Raid Lair Encounter #2 Strategy *SPOILERS* (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, December 14, 2017, 10:01 (2386 days ago)

How the encounter seems to work:

• Picking up the first Vex Cranium begins the encounter.
  • Quantum Mines spawn in at a regular cadence in clockwise order from wherever they first spawn
  • Quantum Mines have a random set of elements needed to destroy them (possibly a limit for the total number of each element?)
  • There are three elemental sections with an Altar of three flames in a triangular shape in each section.
  • Depositing a Vex Cranium in one of the Altars will charge that cranium with the element represented in that section.
  • Each Altar flame can only charge a single cranium.
  • Vex Craniums take a little while to charge (10 seconds?)
  • Picking up a charged Vex Cranium allows you to shoot a beam of elemental energy to destroy a mine.
  • A single Vex Cranium can be used to kill at most 2 mines if no energy is wasted, typically you can only kill one mine.
  • Charging a Vex Cranium causes a Minotaur to appear in that section.
  • There are at most 6 Vex Craniums available at any given time.
  • Craniums can be used to kill adds pretty quickly because they do quite a bit of damage.

We tried a few different strategies. At first, we brought two Vex Craniums to each Altar, but the random nature of the mine elements means you could get three of a single element at which point you'd end up wiping because you won't have enough charged Vex Craniums to prevent a wipe. Next, we tried splitting the team into two roles - runners who are responsible for acquiring and charging the Vex Craniums, and defenders whose job was to call out the next set of Mines and keep the Altars clear of adds. We found that it took us too long to deal with the mines and over time we weren't quite able to keep up as new mines spawned.

What finally worked for us was this:

• At the start, we positioned everyone to grab one of the Craniums (tracking the locations of the second craniums which appear after the first ones are picked up).
  • We placed the first three Vex Craniums at each Altar so we had one of each element charging.
  • We called the first set of three elements and the second set of three craniums were then delivered based on that set. (So if the first set is 2x void and 1x solar, then two Craniums would be placed in the void Altars to make 3 charging void Craniums.)
  • We continued to call who was grabbing a Cranium and where it would be taken as new mines appeared.

When we did it correctly, we generally destroyed all three mines well in advance of the next set appearing which gave us time to keep the adds clear. Rather than using dedicated roles we just focused on good communication to decide where the Craniums needed to go and who was taking them. Keeping one Cranium baking at each Altar helped us ensure we could get an early lead on the mines.

What worked for other teams? Did we miss any observations in this encounter?

Raid Lair Encounter #2 Strategy *SPOILERS*

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, December 14, 2017, 10:10 (2386 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Man, this encounter was so much fun, both mechanically, the level of difficulty, and also aesthetically pleasing.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 15, 2017, 21:39 (2384 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Man, this encounter was so much fun, both mechanically, the level of difficulty, and also aesthetically pleasing.

I absolutely loved this encounter. It looks incredible, it's fun to figure out and fun to execute. The brilliance of having a Vex theme in an ostensibly Cabal themed raid was cool--the fact that it's a Vex that's inside a planet eater that got sucked up from the planet it's eating . . . it's just cool.

This is what Destiny is good at.

I quite liked the vanilla Leviathan Raid, but this is much more in line with what I was actually expecting from it, actually delving into the heart of the machine.

I'm really curious what the next Lair will be now.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, December 14, 2017, 10:48 (2386 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think for ours we generally had three shooters, one for each element, then more or less freelanced cooking the craniums. Shooters could grab a different element if needed and things like cooking shooting could shift a little as needed if we suddenly had to deal with three of the same color crystals appearing or something.

Really, the most important thing is to have everybody try and stay aware of what elements are needed and redirect people to the appropriate cooking station on the fly. We found that not speaking up caused a lot more harm than calling out the wrong thing because even if you were wrong you would almost always be corrected where as not saying anything could lead to a skull getting deposited in the wrong spot with no real way to recover.

We beat this encounter pretty easily on our second Raid Lair run... Though that probably has more to do with what the next encounter requires.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 15, 2017, 21:38 (2384 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, December 15, 2017, 21:44

We did it with Defenders and runners. 3 pairs of one runner and one defender.

Defenders guard the charging pads, and the runners grab and place the craniums.

Defender calls out the colors as the mines appear, and the runners each call responsibility for one to charge, or they tell their paired defender to get it. We only charged what needed to be charged. If no craniums were charging and there were no mines on your side as a defender, you’d wander over and help others.

So if 2 solars and a void come up on the void side, the void defender would call that out. The three runners would each claim an element, then get a cranium and charge it, or tell their defender to do it if positioning is better. Then they stay with their cranium and shoot the corresponding mine. In this situation, the arc defender would leave and help out since there’s nothing happening on their platform this round.

The key for us was to be flexible, yet return to this basic setup after curveballs.

And yeah. This encounter kicked ass. Challenging, yet a lot of room for flexibility and recoverability.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 15, 2017, 22:16 (2384 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I’m fascinated to see you say that you can kill two minds with a single cranium. Based on our testing it seems like it was an open question whether they even had 150 percent of the damage needed.

Then again, I thought there were only five craniums not six so who knows?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, December 15, 2017, 22:35 (2384 days ago) @ Vortech

We were definitely able to kill two mines with a single cranium, but you can’t waste any energy to do so. Pulsing the craniums help and can be a useful technique for later.

what was your power level?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 15, 2017, 22:51 (2384 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

314 or less I think

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, December 15, 2017, 22:52 (2384 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

it’s an extended cooking metaphor.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 15, 2017, 22:23 (2384 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I have to believe someone who is working on this Raid encounter is someone who has worked in a professional kitchen before. Doing it is so reminiscent of trying to combine elements from different stations so that things come out in the right order despite different cook times (based on how far they need to run around). And the orders come in at their pace, not yours. Ultimately it all depends on communication and most failures can be tracked back to someone who stoped talking.

I kept having to stop myself from slipping in the kitchen lingo. Fire one arc; Three void, all day.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, December 15, 2017, 22:57 (2384 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Last time I ran it, there was an excessive number of Void crystal. Seriously, There was always at least 2 Void crystals active at any time (no, not each spawn, active). We had planned to keep one of each cooking at all times, but this Void Mania threw a wrench into our plan. We just winged it as we went.

Communication is a LOT more important than plans on this part, it seems.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread