Raid Lair Encounter #1 Strategy *SPOILERS* (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 06:36 (2387 days ago)

My blind team attempted the raid last night so I thought I'd post our strategy for the first encounter since we completed it. Please do not post anything about encounters beyond the first one since we haven't yet completed the second one and I want to keep that experience as blind as possible. Once we've completed the second encounter I'll post our strategy for that one.

There are 5 parts to the first encounter. 4 jumping sections and 1 easy fight at the end. In the jumping sections, you cannot have more than one person on the same platform without causing all platforms to drop (with some delay, though I'm guessing that delay will be gone in the prestige mode version). If at least one player makes it to the "rest area" after a section, then waiting just a bit will bring up all the platforms for the remaining players to trivially jump across.

For the first section we just used "follow the leader" where you only jump to the next platform when the person in front of you has jumped away from their platform.

The second section works this way as well, but you have to split the group into two lines.

I don't actually remember how we finished the third section, but I think you should have the last person start jumping when the split at the back occurs and have half the line follow the split and the other half continue forward.

For the final jumping section we just reverted to our simple "follow the leader" rule. There are some longer jumps where you jump over someone else but just a little bit of care to avoid running into one another seemed sufficient.

We found it important to take 1 or 2 shots per player at the adds when they spawn to avoid anyone being sniped, but you can't delay too long or the back of the line might start falling into the water.

We didn't do anything special during the fight at the end - just shoot everything until it's all dead.

Anything we missed? Refinements that worked better for your team? Did you do something completely different?

Raid Lair Encounter #1 Strategy *SPOILERS*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 06:46 (2387 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

On the final jumping section our team decided that jumping over each other was bad (Warlocks, am I rite?) and instead we continue to pull someone forward which draws the next couple of people behind them forward which frees up a safe space for the person whose platform turned red. It's a bit on the fly, but it works.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 06:50 (2387 days ago) @ Ragashingo

On the final jumping section our team decided that jumping over each other was bad (Warlocks, am I rite?) and instead we continue to pull someone forward which draws the next couple of people behind them forward which frees up a safe space for the person whose platform turned red. It's a bit on the fly, but it works.

Yeah, we tried that but our group got confused so we decided follow the leader was best there. To avoid people jumping into one another, you could have everyone jump on the right side of the platform (facing their next platform) instead of sticking strictly to the middle to keep a bit of space between players.

Now that I think about it, we might not have had a single warlock in our group. No wonder we didn't have any trouble. :P

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 07:43 (2387 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Yeah, we tried that but our group got confused so we decided follow the leader was best there. To avoid people jumping into one another, you could have everyone jump on the right side of the platform (facing their next platform) instead of sticking strictly to the middle to keep a bit of space between players.

Now that I think about it, we might not have had a single warlock in our group. No wonder we didn't have any trouble. :P

We are a bunch of troublemakers. lol

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 07:14 (2387 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I don't actually remember how we finished the third section, but I think you should have the last person start jumping when the split at the back occurs and have half the line follow the split and the other half continue forward.

For this, when the split occurred, we made the last three split, so the fourth person in line led the way. The reason for this was to keep the "head" and "tail" intact.

Also, there were several times where multiple people made it to the next platform but we still "failed" I'm assuming to succeed you have to get to the last platform and then have all the platforms turn red at once. That, I believe, signifies that you passed the test. As well as the big platform chaining it's ring color (I think it's a ring)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 09:21 (2387 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

For this, when the split occurred, we made the last three split, so the fourth person in line led the way. The reason for this was to keep the "head" and "tail" intact.

I think if we had kept failing this section we probably would have ended up doing it like this.

Also, there were several times where multiple people made it to the next platform but we still "failed" I'm assuming to succeed you have to get to the last platform and then have all the platforms turn red at once. That, I believe, signifies that you passed the test. As well as the big platform chaining it's ring color (I think it's a ring)

This is probably correct, I don't think we had anyone reach the platform without having all of the platforms turn red. As soon as all of the platforms turn red it seems like you can/should just sprint for the safe area so you don't end up sinking and having to jump back across.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 09:22 (2387 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r
edited by Chappy, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 09:25

The rules of the encounter appear to be:

Plates will rise and fall to create a jumping path to a "safe zone". If at least one guardian activates all plates along the way, the "reactor temperature rises" and all plates in the current section will shortly rise to create a permanent path. There are 4 path sections.

• Each section starts with a single plate
  • If two people stand on any plate at the same time, it will deactivate
  • Adding a guardian to the existing plate(s) spawns a new plate, up to a maximum of 6 plates (7 if you count the new one that appears as the last one is deactivating)
  • After all 6 guardians are on the path, the last guardian's plate will begin to deactivate (it turns red, and then falls into the water a few seconds later).

In the initial sections, it's easy to play "follow the leader" - the leader hops onto each new plate as it appears, and the train of guardians behind him each jump to the plate ahead of them in a fixed order. The jumps don't need to be simultaneous, but they should be close - the guardian at the end of the train will almost constantly be on a plate that's about to disappear.

The initial section is a single-file line of jumps.

The second section creates two paths that converge.

The third and fourth sections get a bit more complicated - the paths are not necessarily linear and there can be a lot of confusion about who is jumping where. It's at this point that you may want to change to a "leapfrog" strategy - the person at the end of the chain (whose plate is disappearing) jumps to the new plate while everyone else stays put. Everyone else can focus on enemies (and identifying where the new plate is). If the person in the rear doesn't think they can make a single jump to the new plate, they can call out the name of a guardian along the way - that person then jumps to the newest plate and leaves a place for the original jumper to land safely.

The forth section begins and ends linearly, so you may want to switch between the "follow the leader" and "leapfrog" strategies accordingly.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 09:27 (2387 days ago) @ Chappy

The third and fourth sections get a bit more complicated - the paths are not necessarily linear and there can be a lot of confusion about who is jumping where. It's at this point that you may want to change to a "leapfrog" strategy - the person at the end of the chain (whose plate is disappearing) jumps to the new plate while everyone else stays put. Everyone else can focus on enemies (and identifying where the new plate is). If the person in the rear doesn't think they can make a single jump to the new plate, they can call out the name of a guardian along the way - that person then jumps to the newest plate and leaves a place for the original jumper to land safely.

I dub this, the "popcorn" strategy since the person on the red platform gets to choose someone else to move. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread