We have 3 streams coming. A lot hasn’t yet been announced. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 11, 2017, 16:30 (2364 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think what Bungie is saying is yes, the MIDA Multi-Tool is both popular and good, but according to their data, it is also fairly balanced and is not the best or most productive gun in any category. For instance, it is not a good gun for DPS, it (and all other kinetics) aren’t anywhere near as effective at dealing with shielded PvE enemies. If it has any home, it is exclusively in the Crucible.

100% agree. I'm only discussing pvp weapon balance in my posts here. PvE is totally fine to me, and lots of fun.

But even there, I think the “problem” with the MIDA Multi-Tool is the same as it’s always been: Its sound is super distinctive making people far more aware that it was used against them, and it provides increased situational awareness. And so, it racks up a lot of Crucible kills, but not because it is impossible to deal with or overpowering. From my experience, it is good if I am on my game and getting headshots, but kinda sucks if I’m not or if I’m being bounce around with something like an auto rifle or SMG.

Distinctive stapler sound or not, the MIDA is OP in two regards: It keeps your radar active, which is a HUGE benefit, and it makes you move more quickly. It is also strong enough that, coupled with those huge boosts, it essentially dictates the meta of the game. In a 1v1 no one is moving situation, the MIDA is easily outclassed. But in the actual game it is strong enough as to define the meta, the distance at which most engagements occur, and to limit maneuvering options as the radar remains active for its users. Honestly the gun is not what kills me most of the time (Hi, uriel's gift), but it provides such a solid foundation of gameplay that you simply have to approach the game as if everyone on the other team has one.

At the end of the day, that the Destiny community is up in arms about something doesn’t always really mean much.

Agreed. I'm only seeking communication because I feel like the current pvp meta is stale and boring. If Bungie is happy with it, then I can move on to another game. If Bungie wants to change it (and I hope they do), then I'm happy to stick around and test out their changes.

These are the same people saying things like “Destiny 2 sucks because I don’t have to put in weeks of fruitless, frustrating grinding to get an exact roll on a gun I want.” That probably even makes me a little biased to evaluating things that are said to be a problem vs things that actually are. So I guess there’s that, too...

People demanding a grind frustrate me. They should be demanding gameplay that is so fun you would do it even if there were no rewards at all. D1 pvp, with all of its problems, was nuanced in a way that D2 simply isn't. Advanced movement skills aren't a thing in D2. In almost every encounter, you know right away if this is a fight you can win or if you should duck out. The game is played more by breaking cover to fire a few shots, and then deciding whether to hide and regen shields or stay out and hope the other guy doesn't hide. Pushing into the enemy gets you killed, solo flanking often gets you killed, camping in the back keeps you alive. I dislike that gameplay loop because it leads to boring games of plink plink plink hide over and over until someone makes a mistake. And the map design also favors scout rifle ranges over the other weapons, and scouts favor plinko fighting as well.

Anyway, again, I'm just asking bungie to tell us if they agree that the pvp has problems, or if they are happy with it. That's kind of all I'm after right now.

Until I hear from them, I'll be playing Fortnite, which is FRIGGIN AWESOME.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread