SPOILERS)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 18:02 (2435 days ago) @ narcogen

Only if you have a really stupid and twisted idea of what "human" is. There don't happen to be any extant intelligent humanoid species on Earth (at least, not one roughly equivalent to homo sapiens) but I often wonder what the world would be like if there was.

You don't have to imagine: this was the Earth thousands of years ago. Homo Neanderthalensis and Homo Sapien were alive at the same time.

And there's evidence that we basically killed them all.

My take (long, SPOILERS)

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 21:46 (2435 days ago) @ narcogen

We're told that distinguishing replicants from humans is so difficult that you need specially-trained operators using specialty equipment in order to make this distinction. But we NEVER actually see it work successfully; in fact we might be forgiven from concluding that it does not, and perhaps never has, worked.

The test supposedly looks for an absence of emotional reaction to content that is expected to produce an emotional reaction. (The film's obsession with emotions as evidence of humanity I abhor, but this is the film's premise so I have to roll with it in order to discuss.) Ford's predecessor is doing the V-K test to Tyrell employees when he runs into Leon. When asked about his mother, Leon shoots the interrogator.

I’m not sure this is true. The test looks for abnormalities in emotional responses, but I don’t think it tries to prove a negative so-to-speak. This makes sense because the emotional development of the replicants is truncated and unpredictable. They only get this ability after a few years and they don’t live long enough to develop mature responses.

My take (long, SPOILERS)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 17:43 (2434 days ago) @ narcogen

I do think the style is the strongest element of the film, but just because I appreciate the film noir aspects of it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the philosophical questions the movie raises, which it does regardless of what Deckard is or isn't. I think some of the anti-V.O. sentiment comes from a bias against the detective genre (as if that genre isn't substantial enough to handle existential questions), but just as the film combines visual elements in ways that hadn't been done, it was also, from the start, a genre-bender, taking bits of this and that to make its own stew. Pondering the "is he or isn't he?" question has been a fun pastime for fans for many years, and makes the original film more interesting. My favorite line from the new film renders the question moot: "I know what's real," Deckard says. The implication is clear. If he's a replicant, his life is real to him, and if he is human, Rachel's life was real to him regardless. The question of what either of them are is irrelevant.

This reminded me...

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 12:48 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen

...of one of the little things in BR that bugged me.

Batty breaks Deckard's fingers in retaliation for those of his partners that Deckard kills - Pris and Zhora. He does NOT break a finger for Leon, which means 1) he's only breaking fingers for female replicants (dumb), or 2) he knows that Deckard wasn't the one who killed Leon.

If 1 is true, I'm simply disappointed. But if 2 is true... how does he know?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 22:00 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen

The unicorn scene IS in the director's cut. It may not be exactly the same as what's in the final cut, but any of it is enough to enable the theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner

Even the best available version of the film is not as deep as its most ardent fans would have it-- and it shares that with the sequel, I think.

The theatrical release is not only trite and clumsy, it is insignificant and utterly devoid of meaning. It's not even a particularly good detective story, as nearly the entirety of Deckard's detective work consists of a nonsensical "zoom and enhance" sequence done ON A POLAROID that would eventually morph into the BS that infected TV police procedurals for the next three decades, and a cute bit where he pretends to be a nerdy guy trying to harass an exotic dancer by pretending to be looking for people trying to harass exotic dancers.

The epilogue I'm pretty sure will give you cancer.

Yeah, yeah. All the cool kids think so.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 00:36 (2441 days ago) @ Kermit

The unicorn scene IS in the director's cut. It may not be exactly the same as what's in the final cut, but any of it is enough to enable the theory.

It is incomplete in a manner that allows for the dismissal of the interpretation.

That's a lousy argument.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 05:01 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen

It is incomplete in a manner that allows for the dismissal of the interpretation.

It can still be dismissed.

That's a lousy argument.

I wasn't making an argument.

Now we have light field cameras

by naturl selexion, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 03:24 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen

as nearly the entirety of Deckard's detective work consists of a nonsensical "zoom and enhance" sequence done ON A POLAROID

I HATED that scene, and pointed out it flaws frequently. It was such BS that zooming in would let him see around a corner or behind something.

Now a few decades later and we have light field cameras that actually do let you shift perspective and allow you to see behind another object. That scene has been rendered relevant, it is not an exact match with current capabilities but we are on track for that sort of thing..

+1 that stuff is super neat to learn about

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 08:27 (2441 days ago) @ naturl selexion

- No text -

I agree with the two above, but prefer the Final Cut.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 06:48 (2442 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by Korny, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 06:55

There are few differences between the Final Cut and the Director's, so they're roughly the same in terms of presentation, but I feel that the technical fixes and few bonus touches are enough to make the Final Cut the definitive version.

I think the Theatrical Cut suffers from the phoned-in voiceover with the tacky dialogue. Not just from the implementation, but the fact that it's a hand-holding storytelling tool. I get that it gives it more of a classic noire style, but I dunno, I always liked the way the Director's/Final cuts don't feel the need to explain every detail that could be left up for the viewer to infer from. Those versions seem to give more credit to the viewer, and make for better conversation, I think.

Sammy has never seen the movie, but I'm going to have her watch the Final Cut, because I feel that it leads to far better discussion than something like "in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before" would allow.

I agree with the two above, but prefer the Final Cut.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 07:23 (2442 days ago) @ Korny

There are few differences between the Final Cut and the Director's, so they're roughly the same in terms of presentation, but I feel that the technical fixes and few bonus touches are enough to make the Final Cut the definitive version.

I think the Theatrical Cut suffers from the phoned-in voiceover with the tacky dialogue. Not just from the implementation, but the fact that it's a hand-holding storytelling tool. I get that it gives it more of a classic noire style, but I dunno, I always liked the way the Director's/Final cuts don't feel the need to explain every detail that could be left up for the viewer to infer from. Those versions seem to give more credit to the viewer, and make for better conversation, I think.

Sammy has never seen the movie, but I'm going to have her watch the Final Cut, because I feel that it leads to far better discussion than something like "in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before" would allow.

I actually agree, but for many years the theatrical release was all I had, and I have a fondness for the simplicity of it. Part of the appeal of Blade Runner for me originally was that it had the veneer of a fairly typical film noir story, but there was a thought-provoking film underneath. Now the thought-provoking qualities are more center stage.

Sold. Theatrical cut it is!

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 08:17 (2442 days ago) @ Kermit

If I like it, I'll go do the other one.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:26 (2442 days ago) @ Funkmon

The biggest difference between the theatrical cut and the other two, if you discount the voiceover, is the ending. However, the new film makes that difference almost moot... so I think you're making a decent call. (The theatrical version is definitely more understandable for newcomers.)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 19:23 (2441 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The biggest difference between the theatrical cut and the other two, if you discount the voiceover, is the ending. However, the new film makes that difference almost moot... so I think you're making a decent call. (The theatrical version is definitely more understandable for newcomers.)

...sort of. Hard to discuss without bringing in spoilers for each.

For instance, I think the version without the epilogue is superior *even if I admit that all the information in it is canonically true*.

It's about the presentation; the epilogue presents things in a light too close to "they lived happily ever after" which is a big tonal shift.

There's a good parallel to be drawn between the theatrical and later releases of Brazil and Blade Runner in that respect.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 08:23 (2441 days ago) @ narcogen

...sort of. Hard to discuss without bringing in spoilers for each.

For instance, I think the version without the epilogue is superior *even if I admit that all the information in it is canonically true*.

It's about the presentation; the epilogue presents things in a light too close to "they lived happily ever after" which is a big tonal shift.

There's a good parallel to be drawn between the theatrical and later releases of Brazil and Blade Runner in that respect.

Oh no, I'm woefully behind. I don't think I've watched Brazil in years, although I count it as one of my favorite movies, and like Blade Runner, saw in the theaters twice.

How have they screwed it up? ;)

by nico, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 09:08 (2441 days ago) @ Kermit

The international theatrical release was the first one I saw. I must admit to really liking the VO, and I agree with Claude that it makes the movie more understandable.

Beyond that, I think the Final Cut is probably the closest to Scott's vision.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 08:40 (2442 days ago) @ Funkmon

The best version of Blade Runner 2049 will be the one I cut down after getting the Blu-ray :-p

The workprint prototype of the original Blade Runner is probably the best in my opinion. It’s on some collections.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread