Thanks! (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 17, 2017, 20:08 (2360 days ago) @ Oholiab

AC II ranks very highly as one of my favorite games, but I stopped pretty shortly into Revelations, skipped III entirely, and barely finished Black Flag. Didn't touch Unity or Syndicate

This is almost exactly my experience. I’ve been hesitant to jump back into this series due to the “hit or miss” rollercoaster that I feel like it’s been on. I appreciate your review.

Assassin's Creed Origins is definitely among the best in the series. I'm more impressed by it every time I play it. I'm not sure it dethrones Assassin's Creed II as my favorite, but I honestly think it's a better game. There are things I just loved about II (the puzzles, in particular really stand out as something that made that game special--it felt unique and mystical in some way that really just worked in that game).

Origins really does give me a strong Witcher 3 vibe. I feels like a slightly lesser version of The Witcher 3. That's not entirely fair to say, and it's mostly juts because I don't think the writing is as strong or interesting in terms of dialogue and missions. Partly, I think that's just because The Witcher 3's world and lore lends itself to the style of game it is very well. Origins' setting is interesting and very well done (I never thought ancient Egypt sounded that cool as a setting for an AC game, but I was wrong), but I'm a real sucker for good fantasy.

Anyway, I'm really loving Origins. It honestly feels like more of a game changer for the series than Black Flag did. The pirate stuff in Black Flag was awesome, and I still hope to see more of it one day, but Origins really changes the underlying structure of Assassin's Creed in a way that hasn't been done since AC II.

I think a lot of folks are going to miss out on this game, just because of the baggage the series caries with it and just the insane number of excellent games this year. It's a real shame, because Origins is really good.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread