No Longer Neglected - Round 2: “The City” (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, December 15, 2017, 16:34 (2335 days ago)

Previously, on No Longer Neglected:

Tell the story of your Ghost finding your Guardian.

We had some great entires, and a series of Haiku. Choosing a winner was tough! In the top three were Mankitten’s “most inept Guardian of all time”, breizen’s “Out of Darkness”, and Krony’s “The Third Pillar.” Although they varied in tone, each offered a great look at a Ghost finding its Guardian. Ultimately, Korny’s fireteam’s search for a Hunter barely edged its way to victory with its blend of humor, lore, and gameplay-related silliness.

So, Korny, choose either the Exotic weapon poster or the plush Ghost and find some way to contact me with your address and I’ll send your choice your way!

Now, for the 2nd No Longer Neglected prompt, we have something a bit special. cheapLEY generously donated a copy of the Art of Destiny to this Fan Fiction cause, so I offered him the chance to choose what we’d all write about next. Here’s the result:

The City has been in existence for perhaps hundreds of years, yet we’ve seen so little of its architecture or its people. Change that by writing three scenes detailing life in the City during each of the following important time periods:

- The Dark Age that followed the collapse when Guardians were rare, Light-bearing warlords held distant populations within their grips of terror, the Fallen raided and pillaged all too often, and the City, while relatively safe beneath the Traveler, had yet to see its walls built or its power consolidated.

- The City Age or the Age of Triumph, where the City and its Guardians pushed back the hordes of unfriendly aliens and eventually became one of the few organized powers left in our solar system.

- The age that we find ourselves in post Red War, where the promise of the City’s walls and Guardians has been shattered, yet the renewed Light of the Traveler once again offers hope to civilians and Guardians alike.

Your three scenes can be interconnected if you want them to be. It might be interesting to look at how a specific location or Guardian changed over the centuries. Or you could give us a different location and point of view for each scene, perhaps delving into the aspects you think would have been the most interesting in each time period. The choice is entirely up to you.

The winner of this round will have their choice of the aforementioned Art of Destiny book (which is really great) or a Bungie mug. You have until Jan 1st to enter!

[image] [image] [image]

Oh, there is one more thing... Writing and sharing stories is great, but kinda disappointing if nobody ever comments on the thing you put time and work into. That’s not going to happen here. I’ll be leaving a comment on every story once they are up on the DBO Fan Fiction site and I highly encourage others to do so as well.

And, this being No Longer Neglected, I’m offering that encouragement in the form of the exclusive Bungie Store Black Friday emblem “Darkest Day.” The best / most helpful / most constructive comment left on either a story submitted as part of No Longer Neglected or a story that’s already up on the DBO Fan fiction site but currently has no comments will win the emblem code. From now on, commenting on stories and winning a smaller prize will also be a part of each No Longer Neglected round.

So, good luck storytellers and helpful commenters. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread