Does anyone have the -opposite- vault space problem? (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 18:18 (2473 days ago)

I must play this game wrong.

-Armor-

-Only main 1 character (titan), so I don't have a 3 times the gear to 'collect'

• If something doesn't increase my light level I instant shard it.
  • If I don't like the way an armor looks I shard it. (or infuse to something I do)
  • If an exotic armor doesn't fit my play style, I shard it.
  • I don't like the Solar class. Anything specifically for it gets sharded.
  • Butt towel doesn't make me stronger? Shard it.
  • Shaders? Shard them.
  • Ornaments? Shard them.

That said, there are a HANDFULL of sets I like, and I'll lean my playing to the activities that reward them. Maybe my tastes are discriminating enough that it makes these decisions easier.

-Weapons-
-I give new weapons a chance, but my tastes from D1 have carried over:

• New hand cannon, pulse rifle or handcannon? Instant shard.
  • New exotic weapon I know doesn't fit my style? Instant shard
  • Ornament for a weapon I don't like? Shard.
  • Don't like the way a gun looks? Shard.
  • Gun doesn't 'wow' me after shooting 3 magazines? Shard.
  • LOVE SMGs. AR's are now instant shard.
  • Like linear fusion rifles. Keep maybe 2. Shard rest unless new one wows me.
  • Can't tell if Grenade launchers suck, or I'm bad with them. Shard until determined.
  • Sword? SHARD.

The first bright engram I decrypted gave me the ornament for MIDA. I love MIDA. All I used in D1. You could say that perhaps I DON'T try out new things enough, but that isn't true. I find a thing I like that fits my style and I stick with it. SMG that buffs MIDA? And I happen to like SMGs already?? WOOOOO. There's my PvP setup, especially given the changes to crucible and how heavy ammo is distributed and what heavy weapons are, I don't even bother! Only need a few other weapons to round out range\element combos for PvE.

-Eververse-

I'm not a comletionist, and I see through your skinner box, Bungie. I'm immune.

• Ship? Shard. Kept the first green one I got.
  • Sparrow? Shard. Got an exotic one, shard the rest.
  • Shaders? I only like 3 colors. Shard.Feel irrational anger that I can't delete a stack of the damn things at once.
  • Ornaments for shit I won't use? Shard.
  • Weapon\armor mods? Unless I have a stack of 3 to convert, shard.
  • Emotes and emblems? Shardy shard shard-aroonie.

-Max out glimmer. Blow it on weapon mods. Shard 90% of that. Buy gunsmith engrams with parts. Shard 90% of that. Rinse/repeat.

-YET I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU ALL HAVE LIKE, 1000 LEGENDARY SHARDS AND I'M LIKE

[image]

I was the same way in Destiny 1.

I'd let y'all borrow my vault space if I could :(

+1

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 18:32 (2473 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I have 65 items in my vault. Most of them are "collection" weapons (the few Trials things I have, the raid weapons), exotics that I haven't used enough yet to determine if I like them or will shard them, and by far the most slots are purple mods that I stick in there to clear out inventory space on my character to get more so I don't have to go to the postmaster all the damn time. I've been sticking ornaments in there lately too, if I don't have the gear it's for.

lol... that's me on Xbox :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 18:48 (2473 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

Does anyone have the -opposite- vault space problem?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 19:06 (2473 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Me! I have three characters, and I generally hoard stuff (I still have my damaged armors from when I started the game)... and I still have tons of room in my vault (and I stick all of my blue mods and shaders in it). People have to really be going out of their way to fill the vault. Seems crazy to me.

But I gave up trying to make sense of their crying long ago. *shrug*

Also, even if it's not exotic, do keep a "Faster Spawn" sparrow. I have one that's at 150 speed, and I still use it over my exotic 160 speed one. You can't go back!

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 19:10 (2473 days ago) @ Korny

Also, even if it's not exotic, do keep a "Faster Spawn" sparrow. I have one that's at 150 speed, and I still use it over my exotic 160 speed one. You can't go back!

Last night, I got a Rupture - a CoO Legendary sparrow with 160 speed and faster spawn. I'm set now.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 00:39 (2472 days ago) @ Korny

Fast spawn sparrows get me goofed. The feel is off. I'd rather take one of the lateral thrust ones. Whatever that perk is called.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, December 21, 2017, 06:42 (2472 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Fast spawn sparrows get me goofed. The feel is off. I'd rather take one of the lateral thrust ones. Whatever that perk is called.

....sparrows have perks now? I'm the worst at paying attention. I've just been looking speed..

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 06:59 (2472 days ago) @ ManKitten

....sparrows have perks now? I'm the worst at paying attention. I've just been looking speed..

Yeah, most of them are sort of lame and dumb though. One automatically reloads your weapons when you drive it. I literally don't remember any of the others, except the best one basically almost instant spawns, instead of taking five seconds.

Except, even that's dumb. Why not just make every Sparrow spawn quickly? What's the reason for making is slower, except to have an inconvenience that you can design a "perk" to fix that people can through RNG?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 08:59 (2472 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Except, even that's dumb. Why not just make every Sparrow spawn quickly? What's the reason for making is slower, except to have an inconvenience that you can design a "perk" to fix that people can through RNG?

Yes, I'm saying this over the top to make a point: What's the reason for making us reload weapons? It's because it's a design decision. And there have actually been times where that perk on the sparrow has saved my life.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:38 (2472 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yes, I'm saying this over the top to make a point: What's the reason for making us reload weapons? It's because it's a design decision. And there have actually been times where that perk on the sparrow has saved my life.

I can sort of see where you're coming from.

Reloading weapons is a form of resource management. Ultimately, it's way to control the pace of combat. What would the game be like if you could fire Sweet Business infinitely (other than awesome, obviously)?

While there are rare cases where it matters, the rate of spawning a sparrow is only a matter of convenience or inconvenience. The sparrow isn't really utilized as a combat vehicle--it's mostly just a way to get around the destinations quickly. The spawn rate perk seems to have been designed in a roundabout way--rather than just making the sparrows spawn quickly for everyone, they spawn slowly with a random perk that allows them to spawn quickly.

Lots of perks are like that. If they thought it was neat, fun, or just beneficial to have planetary mats show up on the map, why not just make that the default?

None of them are really game changing, but they all seem almost explicitly designed to circumvent tiny annoyances. In fact, they all almost create those tiny annoyances. If those perks didn't exist at all, some of that stuff might still be annoying, but it'd just be how the game worked, rather than a perceived annoyance that you can buy your way out of.

Yes, this is slightly hyperbolic. Most of those things aren't significant or game changing. But having the perks available through the Eververse completely changes the way that the default state is perceived.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:22 (2472 days ago) @ cheapLEY

While there are rare cases where it matters, the rate of spawning a sparrow is only a matter of convenience or inconvenience. The sparrow isn't really utilized as a combat vehicle--it's mostly just a way to get around the destinations quickly.

Huh. I guess your playstyle is way different than mine.

I'd say there are instances EVERY NIGHT of me realizing I've gotten myself into a situation I can't fight my way out of, and popping a sparrow to escape. Really. Every single night I play.

lol - you probably just have better situational awareness than I do. :)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:31 (2472 days ago) @ Claude Errera

While there are rare cases where it matters, the rate of spawning a sparrow is only a matter of convenience or inconvenience. The sparrow isn't really utilized as a combat vehicle--it's mostly just a way to get around the destinations quickly.

Huh. I guess your playstyle is way different than mine.

I'd say there are instances EVERY NIGHT of me realizing I've gotten myself into a situation I can't fight my way out of, and popping a sparrow to escape. Really. Every single night I play.

lol - you probably just have better situational awareness than I do. :)

Hmm. I guess it depends on the activity. In a situation like that, I'd usually just fight for as long as possible and take the death and just respawn. Unless it's a Nightfall or Raid or something like that where deaths actually matter, staying alive isn't a huge priority for me. :P

You're also right, though--I pretty much don't ever use a sparrow other than strictly as a means of transportation between encounters or patrol areas.

Very similar to how I operate.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 19:54 (2473 days ago) @ Revenant1988

The biggest difference is I go Solar all the way. I do enjoy a few more weapon selections but overall, maintaining collections is not even close to a priority.

Shard, shard and shard.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 20:03 (2473 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Why is the vault a thing even? hear me out.

You can carry 30 weapons at a time. Has anybody ever felt like that was a limit? Like you could do so much better if only you could carry an 31st weapon? Even for the hardest of activities, I feel like I could get by with 2 weapons in each slot, MAYBE a third.

Is this limitation even a limitation? 10 weapons per slot is infinity. It wouldn't impact the game at all if to equip a weapon, you select the slot, then from a menu choose from any weapon on your account. Given that you can easily transfer items between characters, account wide makes sense. You could even easily have the same item equipped on all three characters; after all they can't play at the same time. All this saves is frustration. And you wouldn't need a vault. Just a list.

Shaders? Select apply shader, and again, a list of all shaders you have on your account.

it even makes sense in game. When you get a weapon, presumably you could transmat it. Locked equipment? You're in a place where transmat is blocked.

I'd like to hear what the vault makes better.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 20:09 (2473 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Load times presumably. That being said, I’d much rather your solution.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 20:16 (2473 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Funny, the final fantasy SNES games could load menus with 100s of items with no load times. So can an Xbox or PS4. Bungie just has to choose function over fashion. The icons are even bad. Finding a particular scout rifle in your vault can be a pain if you don't know the icon by heart.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 21:13 (2473 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Funny, the final fantasy SNES games could load menus with 100s of items with no load times. So can an Xbox or PS4. Bungie just has to choose function over fashion. The icons are even bad. Finding a particular scout rifle in your vault can be a pain if you don't know the icon by heart.

To be fair, none of those games stored your stuff on an external server that needed to be checked for every load. And the icons are better than text strings IMO. Connected to this, you should shard anything you cannot recognize instantly.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 21:18 (2473 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

To be fair, none of those games stored your stuff on an external server that needed to be checked for every load. And the icons are better than text strings IMO. Connected to this, you should shard anything you cannot recognize instantly.

You shouldn’t need to poll the server to display what you have. That loads once when you start your character and is saved. The server is then polled only when the state changes. Equip a weapon, then the server checks to make sure that’s legal. But display what you have completely client side.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 21:59 (2472 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You shouldn’t need to poll the server to display what you have. That loads once when you start your character and is saved. The server is then polled only when the state changes. Equip a weapon, then the server checks to make sure that’s legal. But display what you have completely client side.

I think that’s a reasonable statement, but the thing takes so long to load that I’m not convinced it doesn’t check each time.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:03 (2472 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I think that’s a reasonable statement, but the thing takes so long to load that I’m not convinced it doesn’t check each time.

Also, you never know how many loop holes could be exploited by not checking every time. They probably are doing it specifically for data integrity.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:25 (2472 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Connected to this, you should shard anything you cannot recognize instantly.

lol - I confuse Nightshade and Origin Story all the time. :) I don't want to shard either one!

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:35 (2472 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yeah, but at least you do recognize them. Even if memory isn’t serving as to why.

...artificial scarcity?

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 20:39 (2473 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 07:44 (2472 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I typically don't have a vault space problem. I DO have an inventory problem with weapons, but it's specifically the elemental slots. The reason is that I have a particular system where I tend to use certain weapon types on certain characters, to fit the playstyle I use on them. Specifically, there's usually 2 weapon types I'll tend to use in a given slot. So, just as an example, on my Titan I tend to carry shotguns and grenade launchers (more on those further down) in the heavy slot. Now, I also try to have one of each damage type on hand - while D2 did make type matching less crucial, I still find that shield-break detonation tactically useful so I try to match when I can. You can kind of see the problem here - on any given character, any slot, I generally have a minimum of 6 spots used up, just for the stuff I want to keep around. Throw in a couple of exotics and I quickly get to a point where I've only got 1 or 2 spaces for picked-up items.

Obviously, this doesn't affect the kinetic slot, so I have plenty of space there. I almost wish I could sacrifice a row there to get 1 or 2 more spots in the other categories.

[*]If something doesn't increase my light level I instant shard it.
[*]If I don't like the way an armor looks I shard it. (or infuse to something I do)
[*]If an exotic armor doesn't fit my play style, I shard it.

I pretty much agree with all of this, though on the armor I am taking more than just looks into account - I also have certain stats I want for each subclass, so I'll only use stuff that takes my stats in the direction I want. It's easy enough now to get a new copy of any found exotic that I don't see the need to keep them around taking up space.

[*]I don't like the Solar class. Anything specifically for it gets sharded.

I wasn't big on Sunbreaker in D2 either, until I realized that I could stack the Hallowfire Heart chest piece's effect with the "Sun Warrior" effect under Code of the Siegebreaker. Now it's thermite grenades 4 dayz.

[*]Shaders? Shard them.

Up until yesterday, I would have asked why. But yesterday, I finally got "full" on shaders (why is that a thing???) and had to move some.

[*]Ornament for a weapon I don't like? Shard.

Serious question here, because I don't think I've ever tried, and I'm not currently in possession of an ornament that would qualify: Is it not possible to activate an ornament without actually having the weapon? If memory serves, you can highlight the ornament in inventory and it has an "unlock" or "activate" option, or something like that, right? Why wouldn't you just activate it, which would still take it out of your inventory? Unless, like I said, perhaps you can't do it without having the actual weapon?

[*]Can't tell if Grenade launchers suck, or I'm bad with them. Shard until determined.

IMO, a lot of them do suck, especially the single-shot flashbang type. The stun effect is pretty useful, but the actual damage is piddly for a power weapon. Disclaimer: I have not tried any of those since the recent-ish patch where Bungie claimed to have increased their damage. They said it was a "slight" damage increase, but they also said that about Feedback Fence's damage increase, and that thing has gone from only ever throwing enemies back, to often killing them now, so the launchers might have improved significantly as well. But, in my experience, the only launcher I've really liked has been Beringer's Memory. It does enough damage to be useful, the grenades stick and can be used as proximity mines, which is SUPER useful to hold up charging enemies, and on top of that, it has the auto-reload when stowed perk.

[*]Sword? SHARD.

I'll say this about swords: I really enjoy using them. Like, a lot. But I never find them practical, because I always end up coming up against an enemy that they're not useful against - bosses with stomp attacks, etc. I want to use them, but I don't usually. I do keep 1 of each damage type in the vault, just in case.

The first bright engram I decrypted gave me the ornament for MIDA. I love MIDA. All I used in D1.

MIDA Multi-Tool is the way and the light. BTW, did they ever nerf that thing for PvP, or did the meta just move on/people forgot about it? I don't hear anyone complaining about it lately, but I also don't remember any changes.

-Eververse-

I love the Eververse items, but I get enough of them that I've never really felt tempted to spend real money on anything.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread